Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know that the whole lash adjuster/rod knock thing has been extensively overdone here but I still have some questions. My car ( '91 3000gt SL ~120k mi. ) makes two distinctly different noises. The first I'm sure is the lash adjusters. You can here the normal valve train noise with a few ticks that are louder than the rest. Note: this noise can only be heard from outside the car. The second noise is the one that's got me confused. You can only hear it inside the car, only at idle, and only after the engine is warm. It sounds like someone is kicking the engine bay side of the firewall with some soft rubber soled shoes, or like lightly tapping the back of an acoustic giutar that has no strings with your knuckle. Sometimes the engine will idle a little ruff sometimes you can't even tell it's running at all, it dosen't seem to change the noise at all--it's always there given that the engine is warm and idling.
My first thought was rod bearing, but I'm not sure. Wouldn't I hear rod bearing at all rpm? I've had no loss of power and the oil pressure is were it's always been (1/4 at idle, 1/2+ under load ).
Does anybody know what the hell is going on???

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Not positive, but could it be your engine mount, where the rubber has worn away and you are hearing the metal bolt tap the mount?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts