Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok maybe i just did not look hard enough but i have not heard of us dicussing Cams for our cars...they do make them correct? If so, what kind would i want to do my baby some good? I am not up on my info for them...and 3sx does not carry them...

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
dynamic has some. theyre regrinds. also if you're N/A dont waste your money on a stage III 3sx clutch.....stage II should be MORE than plenty. and if you do decide to do overkill dont get the 4 or 6 puck design...its not great for street use.

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
you really don't have a use for upgraded cams in an n/a car. they are fine for what you've got. But, dynamic does sell cams.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
WTF

SilverBullet said:
you really don't have a use for upgraded cams in an n/a car. they are fine for what you've got. But, dynamic does sell cams.
WTF? Cams in an NA are more significant then in a forced induction engine. Cams are one of the most important aspects when building a powerful all motor car. All motor cars use even higher lift cams then turbo cars. They don't matter as much in a turbo car because the air is being forced in anyway.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Yeah 3kgtmotorsports sells the regrind for 390 and it adds 15whp on a stock car.

No offense but cams are pretty damn important if you want to make big power. WTF do you think v8 guys buy heads and cam packages for thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so yes?

ok so sounds to me like i am lookin at a 10-15 WHEEL h/p??? Correct? and for about $400? So Dynamic and 3kGTmotorsports sell them? regrinds...not to be stupid but WTF are regrinds?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Regrinds require you to send in your cams and they machine the lobes to a different spec.

A full custom cam is made from scratch and is more expensive.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Remember when talking about changing Cam profiles, your talking about changing the whole character of how the car will react in a certain RPM....keep that in the back of your mind.... I would like to know the stats of the 3KGT motorsports cam. I would like to get a more aggressive Cam profile, but at the same time bump up the rev limit of the car to take advantage of it. Does anybody know at what point the idle starts to get lumpy? I would like to have a regrind done that has it's emphasis in the 4500-8000 range....But then again, I don't know if that will be lumpy or not... not that I mind:) :p

·
TPW Educator
1,602 Posts
Finally, an interesting topic/debate! I wonder what Wickeddrew would have to say about this?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Cams

A race grind will pretty much piss you off in stop and go traffic. A street grind is pretty decent for daily driveability and some good performance. I'm awaiting a complete performance engine build in my Diamante, Ive got cams sitting right here. They are longer duration instead of higher lift which means I will not lose any low end torque, my idle won't be annoying as hell, and I'll actually gain torque throughout the power band and I won't have to raise my shift point. Currently Im about low 300HP but after stroking and boring, porting and polishing, boring throttle body and intake manifold, upgrading to bigger valves, stronger valve springs, longer duration cams, cam gears, forged higher compression pistons, full engine balancing, and direct port nitrous injection and race gas I'm aiming for like 500-600 HP.

·
TPW Educator
1,602 Posts
If you are re-building anyway, why not add a turbo or two?
How are you going to mod your fuel system to take advantace of all of this?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
LVA3KGT said:
If you are re-building anyway, why not add a turbo or two?
How are you going to mod your fuel system to take advantace of all of this?
Well because I love nitrous. It makes me get a boner. I love ALL MOTOR power with like an additional 200 HP of nitrous when I need it. Thats what I want. As far as my fuel system I have upgraded injectors from RC engineering, I also have an Apexi AFC, and a fuel pressure regulater, Im also lookin for a fuel pump but don't know which one yet. Besides, how much do you think it would cost to build 600HP with turbos? Why would I spend MORE money on turbos to get the same kinda power?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
non turbo

Before I chose to go non turbo I was lookin at different turbo kits for the 6G72 and I liked the twin 20 G setup by DN performance, and they want like 6000 for that shit, that seems kinda expensive to me.

·
TPW Educator
1,602 Posts
SamAlam-
Sounds like a good reason to me. Hey, and no lag either!!!
Good Luck!;)

Bigkash-
You got more balls than me, buddy. Of course, I can barely change my headlights:rolleyes:
;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok a lil confused...

ok, now i am a lilttle bit confused, i am reading all these posts and i am not understanding them all...I understand what i got to do to get my cams or others cams regrinded and put in. Now, where i am confused is where you start to talk about shift change points and having to change injectors...am i going to have to do that? I did not think that it was goign to require me to do all that, a friend of mine has a Integra that he installed cams himself on...and he increased a lot of h/p with no feul or shift changes or anything. I was thinking that was all i was gonna need to do...

Also, what about cam gears? Am i gonna need them to get my timeing and tunning right after the cams?

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
LVA3KGT said:
Finally, an interesting topic/debate! I wonder what Wickeddrew would have to say about this?
Cams are THE biggest HP maker in any N/A engine. They are the heart and soul of the HP/TQ output.

BIGKASH said:
I got my valve covers off right now and grinding them my damn self, saves some bucks, I'm using sand paper, a file and dremel.
I think you're misunderstanding what "grinding" the cams means. When a shop does a "regrind" they weld on additional material to the lobes of the cam and then grind it down into a different shape to give more lift and duration. You can't regrind a cam without welding on more material unless you're reducing the lift and/or duration, which would reduce the HP output.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Thank God... I thought you were just grinding off the roughness on the cams where they don't contact anything. You need to start using the icons to let me know when you're joking. :lol3:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts