Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this same message within a thread in the general forum, but after thinking about it most of thos guys are new to the marque with (probably) less experience diagnosing this type of problem. I can't talk 'cause I haven't found the cause either. Here it is:

I'm another one with chassis/suspension knocks over fast, high frequency bumps/heaves and potholes which are just small enough to drop a wheel far enough to partially unload it. The knocks are for sure in the front as sometimes I can just barely feel it in the steering wheel. All the knocking comes from vertical motions and not horizontal motions (start/stop). I've had these knocks for at least 10 years. In that time I replaced COs twice (KS then KS Kontrol Pro). The knocking sounds didn't change a bit. Besides myself I've had 3 mechanics inspect the front underside. One only does suspension work. No one has been able to locate whatever is loose. The Saner bars are solid as are the strut tower braces.

Is there something that commonly happens that I am unaware of? I'll take any discuss/debate on this. As I said in the other post ..... makes the car sound old and as if its falling apart. Its troublesome.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Of course, this continues to be a safety issue, but also possibly handling. AND makes the car sound old. The rest of the car is just fine. Time I got serious with this issue.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That sounds a bit like what I've experienced. Mine was most noticeable when turning into an entrance way.
The sway bar to frame bushings were the cause. They are kind of quick to wear out, I find. But very easy to replace.

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
check the position of your springs. Sometimes they become offset and the end is not sitting in it's little notch and will make noise over bumps.

Also check the top strut mount. I had no idea mine was bad. It was actually broke but looked fine from the top. I jacked up the car letting the suspension hang and it pulled down.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the good leads. I checked the sway bar end links but not the chassis bushings. The struts could be it, but we've been careful to install the COs according to instructions so I'll check again. Its just that the sounds have never changed at all with either new units or just cartridges.

I had the exact same noise when turning the steering wheel at a speed (slow) where I could here that noise. New COs got rid of that noise. But there I think was looseness of the spring in its mount. I did read an article that clicking noise is a common result of mounting such that the spring is not snugged in it mounting area.

Regarding the tires hitting the wheel wells ..... the sound sounds like heavy metal against metal or hard rubber, but more like metal - metal. I'm running 265-30x18 tires on 9in OZ F1's so the tires are pretty well tucked in.

I have the original motor mounts with 151K miles. If there is a worn mount could the knocking just be with vertical motions? Never had what was diagnosed as bad mounts.

I was considering the K frame as well. Would be difficult to test.

Again, thanks guys.

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
I think the motor mount would only make noise under acceleration when the engine tilts.

The tires hitting would make a grinding/rubbing type noise so I doubt it.

Again jack up the front so the wheel is hanging down and see if you can pull the strut down without unbolting it. The top mount might be broke.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the motor mount would only make noise under acceleration when the engine tilts.

The tires hitting would make a grinding/rubbing type noise so I doubt it.

Again jack up the front so the wheel is hanging down and see if you can pull the strut down without unbolting it. The top mount might be broke.
I'll definitely try that. I have a friend who's a mechanic with a chassis hoist. That will drop both (all 4) of the wheels. Then I can check the sway bar frame bushings as well as the strut mounts.

Again, thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dennis, are you on full coilovers or stock shocks? If you're on full coilovers, there's usually a washer that goes under the top hat / camber plate, and it may be missing.
Sorry ........ haven't been on the board a while. Another item I never thought of. Yes, on full COs. Another thing to check when I get it on the hoist.

Thanks. Another good lead.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Bringing up front end knocks, AGAIN: REPORT

So the VR4 was up on the hoist push,pulled, pried on everything ..... no joy. However, we did find the drivers side front sway bar endlink frozen solid. All new hardware goes on this Saturday. I don't have much confidence this will do it, but at least its something. Let you guys know what happens. Oh, and BTW the spacer/washer below the top of the COs were there.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Bringing up front end knocks, AGAIN: REPORT

So the VR4 was up on the hoist push,pulled, pried on everything ..... no joy. However, we did find the drivers side front sway bar endlink frozen solid. All new hardware goes on this Saturday. I don't have much confidence this will do it, but at least its something. Let you guys know what happens. Oh, and BTW the spacer/washer below the top of the COs were there.
Saturday the new OEM endlinks went on with the new hardware. There is good news and bad. The good news is the the noises associated with the wheels are gone. These happened immediately with a wheel hitting a heave or pot holes. However, once those knocks were gone another knock was better heard as it was hidden around the time sway bar noises took place. This knock seems to be associated with vertical body motions in the front. Although this knock is less frequent it too is substantial. The wheel motions may contribute to the vehicle motions. The sound, however, comes from a different place and can be independent of wheel motions. I am not saying the noise is the body panels just that the front of the car is where its heard.

This is the last major vehicle noise I have. Eliminating the other two noises should make this easier to find. As I study the noise a bit more I'll be able to describe it better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts