Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
It was at a small go-kart track in upstate NY called Saint Lawrence Motorsports Park that is brutal on brakes because it's a short track with two straight-into-hairpin. (Edit: Looks like it shut down ... someone did a piece on it here: A Day at the St. Lawrence Motorsports Park) I haven't been able to drive at a track in years - but back then, autoX and track. The combo was great for AutoX but just couldn't handle track abuse.

After that happened I found an ominous crack in my Powerslot rotors ... stay safe out there.

View attachment 287968
Little jbweld should do the trick:LOL:

·
Robotics Engineer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It was at a small go-kart track in upstate NY called Saint Lawrence Motorsports Park that is brutal on brakes because it's a short track with two straight-into-hairpin. (Edit: Looks like it shut down ... someone did a piece on it here: A Day at the St. Lawrence Motorsports Park) I haven't been able to drive at a track in years - but back then, autoX and track. The combo was great for AutoX but just couldn't handle track abuse.

After that happened I found an ominous crack in my Powerslot rotors ... stay safe out there.

View attachment 287968
Chinese trash as usual. Guess what, Centric, StopTech, and PowerSlot are all the same company. Parent organization / company is called APC Auto Tech. I am not surprised these failed in the same manner. Wonder if there is any agency you can report them to, but I'm sure it is hairy considering you are using them to track.

·
Robotics Engineer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm hoping Trump's efforts and focus on quality rather than profits prevails. We've (every country) have been going down that rabbit hole for a long time. Funny thing is that in China, they don't even use that crap. Holds true to the areas of the country I've been to for business (top brands and quality).

·
Robotics Engineer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Interestingly, there may be a way to apply your own Geomet like coating to any rotor. Geomet or similar is just a cold galvanic coating (zinc flakes). Geomet has aluminum flakes mixed in to make it more production affordable coating. The aluminum oxidizes which helps protect the zinc. Zinc protects the steel by being a sacrificial anode.

Been looking to find a high temp zinc flake coating. The only one I could find so far is one that is using a silicone binder, which makes sense.

Haven't reached out to the industrial providers of cold zinc plating paint as that require more effort and isn't as consumer friendly.

·
Robotics Engineer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Couldn't find the SDS or MSDS on KBS which would make me question the composition.

Found this option:

·
Robotics Engineer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OKAY, did some research... here are the options you can buy as a consumer without jumping through hoops. These are all trusted brands used mainly in industrial (such as towers, highways, etc.) as it is not that well known in the automotive world. The auto world (for those who know) seem to be stuck with inferior zinc phosphate options, but even those are vague. Maybe some of the top notch auto bodies out there have better options they've found by working with small to mid-size suppliers.

Sprayon claims to have up to 97% Zinc, but a product line brochure from 2017 shows it to be at 92%, just FYI. The parent company is Krylon which is a well respected source, so I'm sure it is just old marketing. Krylon Products Group

Most of these are aerosols as that is easier for most, but many offer can solutions where you could fire it through a professional gun if you have that skillset and tools. May be more options available when ignoring looking for aerosol offerings. There are other cheaper outlets for these, but I went with Amazon because of convenience and simplicity.

1. Sprayon WL740 - 97% Zinc Flake/Dust - max 600 °F (316 °C) - 14 oz
  2. ZRC 10000 Galvanizing Compound - 95% Zinc Flake/Dust - Continuous: 350°F max (177°C max), Non-Continuous: 750°F max (399°C max) - 12 oz
  3. ZRC 20010 Galvalite - 95% Zinc Flake/Dust - Continuous: 350°F max (177°C max), Non-Continuous: 750°F max (399°C max) - 12 oz
    (Guess the only difference above between the two ZRC is tint)
  4. Seaguard by Zinga may have an option called Aqua Seaguard. I've reached out as their website is terrible and all the datasheets go to a single executive summary.
This is a start.. I invite others to do their own research and expand the options available. There's some options local to Massachussets of companies offering cold galvanizing paint, but not designed to be consumer facing.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts