Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My taillights and dash lights are out and I'm having a difficult time tracking down the source of the problem. I've swapped out the taillight relay under the hood with three other relays and no luck. I checked and replaced most fuses with no luck. I pulled the lower dash panel and checked the wiring and plugs and still found nothing. And of course, I checked the taillight bulbs too. The hazards, brake lights and turn signals all work. I guess I'm down to the rheostat and the column switch. Is there a way to bypass the rheostat? I looked up in the manual how to test it but I don't have a test light. And the problem started intermittently if that helps.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
I like to think I'm fast
839 Posts
yes you canbypass the rheostat. if you unplug it there are three wires. two multi color and one ground wire. one wire goes to the factory stereo and is not used anymore if an aftermarket stereo is installed. the other wire goes to the rest of the lights. so just use a jumper wire between that and the ground and veolia. i had it like this for over a year as my rheostat was burned out

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any chance you can give me pin numbers? My wire colors don't match yours. I have one green wire and two black wires with various stripes. I'll have to go back down and check the stripes.

Thanks

·
Creator of weird stuff...
4,117 Posts
Dash lights are dimmed using the ground wire not power. All you would need to do is ground one of the wires from the rheostat to have them on all the time.

DO NOT CONNECT THE POWER +12v TO THE GAUGE GROUND "white/green".

You need to connect the yellow/black to the black wire.

Check this page for details on the wiring: Stealth 316 - Wiring tips - power, lights, and ground connections

·
I like to think I'm fast
839 Posts
yes. just check the yellow black wire as dr gonzo said. it should have 12 volt power with the lights on. and thank you dr gonzo for the wire clarification. it has been awhile since i have seen those wires

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dash lights are dimmed using the ground wire not power. All you would need to do is ground one of the wires from the rheostat to have them on all the time.

DO NOT CONNECT THE POWER +12v TO THE GAUGE GROUND "white/green".

You need to connect the yellow/black to the black wire.

Check this page for details on the wiring: Stealth 316 - Wiring tips - power, lights, and ground connections
So does the black/yellow wire need to connected to a +12v wire or power source or does it need to be grounded? Because ive seen some say leave it unhooked and some say ground it and others say connect to constant or switched +12v wire.. why does wiring have to be more of a pain than the actual mechanics🤦

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
3,422 Posts
So does the black/yellow wire need to connected to a +12v wire or power source or does it need to be grounded?
Since thread is over 10 years old, you might not get an answer from any of people on this thread.

But to answer your question, The Black/yellow stripe wire would just need to be connected together with the solid Black wire from opposite side of the rheostat. Pin 2 & 3 of the connector, you could simply put a jumper between those two middle pins of connector.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since thread is over 10 years old, you might not get an answer from any of people on this thread.

But to answer your question, The Black/yellow stripe wire would just need to be connected together with the solid Black wire from opposite side of the rheostat. Pin 2 & 3 of the connector, you could simply put a jumper between those two middle pins of connector.
Oh damn I didn't even look at the date LOL but appreciate the hell out of you answering it and thank you very much that's the simplest straightforward answer I've gotten and it worked. Thank you kind sir!!!🤘🤘

1 - 10 of 10 Posts