Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on EBC rotors versus Braking Performance out of the USA?

I would love to go OEM, but from what I can tell from online catalogs they are not coated. I want them coated to prevent rust.
Tired of a perfectly good blanks going bad from sitting. Currently only going blank versus slotted and dimpled/drilled.

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you got the money...Ive always wanted to try them out, Click the link. Its for Frozenrotors.com

I believe Stoptech offers versions of our rotors with the cryogenic treatment. I believe it came out of necessity when slotting and drilling became a thing for rotors.
https://www.apcautotech.com/brands/centric-parts/stoptech

Didn't check the pricing in your link above but from what I remember Stop Tech is similar in pricing to Braking Performance.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
790 Posts
Read my review on R1 concepts rotors and EBC yellow stuff pads here:

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ordered the EBC blanks with coating for now and paired them with akebono pads. Fun fact.. akebono was the first to develop ceramic brake pads, OEM for our cars (ACT series), and mostly produce their brake pads in the USA now.

I know going with "blanks" without any cryogenic passes may lead to warpage down the road, but I want to try this setup first before moving up to slotted setup.

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have hawk pads and rotors and love them
I've heard good things about them, unfortunately the price is pretty damn steep for a daily. Like 3x-4x the cost of a standard premium set, unless I missed something.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've heard good things about them, unfortunately the price is pretty damn steep for a daily. Like 3x-4x the cost of a standard premium set, unless I missed something.
Never cheap out on tires and brakes, you life could depend on it.

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never cheap out on tires and brakes, you life could depend on it.
Didn't suggest that. Hawk is around 3-4 times the cost of "premium" OE brakes you can buy at aftermarket outlets.

EBC coated rotors (blanks) + OEM brake pads go for approximately $350, while the Hawk kit will easily run you $800.
When going with slotted and dimpled rotors with the cryo treatment to prevent warping and cracking, you get close to that price.

IMO, all that jazz isn't well suited for the daily or occasional weekend driver. I agree with you, the added insurance is worth it, but the factory brakes are more than sufficient for street use. If you need more stopping power, then maybe that person shouldn't be on the road :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
yeah I wouldn't go the budget route but premium rotors and pads should do just fine. I just put in hawks because I don't drive the car everyday so i figured the rotors will last a few years no issues. Btw I got all rotors and pads for $500 if that changes your mind.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Didn't suggest that. Hawk is around 3-4 times the cost of "premium" OE brakes you can buy at aftermarket outlets.

EBC coated rotors (blanks) + OEM brake pads go for approximately $350, while the Hawk kit will easily run you $800.
When going with slotted and dimpled rotors with the cryo treatment to prevent warping and cracking, you get close to that price.

IMO, all that jazz isn't well suited for the daily or occasional weekend driver. I agree with you, the added insurance is worth it, but the factory brakes are more than sufficient for street use. If you need more stopping power, then maybe that person shouldn't be on the road :p
Ah okay, I guess I just took your comment the wrong way. I just never understood why people got cheap ass brakes and $20 Chinese walmart tires when their life could depend on it. Then again I might just be trying to justify my AP big brake kit, who knows. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
SCE Still offers their WIDE 2 Piece Rotors for 1G and 2G Brakes on their website...

Feel like those are the best/Must for anyone serious about tracking their 3/S.

Rockauto is Great for quality, affordable rotors. That's where I've been going for years on all my cars, including for track use. I've never had any sort of failures but I am also running 2G VR4 brakes on a 2700lb 3000.

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah I wouldn't go the budget route but premium rotors and pads should do just fine. I just put in hawks because I don't drive the car everyday so i figured the rotors will last a few years no issues. Btw I got all rotors and pads for $500 if that changes your mind.
WOW, yes it does. Where? Year long offer or occasional?

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah okay, I guess I just took your comment the wrong way. I just never understood why people got cheap ass brakes and $20 Chinese walmart tires when their life could depend on it. Then again I might just be trying to justify my AP big brake kit, who knows. 🤷‍♂️
AGREED!! Hate to say it, but those people find out the hard way (unfortunately sometimes it involves another party 😕 )

·
Robotics Engineer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
21,094 Posts
SHEESH... must of been toasty. You can even see the vane pattern 🧐
Carbotex XP8, did some quick searching on Google. Fancy stuff there. You track your car?
It was at a small go-kart track in upstate NY called Saint Lawrence Motorsports Park that is brutal on brakes because it's a short track with two straight-into-hairpin. (Edit: Looks like it shut down ... someone did a piece on it here: A Day at the St. Lawrence Motorsports Park) I haven't been able to drive at a track in years - but back then, autoX and track. The combo was great for AutoX but just couldn't handle track abuse.

After that happened I found an ominous crack in my Powerslot rotors ... stay safe out there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts