Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Can someone tell me how to install clutch/flywheel?

459 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  brainfood 
#1 ·
I have the motor out so I dont need any instructions on dropping trans or anything just the actual clutch/flywheel install what do I need to order also? a throwout bearing and what else? should I bleed the clutch slave cylinder also? thanks

#2 ·
1) take off flywheel bolts and yank the flywheel off. almost drop it on your foot in the process.
2) take off clutch cover, yank it off along w/disk.
3) put new flywheel on. there's a little thing that sticks out to align it to...I think the torque was 60 lb-ft. or so for these.
4) put the clutch on the flywheel and use your handy-dandy alignment tool to get it centered.
5) put the clutch cover back on and put on some steel boots and kick the son of a bitch until it goes on, 'cuz that's what it took for me to get it all the way back on :) I think these bolts are to be torqued to 15 lb.-ft.

Note that getting the tranny's shaft onto the clutch disk was a bitch and a half in its own right as well. Took me and another guy the better half of a day to get the tranny into the clutch. Grr.

#3 ·
took me half a day to get the tranny off the motor.. I pryed and pryed and finally I put my feet on the motor mount brackets and pulled it off with my legs... course it ended up in my lap.. the old clutch and flywheel are off thanks, I put the old flywheel back in the trans to leave it there while I waited for the rebuild and smashed my finger with it.. of course... that this is heavy I will be glad to have the fidanza one I can see how it will make a difference. also the only new parts I need are the throwout bearing?

#4 ·
brainfood,
I replaced the flywheel with a Fidenza flywheel recently and it was simple. No real method other than remove the old and install the new. A large screwdriver will hold the flywheel while you're tightening the bolts. The clutch R&R is listed on Jeff Lucius' site.
To make the installation of the tranny back into the clutch plate a breeze, remove the top rubber breather from the bell housing so you can see into the tranny so you can line the shaft up with the clutch plate. Once it's lined up, you might have to turn the crankshaft pulley with a 22mm, (I believe), socket and ratchet to get the splines lined up just right and then just slide it in. The first time I removed the tranny, I fought trying to get it lined up. (almost 2 hours). Never again. I can line it up by myself in less than 15 minutes now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.