Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading this messageboard for a while. Thanks all of you for writing interesting messages. Now I have to decide between Camaro and Stealth. Oh, this is not an easy decision. I test-drove both and found both of them good cars. I love Stealth/3000GT, it's a great car but it costs twice more than Camaro. For the money I have I can buy 93-94 Stealth or 97-98 Camaro. And the tranny problems...
I am totally confused. If some of you folks have any ideas to share with me, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you can afford a 98 LS1 Camaro, you have enough for a newer Stealth or 3000gt than 94 I think. I dunno though if I had that much saved up when I got my car it probably would've been a Trans Am LS1 those engines are bad ass and strong. I dont regret buying my Stealth though. What I like best about it is the style and its uniqueness. Nobody has one hardly. Nowhere near the same numbers as camaros and shit like that.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey virtos, I think that it depends on what you are looking for. I owned a a Z28 before the 3000GT. I loved the Z28 but it in no way compares to the 3000GT VR4. They are just different classes of cars. The VR4 outperformes the Z28 in every way. I mean the Z28 is just a muscle car, and that is all it is. The VR4 (or Stealth) is like a very finely tuned land rocket that will not only rocket you 0-60 but will take turns like the car is on rails. Not to mention all the luxury add ons that come with the car (i.e. AWD, AWS, ECS, etc). All in all, the VR4 will definately cost you more (insurance, repair blah blah blah) but it is worth the extra cost in my opinion. The Z28 is a great car, but it just isn't as high performance as the VR4 or Stealth TT. Ok, that is my 2 cents.

Stonerboy
'94 VR4

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
I don't think the VR4 will cost more on insurance. I'm paying $240 a month right now for insurance on my 92 TT, after I just got into an accident. About a year ago, I was looking at getting a 94 Z28, and it was $380 per month, probably be about $440 now after my accident. I have been wanting a Z28 for the past two years, but after I found my stealth, I would never get a Z28. I think the Stealths look alot better, they are faster, better handling, and less common than a camaro. I thinkn the reason the camaros are alot cheaper than a stealth or 3000 of the same year is because there are so many camaros, and that lowers the resale value. Depending on wherre you live, performance in snow is a givin. Camaros flat out suck in snow. My AWD Stealth handles SO good in snow, better than my mom's 4x4 Jimmy. I purposely lose control in the snow sometimes, and I can get it right back, just for practice. I live in Denver, and we had a good snowfall about 2 weeks ago, and I spen about an hour in an empty movie theater parking lot, and it was awesome! This car can do donuts on a dime. That AWS is fun. Just my 2 cents.

Jason
92 Stealth R/T TT

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I'm living in heart of Europe and owe both cars, a 94'Z28 Convertible with 6 speed and a 93'3000GT VR4 (Euro Version). In the summer it is sometimes areally hard decision what car to take in the morning. But as one already stated, both are not comparable.
The Z is rough, rattles, shakes, just like Rock'n'Roll. The older ones had problems with the spark distribution system called Optispark (aka Opticrap), the exhaust rusts, the gears are whining and the rear diff squeeks in turns. The brakes are absolutely crap in the -99 cars and are almost 50% of the cost of thr stock VR4 brakes. The ride is too soft and the cars dives way too much when braking. But I love it, as I changed the msot parts I spoke bad about and now have an adjustable Bolra exhaust that is loud enough so the other sounds are negligible. I had problems with popping out gears and A/C not working (blows the fuse 3 times a month) as well as a leaking roof but ... I still love it. It has about 305hp now and is very powerful in the low end. But be aware of rain or just wet streets. Damn the thing is like an animal then and you must drive like you have some raw eggs on the gas pedal.

The 3000GT/Stealth Turbos are in another region. Smooth, quiet, an almost not ending power curve and very even torque curve. I had once a clutch that was gone and the dealer made a bad work. Since then the problems started because at this time they learned on my car
Today, the most cars with tranny problems have not been treated right, like dumping the clutch at 6000 and close to 400hp on the wheels. This is not the way to treat an AWD car. If you have slippery street the wheels may glow up simultaneously but wit hthe streets we have here you can feel the tranny going crazy. Later the tips fell off due to the rust inside from the heavy winters here. The clutch problem ent into tranny problems and finally the output shaft was grinded down. I got a new tranny and transfer case and two clutch s for free, including an S600 Mercedes for two weeks. SInce then I had a bad impact sensor, bad oil switch and coolant switch. Everythign replaced under warranty and yes, my car is 6 years old and I do not have an extended aftermarket warranty ! Driving very fast causes my sunroof to lift and creates an annoying noise in the car. Stock brakes start to fade pretty fast and the steering wheel is the same size as the one in my neighbours truck ;-) But I love that car .. a silent rocket and damn fast. In winter and rain, I've never driven a car that acts sooo great. With a little experience you'll find the edge of the knofe before it is getting wierd and often this point is far behind my "danger" feeling. Also braking and other stuff have been upgraded on my car not to make faster but to be able to fly on a lower altitude. I kileld the engine due to the fact that I was so stupid and crankced up boost above 20psi without the necessary other mods. Broken pistons and rings .. all my fault and Mitsu is not responsible for that.

Now what car do you want ? Drive both on a rainy day, and check the way it handles. The brakes on the new Camaros are much better and do their job now so this is ok. Check the AC on a hot day when you get into the car. Test the heating up on a cold day. Check out the seats and how you feel inside and later open the hood an listen to the sound. Check the power steering when parking. Check the steering when driving fast and simulate (safely of course) an emergency situation.

Whatever you choose, it's the right choice ! This is why I got both worlds, LOL

Roger
Switzerland

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
I had a 98 Trans Am 6 speed
Things i liked:
I ran a [email protected] with it with $100 in mods.
Really fast from a roll (look at that trap speed!)
V8 Exhaust Note
Gobs O'Torque (easier than a 3/S to drive around town)
Catching second AND third gears!
Good stereo (monsoon)
Looked MEAN
Bulletproof drivetrain (just dont miss a gear and overrev the engine)

Bad Things:
Didn't handle too hot(can be fixed with hop ups)
Kinda cheap interior (fisher price plastic)
Couldn't launch it to save my life

Stealth TT
Good things:
I ran a [email protected] with a K&N FIPK
Modable (can go faster for cheaper than an LS1)
Handles Better
Better Interior
Classier
Better at over 110mph (don't do that too often!)
Awesome/Repeatable Launches
Great Stereo (Infinity)

Bad Things:
Stock Clutch suxs
Tranny Notchy
Weighs too much
Noisy Sunroof
No Forged Pistons!!!(LOL)

If you get a Camaro make sure you get a 98+. They have about 45 more HP and way better brakes. If you get a TT 3/S get a 94+. 6-speed, 20 more HP, and a little better brakes.

Trevor
96 R/T TT
[email protected]
[email protected] 0-60 4.14 Gtech
92 GMC Typhoon
[email protected] 0-60 5.09 Gtech

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
94's had AWS, climate control. electronic suspension, active/dual exhaust. All the gadgets except active aero (stealth's never had that). The interior was never changed...

Trevor
96 R/T TT
92 GMC Typhoon

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I would go for the 3S car. Two totally different classes of cars. In addition to what is already posted, How many Camaros do you see everyday. Not to sound elitist but the 3S is a high class of vehicle(toyota/Lexus)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I would also agree about the 3000 & Camaro being in different classes. I own an 89 Firebird GTA which I turned into a dedicated race car and a 92 3000 GTVR4 that I modified to have around 600 hp.
In stock form about the only things the Firedird does better is accelerate and brake because it is a lot lighter. The 3000 rides & handles a lot better and is almost as quick, the stock brakes suck though bcus of the weight.
Like they said before my Firebird is a gnarly muscle car, that is harsh, loud, and fast while the 3000 is fast but smooth and comfortable.
I think parts for modifying the 3000 are a little higher than for the Firebird bcus of the Dollar Yen exchange rate. Good luck

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am about in the same boat as Trevor.

I just sold a '96 Trans Am with a powerdyne supercharger on it. I ran a best of [email protected] with the car. It was a beautiful black car with t-tops and 17" wheels. I really liked the car, BUT, it did rattle, squeak, I replaced the auto tranny in it twice, rack and pinion once, AC needed servicing. The car was an animal on the street, able to spin the tires from 40mph and below. I now have an '87 T-Type for my straight line fun and a Stealth RT/TT (94) for my handling woes. I love the stealth. I just ran a [email protected] with mine with only a K&N conical filter and it handles WAY better than my T/A did. It is quieter, the leather is softer, it is just an all-around better built car, that is why you are paying extra. Just my .02 though, buy the one that you like the best.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all of you for replying.
Just one more question. Why you advice to buy a 94+ Stealth? No AWS, no dual exhaust, no active aero, no automatic climate control, cheaper interior
It seams they did great job reducing the cost of it.
Am I wrong?

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
I had to throw in my .02 cents
I own a 91 Dodge Stealth TT and couldnt be happier. My best friend owns a 1998 Camaro Z28 and I regularly blow him away, his car just cant pop up to 60MPH as fast as mine, nor can it handle nearly as good at speeds in excess of 100 MPH, hell I dont htink it handles as good at any speeds. and one thing you might want to consider if you are buying a stealth. If you buy after '93 you wont get the pop-up head lights. I find these very sleek and add a styling of the 80's that should be revived in all cool sports cars. The only problem I have is the damn transaxel. I bought it used and the synchros were alreaady shot, and the stock clucth is defiinately not made for fast driving. The styling in the Stealth is excellent, I couldnt ask for more (I didnt know they had 1/2 this stuff in '91) I get looks and stares everywhere I go. While driving in the rich cities (I live in CA and beleive me there are A LOT of snobs in ferraris here) I get thumbs ups and nods from a lot of them.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
I just have to say that I would take a VR4 over most any cars any day. Even a Viper or an NSX. Anyways after you drive cars for a while you'll learn to appreciate the all wheel drive and the all wheel steering. It makes driving home in inclimate conditions easier than most front or rear wheel drive cars. The VR4 is powerful stock, but yet again its not just a straigt line performer. Its is above average in every aspect of driving, but it can be easily modded with tweeking the boost to beat the best stock muscle car. The turbochargers respond well to all types of modifications...........corey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts