Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...........
What is the difference between the Cali and Fed spec cars ? Any and all help appreciated.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,112 Posts
What he ^^ said.
The biggest thing (IMO) is that they have 4 O2 sensors vs only 2 (the upstream ones).
It make it a bit trickier to run a less restrictive exhaust. Sometime if you gut the pre-cats (or replace them with aftermarket) the ECU sees the difference and throws up a CEL.

It's been years, but I believe I gutted both my precats, but left the main cat intact and I haven't had any issues.

Bob.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,001 Posts
For 1G / OBD-I turbo models, the difference will be the temperature probe (EGR-T) in the EGR valve or lack thereof (9965 vs 9966 ECU, for example). There are TONS of threads on this topic.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Good answers above. Not sure if this is what you were concerned about, but in terms of performance, nothing. The only differences are related to emission control systems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if 1st gen stealths, sold new in Minnesota, have the precats and EGR ? Thanks for all the response. Be safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a turbo car and it was sold new in Minnesota. I am trying to determine if it has the EGR and pre cats, so that if purchased, it will pass smog in Cali.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,001 Posts
Federal will pass CA emissions IF everything is in good, proper order. Part of the functional portion of the test is "clamping" a vacuum line to the EGR valve; the engine will stumble and barely idle afterward. The rest is the same procedure for visual and function with evap, etc. aside from idle and free rev for tailpipe/sniffer.

FWIW, my car is Federal and has passed numerous times in the past... helped many others here.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
578 Posts
It is a turbo car and it was sold new in Minnesota. I am trying to determine if it has the EGR and pre cats, so that if purchased, it will pass smog in Cali.
If you are planning to modify the car this is a moot point. Your best bet is to just find "another way" too pass smog in CA, by finding a person/shop that will "make sure" your car passes. This has been my method for the last 6 or so years i have been catless. Even when i did have the cat in and passed the sniffer test, i always went to shops that would overlook the visual and in the 13 years i have owned the car i have never actually had anyone test the EGR, EVAP, or anything besides the tailpipe emissions. In these years the car has always been heavily modded with a SAFCII, 550cc, etc. Not saying it wont happen because some places in CA are ridiculous, but your best bet if you plan to heavily modify is find another way to pass.

If you are just worried about the sniffer test, a good main cat will do just fine even with no precats. Just need to find a place that will overlook visual and EGR test.

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
1G Federal and Cali Turbo cars are exactly the same with one exception: Cali car ECU monitors the EGR function via a temp sensor. All have the exact same equipment including precats and EGR.

You can import a fed car into cali... If it passes testing as manufactured, it will fly. It just couldn't have been sold new in cali if it had fed emissions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts