Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought it would look a little better to have the guages put into the gauge pod already in the dash. It would be tough to get the dash off to get them in there, but I think it'd be worth it if any could fit in there. Then I would be able to have matching guages when I decide to get a dash light kit for the speedo area.

Jason

·
Gig'em
268 Posts
I have been wondering the same. I would much rather put the guages in the dash than have them hanging off the A-pillar! Not that it looks or is bad.... Just MHO.

Has anyone tried/done this?

M

·
0 Posts
When Brian from gt.pro was installing my boost controller he said he likes to do them this way also. He uses the HKS gauges I think, I'm not sure what exact size though, you'd have to ask him. He also said that you have to pull the entire dash off to get back there so it's ain't easy or cheap I would imagine. But in the end, it looks almost like stock, except you've got larger, better looking/more accurate gauges that read HKS on them as well. I'm probably going to do it this way down the road when I have the need, time and money, etc.

Matt

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I don't know first hand, but I'm told that the OEM guages are a 3 gauge SINGLE unit, so mixing matching / replacing, could require some fabricating, and taking the dash apart would be a pain, but I agree the outcome could be well worth it!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Aggie if you want to get together some time and try changing the dash turbo gauge i will help.

·
Dodge should sponsor me
2,014 Posts
if your really going to take the dash out, DONT FOFGET TO CHANGE THE DASH VENTS! even if there not broken, if your car is only a couple years old, i would change them now so you dont regret it later.

·
Gig'em
268 Posts
Space Coyote....

Thats a good idea! I will have to take you up on that! Have you taken the dash apart before? Does anyone know what size gauges are in the pod?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I haven't done anything except put on my air intake.

Two heads are better than one though. I think we could do it. May have to check with the manual or mitsubishi to get the gauge size.

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
The service manual shows all 3 gauges as one unit. It might not be too hard to cut the pod and replace a particular gauge, but unfortunatly there is one printed circuit board (PCB) for all three gauges. It's this PCB that's going to mess it up. I don't know of any way to get around that. But if Brian has done it (is there anything he HASN'T done?) then it must be possible. I'll be pulling the dash on a 92 RT/TT soon so I'll post more details then.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Actually, does anybody make a pillar pod trio that mounts ON TOP of the existing guage cluster?

Essentially it would look like a trio on a trio.

What do you guys think?

·
Gig'em
268 Posts
Coyote... that is the best way to go! Cant be scared! Jump on in!!

Could you replace all three and not worry about the PC board? When I do mine I want to go with all white faced guages.... Would aftermarket guages go with the factory sending units for oil pressure and water temp?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Aggie,

You will definitely have to do all three at once. You will also probably have to fabricate mounting hardware for your new gauges. I doubt if you can use the factory sending units with your aftermarket gauges. Most gauges will come with new sending units.

Dan

PS - I would allow at least a couple of days for the project.

[This message has been edited by DanM_94_VR4 (edited January 10, 2000).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts