Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that I could get my flywheel lightened by some local machine shop. Beats paying 300+ for a new one.
Any one have experiences with this? Also can the UDP's be shaved/lightened as well?

Thx

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I am sure you can have the flywheel lightened by a machine shop just make sure that they can balance it as well.The U.D.P. is already light.If you are talking about the stock pulley.It is 2 pieces connected by a rubber dampener it would be better to buy the aftermarket pulley.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
No idea about the flywheel.Check out the 3SX website for prices on the U.D.P.I think they are around $200.00 with the belts.

·
255 Posts
Lightened stock flywheel

Be careful with lightened stock flywheels. If not done exactly right they can be prone to EXPLODE under centrifigal (sp) forces. With the availability of aftermarket aluminum and chromoly flywheels it's probably not worth the risk. Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Explode, or break.

I don't understand exactly how they work but I can't see a flywheel breaking easily,

Please explain.

Thanks

·
Registered
709 Posts
A flywheel will spin as fast as the motor is turning. So if your doing 6000 RPMs your flywheel is spinning at 6000 RPMs. If the flywheel is not balanced perfectly, there would be a vibration (kind of like when a load of laundry in the washing machine is on one side and the machine starts vibrating). This could cause the flywheel to vibrate so violently that it explodes.

As a side note, I hear that turbocharged cars do not benefit from lightened flywheels like NA cars do.

The encyclopedia defines flywheel as such:

Flywheel, heavy metal wheel attached to a drive shaft, having most of its weight concentrated at the circumference. Such a wheel resists changes in speed and helps steady the rotation of the shaft where a power source such as a piston engine exerts an uneven torque on the shaft or where the load is intermittent, as in piston pumps or punches. By slowly increasing the speed of a flywheel a small motor can store up energy that, if released in a short time, enables the motor to perform a function for which it is ordinarily too small. The flywheel was developed by James Watt in his work on the steam engine.

So when you push in the clutch to change gears, the heavy flywheel keeps the RPMs from falling off to quickly.

At least this is how I see it. I’m no expert though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx Cameron,

Maybe i will just buy one
in turn shouldn't a flywheel put less stress on the internal parts and allow the car to accelerate quicker but drop off rpms quicker in shifting ?

as long as the car doesn't stall I shouldn't have a problem. I've heard possitive things from replacing the flywheel. Do I gain anything on the 1/4 mile ? I know top end might lose a bit. also any problems that might arise from replacing the flywheel with a lighter one, both in the long and short term?

thx

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah. The less mass in your drive train the faster it will rev up. If you’re real good at shifting, the lighter flywheel should prove beneficial. But normal driving around town, the lighter flywheel will actually put more stress on your clutch because under casual driving, one tends to shift slower and therefor the RPMs have time to fall off.

At least this is what I’m to understand. I’ll talk to my brother in law this weekend (he owns a shop and builds import dragsters) and confirm I got my facts right.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx Cameron,

I would appreciate it.

take care, and thx for the imput

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is an interesting idea. I bet a machine shop wouldn't charge more than like $50 and if you could get similar effects of an aftermarket flywheel it would be nice. Maybe you could get a compromise, lighter thatn stock, but not quite as light as the aftermarket, and get a little of both worlds. Let me know, i am about to change my clutch!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brian,

I will only be doing this early next summer. My car is in storage at the moment (canadian winter). I will be changing the clutch and synchos at the same time. Maybe UDP's.

Maybe you can try it out and let us know how that works out for you. I'm sure you can go to any local performance shop and ask where to get it done.
You are right, I would not have to go as light as the farenxa flywheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts