Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built an intake pressure tester according to instructions on Jeff L's page. I am having a really hard time locating a leak around the TB (not the y-pipe or the TB gasket, not the vacuum hoses). Is there some sort of vapor or some sort of translucent/opaque gas to use in conjunction with the intake tester to locate this leak? I have tried soapy water, but I must not be able to get it where the leak is.

-Chris Wood

·
Trader????
559 Posts
Hey 91vr4n00maxima, how do those smoke machines Ford has work? Ya know, the one that checks for leaks in the evap system and intake manifold? What people need is a smaller version they can make at home. Hmmmm...think.....

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
91vr4n00maxima said:
smoke. dont know how you wold get it in there though.

lol! That's what I did too:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a leak on the throttle body which was difficult to find. Mine was on the part where the throttle cable turns the round part with the metal spring going around it. You can move the the spring part with you fingers to here if the leak is there.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Try this

Its not easy to find em. Might want to check you idle adjust screw. Its the hole on top of the throttle body, just pressurize the system and put your thimb over hole. My screw need a new o-ring....

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
you can use soapy water in a spray bottle.....spray it everywhere and where its leaking you should see it blowing bubbles almost

edit: dont spray "everywhere" but in area where you think leak is coming from...hahaha thought of how funny it would be for someone to spray their entire engine bay after i wrote that.

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a leak on the throttle body which was difficult to find. Mine was on the part where the throttle cable turns the round part with the metal spring going around it. You can move the the spring part with you fingers to here if the leak is there.
I think that might be where it is coming from, I hear the leaking stop briefly when I pull the throttle cable and let it snap back. How did you fix it? Hoping it can be fixed w/o buying a new one.

Its not easy to find em. Might want to check you idle adjust screw. Its the hole on top of the throttle body, just pressurize the system and put your thimb over hole. My screw need a new o-ring....
I will try this tomorrow.

-Chris Wood

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
moparacker said:
Hey 91vr4n00maxima, how do those smoke machines Ford has work? Ya know, the one that checks for leaks in the evap system and intake manifold? What people need is a smaller version they can make at home. Hmmmm...think.....

thats what made me think smoke. they use an oil and i think its heated to produce smoke. just gotta find some way to make a pressurized smoke machine to test the piping.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I saw a throttebody on ebay which I bought for 45 dollars and it leaked to. I then saw another rthrottle body on ebay that was basically brand new it even came with the tps, isc motor and I bought it for 55 dollars and it stoped the leak. But I will tell you this a leak there can't be all that bad I noticed no difference is spool time or boost to the redline after I fixed it. With the throttle body plate open air will go down the path of least resistance a pin hole vrs a 3.5" hole which is sucking air to the engine. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have changed anything just lived with it.

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the leak is on the vacuum side of the TB, it will make a difference. Is there any way to repair it without buying a new one? Rebuild kit? Upgrade TB?

-Chris Wood

·
382 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts