Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Burnt piston?

I found out today after having my rear head removed I also have a burn piston. Anyone ever have just one burnt piston? My mechanic says this is probaby due to a leaking head gasket. Any other ideas? We are hoping that the cylnder is ok but if not I'm screwed and will have to have the block re done also. The eingine only has 40,000+ miles on it.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Oveeboost, running too lean, deotnation and overheating are causing damage to the pistons.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Is it a VR4 or TT ? Is it modded ? overboosting & lack of fuel did it to my VR4, Hope my block is ok, yours too

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
> 91 RT TT Lic LOVBYTS Super Red II
> 91 RT TT LIc LOVBYTN Black

TT : I'd say either of them are turbos :)

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for noticing Roger. Yes, it is a TT. I don't have a 3rd one. The strange thing is it is only one piston. I run basicaly stock except for the K&N filter and gutted cats. Stock injectors and turbos; for now. I don't run hard most of the time and use stock NGK plugs. Why only one piston?

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer but I don't know what size I will need. Mine are already oversized but I'm not sure how much. I should find out more today.

Thanks

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it was #1 First one on the front of the engine (driver side) near the firewall. Saw it today. The piston near the outside of the block was melted almost down to the ring. About 1/4 of the piston looked like a huge chunk of carbon with pits but it was the piston. I might be lucky enough that the cylinder might be ok. I should know by tomorrow but it looks and feels ok.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Why 1 piston?

I'm just guessing--maybe a bad injector?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts