Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Doctor is in
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me two General electric capacitors that probably came out of an old server.

Here are the specs.

CAP 1. 76000UF -10+75%
40 VDC 50 SURGE
85C MAX AMBIENT

CAP 2. 61000UF -10+75%
50 VDC 65 SURGE
85C MAX AMBIENT

·
The Doctor is in
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just hooked up the .6 farad cap

It seems to do the trick. My bass sounds better now. I am curious to know if these computer grade caps are better than the ones used for car audio?

·
The Doctor is in
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like a fool

Thanks for clearing up that one dimas. I did notice a little better bass but its probably just in my head.

I guess its time to buy the real thing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
can happen to anybody :)

I don't know how much caps actually help with audio quality. there's been some debate. I would imagine that having a more stable source voltage helps though. caps smooth out that voltage, and 61000UF is a fairly large capacitor, so if you had a noisy source, it would clean it up and perhaps improve sound quality, which would be most audible in bass (i theorize). the purpose of huge caps like the 1F ones is so that if the amps ever need more current than the battery can supply, they could get it from the cap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I new a guy that claimed he Jump-Started his dead battery In a VW Bug with one. But I don't know it was BS or not. But Maybe?

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
My friend noticed some aerogel caps in his X-BOX that keep the clock running...and we figured that we can get these on digikey for about $12 a piece and they're about .5 Farads or something like that a piece...and just line up in a series and it'd help quite a bit. We're stll doing some research on it, but I'll let you guys know how that sounds

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
unless the peak voltage exceeds the rating of the capacitors, and you are wiring them in series to obtain a higher voltage tolerance. in which you then wire the series of capacitors in parallel with source and ground.

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
yup. total capacitance will be roughly equal to the smallest capacitor in a small series cap chain. not really worth it, but if you are using free computer caps it might be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts