Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I just ordered the Brembo 6piston breaks on the Porsche GT2. The tests in the german car magazine(Auto motor and sport) showed that it is very good, so I thought to get it.

I have to make a new bracket, and new disks for front, but I am really excite to install it!!

I hope it works out all ok..

The pic below

Attachments

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
Not to rain on your parade...

but Stillen makes a comparable 6piston brake system for our cars...

·
Registered
856 Posts
JagdStealth said:
Not to rain on your parade...

but Stillen makes a comparable 6piston brake system for our cars...
Yeah, but then it says stillen not porsche :)
I say go for it, looks sweet! Thats some serious stopping power!

.jon

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, the thing is I only paid about 800 US$(from the dealership) for it, I will have to buy new rotors, but then I have the choices from all the manufactures.. I think I will get the ones from AP.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
wow!!

$800!

great price! I stand corrected, I think the stillen package is $5000 :eek:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is thenumber from the receipt.

part numbers.
99635143230 caliper R 259,60Euro
99635143130 caliper L 259,60Euro
99635194800 pads 140,83Euro
+16% tax 105,60Euro
------------------------------------
total 765,63Euro

sorry, it was 700dollars.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
isnt the Euro stronger than the US dollar? maybe 1.3:1 or something?

still a great price...not just fashioning some brackets and making sure the stuff fits..I might follow that pursuit in the future!

awsome!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, I just checked the currency,

it is 697 us dollar or something like that.

The funny thing is, it is cheaper to buy it from the Porsche dealer than to buy it from the Brembo.

there you smell the business..

for ex. at the brembo north america, they sell the 4 piston break caliper(only 1) for 1000US dollars.

How is that possible??????

It is cheaper to come to Europe and buy it and go back to US.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
wow, I'll keep this in mind and maybe I'll do that if I upgrade my brakes!

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Who could make the brackets and custom lines needed? From the pic, it appears that Big Reds and Big Blacks although only 4-piston are actually much larger brakes. The GT-2 is a light car, and I do not believe Porsche would design brakes for a car that weighs like 3100lbs or less and they would also be capable of performing as well on a car 500lbs heavier. A porsche 928s4 is about 3600lb V-8 Porsche and uses "Big Blacks" just a FYI---don't know the specifics of the 6-piston jobber

Sam

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You can get the Stillen kit for about 2500-3000. Brembo also makes a kit, same price. They say porsche, because they belong on a porsche :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Guys - go to Team3S and search the archives - Porsche "Big Reds" are an awesome upgrade and I've seen them racing on a 1st gen this weekend at Sears Point - I think Brad sells this setup for our cars and doesn't make a killing off of it. Anyway just a note -

EDIT: Brad Bedell http://home.austin.rr.com/overboost

You will have to get 17" 2nd gen wheels at least but it is truly AWESOME!!! you need these if you're racing heavily - most can get by on road courses with improved pads (like Porterfields R4Ss or R4s).

Just my $.02

·
Dog Is My Co-Pilot
4,082 Posts
Ryan Bates (username Ryan Bates - imagine that!) at HKS has a Brembo 6 piston brake kit on his '92 Stealth TT, try contacting him for info on his setup. I believe it includes 14" cross-drilled rotors.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
"Guys - go to Team3S and search the archives - Porsche "Big Reds" are an awesome upgrade and I've seen them racing on a 1st gen this weekend at Sears Point - You will have to get 18" but it is truly AWESOME!!! I think Geoff Mohler (who I met there) www.speedtoys.com> sells this setup for our cars "

Hi Rick ---- glad you had a good time, it was nice meeting you.

Geoff does not sell the Big Red setup --- Brad Bedell sells them without rotors. They don't require 18" wheels but they do need to have 2nd gen 17" wheels or larger.

http://home.austin.rr.com/overboost

Jim Berry 93TT

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hi Jim,

Yes it was great meeting you too - I really wanted to go for a ride with you Sunday - but everytime I tried to I was sent on errands (or emergency duty). Sorry about the Geoff posting - I should have remembered it was Brad - but not knowing him I guess I substituted Geoff (I will edit that now). I guess by my leaving aroung 2:00 pm Sunday I missed all the spins people had later that I've been reading about.

You guys got me so cranked up, I read your review about Willow Springs and I was ready to drive down there and get the JSpec out there for it's virgin run ($60 Intro price/$180 for the whole weekend is a great deal). But alas the voice of reason got me (damn) and it looks like I'm back on schedule for next year.

I hope to hook up with you guys soon
Best, Rick

·
Registered
897 Posts
hey guys i didn't see the brakes for sale on Brad's site. can anybody post the exact url where they saw ths? thn. Also how much does he sell them for?

AJIMBO: you price of $700 didn't include shipping, right? have you ever inquired about shipping and if so how much would it be to the states? thanx man

Luis

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I did a search on Team3S and found this from Brad dated Apr 10, 2001 (I would e-mail him if you are interested):

Anyhow, brakes are still available. I've delivered them in less than 6 weeks (7-10days being the fastest) But I sure don't want to quote any faster due to potential backorders this time of year. I do communicate well and will not BS you as to what I know about the status of parts ordered. Price is 1475 + shipping (gone up due to caliper price increase). This mailing list supplies all install docs ;)

Email me directly regarding the brakes.

Brad
Check out my home page: http://home.austin.rr.com/overboost/
E-Mail: [email protected] ICQ# 3612682

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AJIMBO: you price of $700 didn't include shipping, right? have you ever inquired about shipping and if so how much
I will check the price of shipping. but I haven't got the part,yet.. But it only weighs about 3-4kg each, so for 2 plus pads, I don't really think it is that expensive. you really have to hope that you don't get raped by the Customs.
I hope it will come soon. I think tomorrow.

By the way, the brakes are actually on GT2 that is lighter, but the brake sweeping area is larger, so most likely, it will have better braking. more friction. and maybe you are right, but it looks hell a lot better than that of Big Reds 993 4 piston calipers,

Oh, I forgot to metion, at the Porsche Dealer in Germany, the 993 4piston calipers are more expensive than the 6piston calipers that I bought.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Keep in mind boys and girls this does not include an adapter to fit it to our cars. Depending on your resources, access to a CNC machine for example, you could spend several hundred dollars and many hours of your time designing a bracket to hold the calipers.

I have a set of Brad's Big Reds on my car so as in excersize in boredom I deciced to put my old front 4 caliper pistons on the rear of my 93TT --- it'll cost me many hours and about $350 for the adapter [ two design iterations required --- screw up on my part ] plus proportioning valves to compensate for the increase in rear braking power plus spot calipers to use as an E brake. When you start a project like this you always run into the unexpected.

Jim Berry

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I might be interested about your rear brake conversion setup. I was thinkin of doing that, but I am not sure if I understood what you said about the e-brake.

The ebrake in the rear is inside of the rotor, so why do you need one more caliper? or are you changing the rotor? then ok,

but let me know how you are doing, and if it works out well, I will buy one set of mounting brakets off of you.

or if you can let me know how you did, I have several friends has the CNC machine shop, so I would be able to make it fairly cheaply.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts