Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That might be true, but I don't have money for bolt on turbos and the supporting mods :D TD05 would have been cool, but I really like the powerband and fast spool of a TD04 engine. Also wanted to make manifolds since I had never done any before.

·
Obsessive Carpolsive
2,073 Posts
Do you have a pipe bender to make all those crazy bends for the headers? Nice job looking great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Do you have a pipe bender to make all those crazy bends for the headers? Nice job looking great!
Thanks! No I don't have a pipe bender, the headers are made from tight radius 90 degree bends and straight pipe. I used a metal band saw and a regular angle grinder to cut and modify the bends and MIG/TIG for welding.

Pipe is 48mm x 2.6mm (or 1.88inch x 0.1 inch) where the smaller number is the stregth of the wall and bigger number the radius. Material is regular steel since stainless steel (304l or 316l) would have been atleast twice as expensive.

·
Registered
825 Posts
For sustained high output - cooling is the major limiting factor for this platform. With a stock radiator and stock motor boosted to 14lb (~400 crank HP) and race gas, I struggled to maintain decent temps at track days here in CA.

For this big upgrade, I went with a Mishimoto radiator, EVO style vent at the front of the hood, heat wrap around the headers and turbo hot-sides, '99 front end with a splitter and ducts. Its in the shop for paint atm, but will get separate cold air ducting to the rear turbo next. The full list of mods is in my signature and there is a thread on some of my build.
Water/meth helps that. Or going ethanol does too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure I understand building manifolds then. The turbine housing and wheel of the td04 is the restriction, not the stock manifolds. A lot of work for td04 turbos! Would have been cool to see you go td05.
Yes, quite a lot work, but not just for td04 turbos. Our manifolds are using T25 flange so we have huge amount of cheap turbos to fit to them. Maybe gt28s some day...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Finally made some progress with the car after holidays! The car came with an aftermarket stainless steel y-pipe so I decided to use stainless steel for the new downpipes as well. I also want to use v-bands for the whole exhaust so I will cut of the flanges from the y-pipe.

Rear downpipe was actually really easy to make since I still haven't disassembled the engine. I used the old stock turbo as a jig for holding the y-pipe in the stock location and then made a new downpipe for the new rear turbo. Pipe is 2.5". It should fit in to the car easy.

New JE forged pistons also arrived. I dropped off all the new forged internals (pistons, crank, rods) for balancing, should get them back after a week. After the front downpipe is ready I can disassemble the engine and take the block to a machinist for honing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Front downpipe ready! Welds aren't that great but otherwise both downpipes turned out ok. Now most of the fabrication work should be done, next up engine rebuild with forged internals.

Also disassembled the whole engine already. The engine was in excellent condition, even the honing marks were still left in the cylinders. The oil pump gear was cracked tho, so good thing I started this build before it failed totally. Dodged a bullet there. The pump may have broken when I accidentally shifted from second gear to first gear and the engine over revved quite a bit. Also all the rod bearings had marks on them and two main bearings where really worn out, but the crank was in good condition. Block was really rusty so I will clean it up and paint it.

After the engine was disassembled I also disassembled the heads and lapped the valves. Heads were dirty but overall in good condition. Exhaust valves were a little burned, but nothing too serious.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts