Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to paint the brake calipers yellow so that it would match my vr4. The question is what paint do I get. Is there anyone out there who has done this. How were the results. Since they get HOT did the paint wear off. Also how should I go about doing this. What should I do before I paint the calipers. Any help woud be appreciated guys.

Raja
94 Vr4

J

·
0 Posts
I HAVE BEEN PAINTING THE CALIPERS ON MY VEHICLES FOR YEARS WITH ENGINE ENAMEL AVAILABLE AT ANY AUTO SHOP. IT IS RATED FOR THE HEAT OF THE ENGINE BLOCK SO IT DOESN'T PEEL OR BUBBLE. I HAVE ALWAYS USED RED, DON'T REMEMBER SEEING YELLOW.

I SIMPLY UNBOLT THE CALIPER FROM THE HUB/ROTOR MOUNT AND WIRE BRUSH IT REALLY WELL. USE RAGS TO COVER ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT OVER SPRAY ON AND TAPE UP THE BLEEDER SCREW AND BRAKE LINE. THE ENGINE ENAMEL IS SELF PRIMING SO IT MAKES THINGS EASY.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
I have painted mine and a friends, mine red anbd her's yellow, and used 500 degree engine enamel. Bought at Pep Boys or Auto Palace. Any auto parts store oughta have it. I painted them on the car using masking tape and sponge-brushes (sprayed it into a plastic container then sponged-brushed it on the calipers), 2 coats with 1.5 hour dry time in between. Make sure to vigorously scrub them with a wire-brush before to get all the brake dust and other gunk off first. Looks great when finished :)

EricB

H

·
0 Posts
When i painted the calipers on my car i went through the same process as JOHN and ERIC. I also found that it helps to spray the parts with BRAKE PARTS CLEANER during the wire brushing. It dries fast and doesn't leave a residue.
I also painted the brake pad retainer and the rotors, the results look GREAT.
If you paint your rotors be sure to mask off the area that the pads make contact with.
GOOD LUCK
HOWIE RD95SL

·
Registered
653 Posts
I know I saw a write-up in turbo magazine a while back which featured a special brake caliper paint available in multiple colors. I forget who makes it and what issue it was in, so I guess I'm no help :)

Has anyone given any thought to POLISHING their calipers? The front ones are flat and aluminum so it couldn't be that difficult. I'm thinking of trying it but I want poilished wheels too so there would be no contrast like paint would have.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think the company that makes the brake enamel is Folia Tec, however it's expensive, about $40.00 and I'm sure the engine enamel will work just as well.
Grant

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I chromed the front calipers on my Harley, and there've been no problem. Thinking of doing the same to the Stealth if I put those speed bleeder things on.

I also painted the calipers on my truck once, strictly to stop them rusting, and not at all for show. A year later, when I changed the pads, I noticed that every last iota of paint had been blasted off the things. Maybe that was because I lived on a dirt road. Even if it was because I'd done a shitty paint job, you'd still expect a few flakes to have been left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts