Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation, I just threw on my winter tires which aren't in great shape, but I was hoping would last through the winter. I went out this morning and one of them got an unfixable rip in the sidewall. I also have two other snow tires with approximantelly the same amount of tread on them, but with a different tread pattern that the other four. So my question is, can I run one set on the front and another set on the back? I thought I remembered reading not to do this a while back, but I wasn't exactly planning on buying a set of snow tires after just spending $700 to replace my summer tires. Thanks.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
In theory it's not a good idea. Even tires with the same numerical size will vary enough to make a difference in the long run.

I'm still debating using different sizes front & rear that have a differene of 4 rotations per mile (same tires except for size; rotations per mile as quoted from the manufacturer, not calculated). I don't know if that's enough to break things or not.

·
just some guy.
2,573 Posts
John M said:

I'm still debating using different sizes front & rear that have a differene of 4 rotations per mile (same tires except for size; rotations per mile as quoted from the manufacturer, not calculated). I don't know if that's enough to break things or not.
hmm. that got me thinking. i just did a little search on the tires I have on my car, and the rear tires (toyo T1-S 255/35/19's) are a little taller and have 8 more revolutions per mile than my front tires (michelin pilot xgt z4 255/35/19's). and my car has been set up that way for quite some time (the michelins are discontinued if that says anything). you will be fine john.

and on top of that.....that answeres a question I have had for a while myself :-D..........I wonder if 315's will fit under the back of my car :-D......I got a plan heheheheh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.