Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys,
I noticed in the Stealth that under full throttle, the stock boost gauge will jump clear to 14 psi. When idling, it's at the negative end of the gauge. Our '91 is completely stock right now. Is there any way it's actually putting out 14 pounds of boost, or is the gauge probably broken? I've heard of people only getting 5 lbs of boost stock, so thought maybe this was possible too? I don't know. I've never driven a car remotely as fast as the Stealth previous to this car, so I can't tell by seat-of-the-pants whether it's putting out 14 lbs or 9:). Thanks in advance.
Chris

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
the stock gauge sucks. They all say that! You should be boosting about 9.5psi tops.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Matt. I was hoping it was just the gauge. I'm planning on getting new gauges when I get the new boost controller. Is there anywhere else to mount them besides the a-pillar pods?
Chris

·
Native
3,894 Posts
you could do the "B" pillar :D

Actually though, a lot of gauges come with metal clamps that are made to help hold them in a hole that you cut in your dash somewhere. My guess is that most people with 3Ss do the A pillar because of it's relative ease to install and because there's nowhere to cut a 52mm hole in our dash without hitting something and fucking it up.

If you're feeling lucky, you could try installing it in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
The only number on the stock boost gauge thats accurate is "0"

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard that all three gauges are hooked together and would have to be replaced as a set. Not sure if it's correct or not, though.
Chris

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The factory boost gauge doesn't actually read the boost (or vacuum for that matter). It infers it from data it gets from the ECU. This is why it is effectively useless, it doesn't actually know what is happening.

For a stock car the accuracy doesn't matter all that much. When my car was stock and I had the factory boost gauage it also went from full vacuum to full boost over the normal operation of the car.

When I made changes including the boost controller I needed to read the boost accurately. I replaced all the factory center gauges (Water temp, Oil Press. and Turbo) with 60mm Greddy gauges. This is not a trivial task and involves pulling the entire dash (lately I've seen posts suggesting you can do it without actually removing the dash but I can't say I did it that way). It is also not cheap if you use gauges like the Greddy's.

If you need pictures or details on how this is done drop me an e-mail- [email protected]. You can also do a search on this topic and you should find previous posts that I and others have made on this subject including photos.

Chris
1994 VR4

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
You could be spiking well over 9.5psi

Check out the following page for my 2nd gen's stock boost curve.

http://people.mw.mediaone.net/twinturbo/102701_MI3S_Gathering_at_Lapeer_Dragway.html

I originally thought I was spiking to 14psi but then realized the aftermarket gauge I was using (VDO mechanical) was errant 1psig too high. If you do put an aftermarket gage in, please post what your stock 1st gen actually is boosting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts