Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Really long explanation shortened: No. You can browse thru past threads to see why it's not really all the feasible, if nothing else, from a financial "bang for the buck" standpoint, it's cheaper to trade in on a VR4.

Although, there is http://www.electricsupercharger.com/ that has something in the $300-400 range.

EricB

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Frankly, I've been quite public in my lack of support for the expensive and awkward turbo retro-fit in NA cars. I understand what it is like to want to run with the big boys in the car you love. Although it still is a dirty word, I personally would investigate NO2 systems, which have gotten more precise and safe in recent years. Can you still blow an engine with NO2? Sure, the same way you can by over boosting a turbo, eh, Roger? NO2 is also cheaper, and can be used in various doses and only when necessessary.

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
If you mean to just add one turbo, and not going for the VR4 simulation, it can most likely be done. There are so many after market turbo kits for cars, but none I've seen for Stealths or 3000gts. That just means they don't make them for sale. You can always find someone to do custom work. The reason there are no aftermarket turbo kits for our NA 3S's is because there is already a turbo version, and it would be a waste of money to try to make them in a factory. This is the same with all lines of cars that have a turbo model. A custom turbo kit with one turbo would probably cost around $2000-$3000. I have heard that unorthodox racing will custom fit a super charger to a stealth or 3000 for about $5000, but will take a month to do. All you need to do is ask some good race shops that can do custom work. Just because your car was never meant to have a turbo, doesn't mean that you can't put one in. All the hondas, acuras, and nissans have turbo kits and were never meant to have turbos either. It can be done.

Jason

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The problem is : .... we have a V6 installed with limited space. If you want to install a single turbo kit how the heck do you want to feed it ? If you look at the NSX Turbo kit then it would likely connect to our downpipe... no chance. And routing the exhaust to a central location ?? No chance #2

This is why a TT setup makes sense but is also pretty expensive. Two airchargers with no intercooler would you give you the ability to run 4-5psi of boost achieving 290hp. But cost for all this stuff will be around $5000 as even only one aircharger is damn expensive.

Everything is possible .. it's just a matter of money

·
Got snow?
409 Posts
There's no reason why not. I have considered this many times myself. Since the NA DOHC motor runs a fairly high compression ratio, a small single turbo running ~4 psi would be perfect. My ideas for doing this would include using a lot of used stock TT parts from wrecking yards to help keep costs down (i.e. exh. mani, turbo, fuel pump, etc.) Other items would have to be custom fabricated (IC piping) or adapted from other applications. Check out this month's issue of Hot Rod for a good example. There's a Vega in there that has a turbo '63 Buick aluminum 215 V8 with an intercooler from a Turbo Coupe T-Bird and a turbo from something else (can't remember). The point is, anything can be done with a little forethought and ingenuity and it doesn't neccessarily have to break your wallet.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts