Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,279 Posts
what did those turbos eat?

·
Registered
1gen VR4 GTO. 4bolt block with forged crank. 15G hong kong hairdryers and supporting mods.
33 Posts
This doesn't seem like a budget build but you may consider the Aladdin 20t turbos or just good old dr750s. There is a post somewhere that the 22t compressor is to large for the hl shaft.
Yeah I have something like 1000 dollars all together money at the moment so dr750 os out of question.

I will go with pleb kinugawa/mamba china choo choo boi quality turbos. They are nowdays pretty proven. And I quess my car is already built with all kind of china crap parts that are not approved here at all, so it would be stupid to invest on expensive top quality turbos.

But yeah I also figured out last night that 22T is too big. 20T seems reasonable.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,279 Posts
I spray 30-50 gallons per hour of meth/water into my turbo now and ran without a filter with a front bumper intake tube for 5k miles through dust storms, rock roads, insect storms etc, without damage like that. I would guess Aluminum dust didn't do it and something bigger bounced around in both for awhile.

·
Registered
1gen VR4 GTO. 4bolt block with forged crank. 15G hong kong hairdryers and supporting mods.
33 Posts
I think if there had gone some bigger particles trough the turbo I will find them as I remove the intercooler. But the compressor wheels did not look like something went trough them as there was only damage in the inducer side.

We maybe never know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A quick update on my car. Engine bay is shaping up nicely, almost ready for first startup. I made new 3" intake for the turbos, and started making mounts for the new front mount intercooler. Installed a new used oil cooler from a mazda RX8 in the same place where the original cooler was. I have another cooler as well and I will install it to the other side of the car, but for now I will just run a single cooler since AN10 fittings are really expensive and I just want to get the car running first.

I will still have to add an intake air temp sensor to the boost pipe, make new boostpipes from turbos to intercooler, modify the exhaust a bit, and make a mount for the new battery in the trunk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yesterday I drove out of the garage! I installed the new battery in the trunk, and made some really sketch wiring. ECU power cable was just twisted around the battery terminal etc. Didn't even have to crank the engine for long, fired right up and held good oil pressure. To my surprise there weren't any leaks in the engine bay: no coolant, oil, or fuel leaks.

Took a quick test drive and everything was working flawlessly, although I was only running downpipes and couldn't see air/fuel ratios. The engine sounded good tho. But I should have guessed that the first drive wouldn't go all that well: I didn't make it back to the garage, engine stalled on the way back. Almost died of heart attack. Luckily it wasn't anything bad. Fuel feed line had come loose from the back of the car, so lost fuel pressure. Easy fix.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts