Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi is there someone that can help me do a timing belt on my 91 mits 3000gt sl? Im from new cumberland pa. I have a garage and have tools only tool I dont have is the spectial mitsubishi tool dor the tensioner. Ill buy one if I have to. New cumberland is 15mins from york and 5 to 10 mins from harrisburg ill pay you for doing it and pay for gas thanks

· BAWC: In the Mix
8,566 Posts
You just want the timing belt done? Can you drive out to me? I live at 19311.

· BAWC: In the Mix
8,566 Posts
Give me a couple weeks. I don't have a running car at the moment.

· Registered
297 Posts
The tool is not that special and can be found here Timing Tensioner Tool*-*Mitsubishi 3000GT*/*Dodge Stealth Parts or other places like ebay.

I would also suggest searching ebay for "Park Tool TW-1 Torque Wrench, 0-60 Inch-Pounds, 1/4" so you have something to attach to that tensioner tool and be able to accurately adjust the torque to spec.

Have a look at this timing belt change walkthru, its not so bad.. 1991 Stealth RT/TT: Timing Belt Replacement

On a side note can anyone explain why/if cam gear holders are necessary on the DOHC. Ive done the timing belt on a SOHC and the cams would hold on the mark once you set them. I am very curious about this.

· Registered
1,359 Posts
Yea I just want the timing belt done unless I do need the waterpump done. Im not going to trust driving her. The timing belt threads are showing and theres an hole in the belt. Thats why I offered gas money as well
Do the water pump at the same time. Do not cut that corner because it will bite you in the ass.

· Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
9,113 Posts
On a side note can anyone explain why/if cam gear holders are necessary on the DOHC. Ive done the timing belt on a SOHC and the cams would hold on the mark once you set them. I am very curious about this.
The cams do NOT stay. Valve spring pressure will push them to a different position. You can do it without the holders, but it cuts down on the frustration level if you use them.

+2 on destroyers advice on the water pump.

Juggalo- If you can see damage to the belt DONT drive it. Belts fail when you cant see damage. It will fail, and soon if you can see damage!

-SP

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi people. So ive tried to do it myself it tool me 13 hrs. I took off the auto adjuster when I put a pin in then used a bar to pull up on the tensioner that that auto adjuster goes against.then bolted it up.. and yes I deff know what you mean by the vavle springs making the cam fly back or forth cam 3 and 4 they were easy and stayed using zip ties and I also used paper clamps. The cam one and 2 they gave problems. But got them aligned up and hurried and put the ties and paper clamps on. What I did was sat with the laptop and played each part step my step.. 13hrs later started it up.. now I have to find out why the car still shuts off when it gets warm like it did before and find out why it says I have no gas after I did a new fuel pump... of and I put the new waterpump on as well... so I still might need help lol

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and this wasnt an sohc it was an dohc and it was a pain in the butt. Butt once you watched the video like 2million times it makes it easier. Which if I can find a place to post the videos that I watched that helped me then ill post them on here jist case another new comer like me need help

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I fixed the shutting off when getting warm part, I turned on the car then setting the idle screw to alil higher so it doesnt shut off, then adjusted the timing adjuster near the throttle body, then readjusted the screw left it on for an hr just to make sure, but not theres alil smoke and plus theres oil coming out from the timing best area??

· Obsessive Carpolsive
2,459 Posts
Oh and this wasnt an sohc it was an dohc and it was a pain in the butt. Butt once you watched the video like 2million times it makes it easier. Which if I can find a place to post the videos that I watched that helped me then ill post them on here jist case another new comer like me need help
Props on going after it on your own!

If they were youtube vids you can just paste the url (web link) and it will automatically embedd them. I'm guessing this was one of the though...

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks ok ill have to try to post like that then. Yea it was actually pretty easy.. and I decided to take it all apart again. And use 3m tape on all the bolts and it actually did the trick no more oil leaks so far.. I usually junk cars when they have an issue but I always wanted one of these and wouldnt ever give it up. If it wasnt an 3s id drop a ping pong ball filled with bleach in the gas tank and walk away lol..

· Registered
131 Posts
The no gas issue is pretty simple. The fuel pump itself does not affect your gas gauge. Its that piece that moves up and down on a rod. Its called the floater. Make sure that you didn't accedently lunch it when you installed the fuel pump. First time I installed my fuel pump. I did that and it showed no gas on my gauge. Just take out your fuel pump assembly again and carefully out it back in making sure not to get the floater stuck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.