Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my night time lights work but when I hit my brakes they won’t light up brighter. Tried changing bulbs and did not help. And then I tried taking out the stop light switch/ brake light switch, whatever you would like to call it, but I could not for the love of god get it to come out. Also the was an extra wiring harness coming from where the wiring harness is that plugs into it. Does anyone have any tips to help get it out and what is that extra harness for. Also my car is a 1997 3000gt SL with cruise control.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,207 Posts
Auto transmission?
Extra harness could be for a clutch switch.

My first guess is like yours, a failed brake pedal switch...

Bob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Auto transmission?

Bob.
No it’s a manual transmission. I looked every where for where it should plug in and literally can not find a thing, but yeah that’s what I suspected. It’s so cramped up in that area though that I can’t get it out.

·
14,207 Posts
I get it.
When I was 40, crawling up under the dash was not a huge issue, at 63 it's not much fun.

It helps if you can remove the drivers seat to be able to lay down in there, but that is a task as well. The seat is NOT exactly light...

Bob.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,417 Posts
Check the 15amp #17 fuse that supplies power to the stop lights. The diagram below is for up to a ’96 and not sure if a ’97 has a different fuse box or not. If the extra harness your referring to is mostly a green wire that runs to several things like Cruise control to cancel it when brake is applied, MFI system and anti-lock brake system if yours has ABS. If it’s different colored wire/wires could be something somebody installed.
fuse box.JPG click on image to enlarge

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the 15amp #17 fuse that supplies power to the stop lights. The diagram below is for up to a ’96 and not sure if a ’97 has a different fuse box or not. If the extra harness your referring to is mostly a green wire that runs to several things like Cruise control to cancel it when brake is applied, MFI system and anti-lock brake system if yours has ABS. If it’s different colored wire/wires could be something somebody installed.
View attachment 291382 click on image to enlarge
Okay I’ll do that first thing in the morning, thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Auto transmission?

Bob.
So I got the new brake switch in and it is not working still. The fuses seem to be fine also.

·
14,207 Posts
If you already don't have it, here is the circuit diagram....

There really isn't much there besides the fuse, switch and the lights themselves....

Bob.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I get it.
When I was 40, crawling up under the dash was not a huge issue, at 63 it's not much fun.
Yeah but you can take a nap under there and nobody will bug you.

Does the center light work?
Before you yank that switch, disconnect it and test it with a meter - that'll be the diode setting, looks like >-

You can also check to see if the signal is making it to the socket with a meter.

I'm not sure how these cars are set up but when I was racing, I had a brake light kill switch. I found that the switch is NOT positive but a ground actuator - the lights have constant power. Again, that was on a different car.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,417 Posts
...... I found that the switch is NOT positive but a ground actuator - the lights have constant power. Again, that was on a different car.
It’s quite common for switches to be on ground leg but if you look at print OhioSpyderman uploaded in post #10, you can see in this case the brake switch controls the power delivery side.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It’s quite common for switches to be on ground leg but if you look at print OhioSpyderman uploaded in post #10, you can see in this case the brake switch controls the power delivery side.
I'd say a continuity check is order then. There should be good voltage to one side of the switch harness. Then you should see if there's continuity to the tail lights.

I'd put my money on the wiring to the tail light since it sounds like nothing associated with the power circuit is bad.

Also, you could jump the harness connector just for giggles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts