Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys it seams that i have a problem with my engine and i found out that there is a good deal for a front end from a 1994+ model(mine is a 1991-3).
did anybody change there engine from a 91-3 model to a +94 model,does it fit?
also do the wiring of the 1991-3 model fit the 94 moddel?
thanks yiannis.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but this is what I know/can remember:

Yes the engine will fit. However, the two engines are different. The 2nd gen 94+ engines are 4 bolt mains vs the 2 bolt mains of the 1st gen 91- (early?)93s. The 4 bolt are generally preferred. There are differences in the crank material, the location of the engine timing sensors and triggers, the number of O2 sensors, the sizes of the oil pans, timing belt covers and I think a few more things. You don't really want to swap in a 94-95 wire harness if you don't have to, because you lose the ability to datalog for tunning and engine damage prevention. So I'm pretty sure with some swaping of some 1st gen and 2nd gen parts and some modifications, you'll be able to use the 94 engine in your 91. It just won't be as easy as a direct 1st gen JSpec to 1st gen JSpec swap.

EDIT: I see I misread your intention with the wiring harness. Yes, your 91-93 wiring should work on a 94+ engine, ther just might be some slight modifications necessary (ie lengthening wire to reach the new crank angle sensor location).

Ron.

P.S. Let me know if you wind up with suspension. I still need some front ball joints to replace on my car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts