Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What, if anything, do you have to do if you were to buy a car in the states, but live in Canada? Is there some registration or something? Emissions?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
The evening is yet young, but if nobody answers you, then go searching through the archives, because at least two people have done this, and at least one of them posted about all the Canada Customs crap and safety crap and baby seat crap and taxes he had to do. Memory tells me that this was as much as 6 months ago.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright. thanks!

·
baron of isosceles
3,963 Posts
I did it last december...I'll explain it later when i've got more time, gotta run to volleyball right now.

Tyler

·
baron of isosceles
3,963 Posts
OK, here goes...between Chris95V6 and I, we have everything covered...

go to www.riv.ca for the whole story...here's the 'coles notes' version

basically, you need to bring the car to the border, pay $200 for some registration forms. but make sure you have the title at the border 72 hours in advance, i think you can fax it...i left my car there. next, you bring your car into canada and let it sit for awhile, in the meantime in about ~10 days you'll receive a form that you take to a place to get the modifications done (usually canadian tire, they're the only ones certified). the modifications include running lights, and a few lables, nothing major, cept the runing lights might cost you a bit because if it's a car with popups, they need to wire your fogs and that'll cost ya. after that, your car goes through the provincial safety, and if it passes, you take all that crap to insurance and get your car registered/insured. that's from what i can remember right off the top of my head, so don't hold me to it, but that's basically it, not including getting your car to the border in the first place, insuring it while driving up, etc.

like i say, check out www.riv.ca, that'll answer mostly all of your questions.

Good luck!

Tyler

PS: you'll have to pay GST and PST on it...maybe 6/3% too, depends on the car. check their list to see if you can import the car first.

·
Crazy Biscuit
2,464 Posts
hehe, i was gona take my car to canada and leave it there, but whoaaaa, taxes are too crazy. I'm keeping it with US plates, and leaving the car here.

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,068 Posts
Well, first off, this is the WORST time ever to buy a car in the US and bring it back to Canada (CND$ at lowest since 1930's). The exchange rate right now is worse than $1.60 CND for ever $1 US after the bank charges.

Basically, take the price in US dollars then DOUBLE it to get the amount in CND it will cost not including travel expenses. If you're shipping the car, look at about $1000 CND to bring it in (www.movecars.com).

Also- For everything you ever wanted to know and more:

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140eq/README.html

Ted

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,068 Posts
Forgot to mention- If you're like me and are looking across the border because you want a 3k instead of a Stealth:

1) Buy a nice Stealth and spend about $3000-$4000 converting it into a 3000GT. You will actually save money in the long run, trust me. You can also sell off your Stealth parts to someone who wants to do a 1st to 2nd gen Stealth coversion and get about 75% of your money back! It's not expensive, you just need to spend a lot of time hunting down the parts, fronting the money for them, then getting it back when you sell your stealth parts. The only real cost is the painting of the parts. The non-pearl paints are easy to match so you don't need to paint the whole car, just the parts.

2) Get a 3000GT in Canada. There are a few in Ontario that I know of right now (3-4 of em). I've actually got an offer in on the 94 Red 3k that is for sale.

I used to prefer the looks of the 3k over the Stealth. The Stealth has grown on me and now I like it better than the 3k's. Wierd. I think the 2nd gen stealth is aging better than the 2nd gen 3k's due to rarity and it's more exotic (e.g. strange) rear end treatment.

Ted

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmmm . . .

Thanks guys, that gives me a lot to think about. If you had to just guess on a number, what would you say the cost is roughly to bring a Stealth to Canada?

I am seriously consedering picking up Stealth Turbo's car off him, and he's offering me a great US price, but unfortunately that translates to a not-too-good CDN price, plus more taxes to bring it here, plus registration plus emissions blah blah blah.

Its such a hassle, but it seems everyone in Ontario who has a nice Stealth feels justified in selling it for 4000 over book value just because it has low kilometers.

·
Crazy Biscuit
2,464 Posts
First off, don't ship a Stealth from the US to canada, lol, just buy it in canada. My friend just sold is 95 Firestone red Stealth Twin Turbo two days ago for 23k canadian. He had ATR exhaust and downpipe, HKS EVC, and K&N filter. Only two days go, you could have had it. he's in ottawa. He's getting a boxter instead:( . At least he knows what's he's getting into, he said "I've had enough with speed, speed has only gotten me in trouble" hehe, so he knows he's getting a slow car.

Anyway, don't import a stealth form the US dude, it's not worth your while.

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
if the canadian dollar is bad, why is it a bad time to bring a US car to canada? are you saying he would just be better off buying it in canada cause it will be cheaper? looking at it from an american's point of view, its the best time to buy a canadian car for me, but i want a VR4, and dont really want a canadian car :rolleyes: ..

is there any way to get rid of the daytime running lights if i were to move out of canada but had a car up here for like a year or so.. or can you get away with not having that modification done at all? its not like all the piece of shit canadian beater cars here in ottawa have daytime running lights..

crazey -- where'd you take that picture in your sig?? its awesome..

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
It's bad because, as the dollar goes down, it takes more Canadian pesos, er, dollars to buy a given American car than it did when the dollar was higher. An American car that costs $CDN 10000 today will cost $CDN 11000 tomorrow.

It is, however, a great time for Americans to buy Canadian cars, since a Canadian car that costs $US 10000 today will cost $US 9000 tomorrow.

Daytime running lights on Canadian cars can be disabled by pulling out one of the under-dash relays. See my FAQ ("how do I import a car from Canada") for how.

A lot of cars up there don't have DRL because no province requires them. They are required federally only to be on new cars sold from 1990 so, while you have to stick them in there to import the car, you can rip them out again once you're over the border. Also, the federal DRL law is not retro-active.

·
Crazy Biscuit
2,464 Posts
BusyGT

Pic was taken in Boone, NC this past weekend, hehe. I took a crap load of pics. I like it too, thanks for the compliments. I'll be dropping you an e-mail soon btw if you wana chill and hang out. I'll be going there very very soon, without my baby though, she'll be dormant, hehe.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've applied to med school in Canada (my homeland), and if I get in, sounds like the GT will have to stay in TX based on this discussion. How much does all that crap cost (like DRL)?? Is insurance up there a bitch compared to a state like TX?? I pay $1400 US a year as a college student, 21, no accidents, not married (yet;) ).

Don't think I could ever let the GT's paintjob see salt or snow, or even rain for that matter!!

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
redrocket said:
I've applied to med school in Canada (my homeland), and if I get in, sounds like the GT will have to stay in TX based on this discussion. How much does all that crap cost (like DRL)?? Is insurance up there a bitch compared to a state like TX?? I pay $1400 US a year as a college student, 21, no accidents, not married (yet;) ).

Don't think I could ever let the GT's paintjob see salt or snow, or even rain for that matter!!
are you looking to go to school in ontario? i checked the insurance rates before i came up here, and if i was driving a beater i'd be paying about $3000-4000.. we didnt even bother what it would be for a twin turbo car like a VR4.. btw i'm 18 no accidents, no tickets, had my license for 2 years, etc... its about the same as it would be for me in NY (although insurance in NY would still rape me more).. i dont know how much it drops between the ages of 18 and 21, but it will most likely be higher that what you're paying in TX.. its canadian money (which is fake anyway) but even with the exchange it'll be more..

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've applied to University of Ottawa and McMaster University (schools of medicine), keeping my fingers crossed!

Damn those quotes are high!!!! Sounds like my dream of taking a loan for a 2002 Jaguar the day I get my acceptance letter is probably not the wisest of decisions:D

·
Crazy Biscuit
2,464 Posts
KICK ASS DUDE. Ottawa U are fockers though, hehe. They accepted me a year and a half ago, but i didn't go. So I reapply a year later, go back to ottawa, get ready for school, and they didn't accept me. So i'm going to Carleton not this semester (too late for comp sci) but after the summer. We're getting mroe and more member there, that's awesome.

Hey Busy, if you wana hang out in a week or so, let me know, i'm going up there for a week in a bout a week, hehe.

Good Luck Redrocket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts