Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need comments on the latest Tuned ECU California maybe New York smog hurdle.
Please refrain from making this a debate about the merits or negatives of this law.
As I understand it, a tuned ECU which is not OEM will automatically fail.
The one exception (correct me if wrong) is that even an aftermarket ECU having the original official OEM tune will pass.
Now, the big question, can Chrome ECU be exempt if it has the 98/99 OEM tune but in an older model like a 1996.
In other words is the 98/99 OEM tune close enough to the other 2nd gens to matter?

·
Registered
554 Posts
from what i read the ecu or any add on device must have a c.a.r.b. # associated to it which can be read from a scan

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,996 Posts
from what i read the ecu or any add on device must have a c.a.r.b. # associated to it which can be read from a scan
At that point, commiefornia's dot will compare the ecu number with the year number and the car automatically fails unless an exact copy of the factory original rom is on the ecu. That is impossible, so all aftermarket ecus are banned. Commiefornia's dot wants to remove all modified vehicles from the roads. I know of no way to get past that. I know in NY as long as the ecu outputs passing info it passes(note that doesn't mean disabled CELs, as the ecu still throws the code for said CEL, just doesn't light it up.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cm3000gtSL

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So that means until further notice at least in California our Chrome ECU's are done as far as smog transparent. :eek:

Thank you for the quick and very informative answers (y)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't think that would happen with the chrome/99 ECU's, remember blackstealth trying to gather all the ECUIds for the platform, I doubt they have something like that and the capability to get the protocol 9 ( ISO 15031-3:2016) so if you have flash ECU and no check engine or stored DTC it should pass right?

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
The 1999 3000GT ECU does not support Mode 9, which stores this information:

PID
(hex)
Data bytes returnedDescriptionMin valueMax valueUnitsFormula[a]
Service 9 supported PIDs (01 to 20)​
Bit encoded. [A7..D0] = [PID $01..PID $20] See below
VIN Message Count in PID 02. Only for ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230-4 and SAE J1850.​
Usually the value will be 5.​
17-char VIN, ASCII-encoded and left-padded with null chars (0x00) if needed to.​
Calibration ID message count for PID 04. Only for ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230-4 and SAE J1850.​
It will be a multiple of 4 (4 messages are needed for each ID).​
Calibration ID​
Up to 16 ASCII chars. Data bytes not used will be reported as null bytes (0x00). Several CALID can be outputed (16 bytes each)​
Calibration verification numbers (CVN) message count for PID 06. Only for ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230-4 and SAE J1850.​
Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) Several CVN can be output (4 bytes each) the number of CVN and CALID must match​
Raw data left-padded with null characters (0x00). Usually displayed as hex string.​
In-use performance tracking message count for PID 08 and 0B. Only for ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230-4 and SAE J1850.​
8 if sixteen values are required to be reported, 9 if eighteen values are required to be reported, and 10 if twenty values are required to be reported (one message reports two values, each one consisting in two bytes).​
In-use performance tracking for spark ignition vehicles​
4 or 5 messages, each one containing 4 bytes (two values). See below
ECU name message count for PID 0A​
0A20
ECU name​
ASCII-coded. Right-padded with null chars (0x00).​
0B4
In-use performance tracking for compression ignition vehicles​
5 messages, each one containing 4 bytes (two values). See below

I've confirmed this with my 1999 ECU, and it's not supported. Just a guess, but probably because Mitsubishi engineers didn't have enough programming space in the ECU to support it. It does support Mode 1 PID 1C which is kinda useless information " OBD-II as defined by the CARB".

So what does it mean? It's very unlikely they can detect an ECU swap, or even changes to the flashrom on our platform.

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,068 Posts
lol this thread is all over the place. As mentioned above, there is no stored VIN, CAL ID, or CVN... early OBD-II, such as late-model 3/S, only get plugged into for readiness monitors and DTC's among other little details. If your peripheries are set up incorrectly, then sure... you could possibly fail just like any other car. Besides, even IF that info was stored, their database is unlikely to go that far back to cover these cars. This topic has been discussed heavily since last year in other platforms where it is more of a concern. Visual and functional tests are never going away though.

TLDR: quit freaking out.

Reactions: OldMadBrit

·
Registered
338 Posts
@bboyalan is on the money. I never had a problem with my Chrome ECU and only replaced it last year with an AEM when it became a NV registered vehicle. AFAIK the new CA rules only affect late 2000's

Reactions: bboyalan

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,996 Posts
I stand corrected.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
?Mark
16,764 Posts
Ray just register the car in Montana, all problems solved!

Reactions: Ray

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark, 🤣 😂 Still looks promising here in California but if all else fails maybe Montana here I come 😜

17,630 Posts
I am very curious and legally wouldn't advocate this if Haltech could pass. The elite can output OBD2.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I am very curious and legally wouldn't advocate this if Haltech could pass. The elite can output OBD2.
On our cars? Yea it would. From what I've read the new Cali system basically uses a checksum method against known checksums provided when the car gets CARB certified. That keeps people from sneaking under the radar by flashing on a stock ECU and passing since the VINs and stuff match. I doubt Cali will have any sort of checksum data for our cars since that wasn't really a "thing" back in the 90s. So as long as the ECU put out something they probably wouldn't know the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Some additional information. A long but good read. Please comment further after reading this article, it certainly looks like the Chrome ECU will pass no problem as stated by members above.

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,068 Posts
Old news and opinion has not changed. People were already dealing with this last year in applicable platforms.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Old news to you but new to me so may be as well to others.
Glad to hear you substantiate this as it makes me feel better. LMAO

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah that sucks im not gonna brag on it if I was in a state with constant every year or 6 months which ever the case may be to get your vehicle inspected constantly would drive me up the wall living in SC we dont have anymore yearly vehicle inspections so you can just imagine what you see driving on our roads down here it's amazing some bad some good mostly bad LOL

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,068 Posts
It is every other year... not a big deal if you play it smart i.e. your cards right. Some people are SOL because they did not plan ahead.

Reactions: OldMadBrit
1 - 20 of 21 Posts