Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
91 VR4 wish scissors BBK wheels and tint
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, My car is a REAL HOOOOOOOOOOOOT of a car.

Im going to order a new blow off valve, I figured Id get one that vents to atmosphere as an upgrade.
(currently my car is stock, but I use it as a weekend/show car for my decal business)

Now my question:
3SX has a plug for the intake boot, but says the TurboXS RFL BOV has one included.
BUT, that BOV also says:
"The RFL is designed for turbo charged engines running 10 to 25 psi boost."

While I do plan on upgrading the car, I'll upgrade in time.
but with the stock 7PSI will it be a problem?

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,198 Posts
Vince, I applaud your gumption into the platform :)

I am not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but you can replace your HOOTING BOV for way less than you are investigating....

First off, you can get away without a 3sx plug. I have used a dead D battery for a plug for almost 20 yrs with ZERO issues.

I originally had a Greddy S BOV, and gave it to my son, and then bought a TIAL knockoff.

My Greddy was about $250, my Tial knockoff, about $60.

I can't comment on the current state of knockoff BOV's, but I can tell you mine sounds AWSOME and I wouldn't trade it for the more expensive ones...

The choice is yours..

Bob.

Reactions: DRIFTIR

·
14,198 Posts
To vent to atmosphere, you'll need some hosing.
I went to my local Advanced Auto, and they let me look through their radiator hoses.
For < $15 I found what I needed...

Bob.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
14,198 Posts
That particular BOV will not easily adapt to your system.
You need something that will "plug" into a hose...

There are lots of options, depending on your budget.

Yes, spring pressure IS important, but most "budget" BOV's have adjustment and will work.

Again, I am NOT trying to sway you away from high dollar parts, they DO perform.

Bob.

·
14,198 Posts
Do you still have ALL the stock piping?

Bob.

·
Registered
561 Posts
In fact that SSQV won't work at all unless you weld the the adapter on. They secure using a c-clip so there really is no "meat" to rig up some extra hose to. I actually bought Ohiospyderman's old greddy type S to replace my knock-off version. So I actually have a BOV and adapter plate so you can run a radiator hose to it to hook it up that'd I'd be willing to part with. As far as plugging the old BOV spot, I used this exact pvc barbed plug. I tried removing it the last time the maf bubble was off and couldn't make it budge, so I'd hazard a guess that it seals pretty well.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,148 Posts
The link he posted says the SSQV comes with the mounting adapter to go to a hose (its even pictured in 2 of the 3 images), so it will work just fine as long as he can find a hose that fits both the y-pipe and the BOV flange which shouldnt be difficult.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you still have ALL the stock piping?

Bob.
no, the factory Y-pipe had a crack at the throttle body, I currently have a CX racing Y pipe. the rest is stock, but I do have a CX racing single core cooler (got it new in box for a deal)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Bro. Imo there are some parts that one must not skimp on and fork over an arm/leg, BOV IS NOT ON THAT LIST. There are a few g reddy knock offs on amazon for $50 or less. And returns are hassle free in most cases.

I actually bought two off Amazon. Ended up using the first one I installed. It took a little more creative problem solving for me to install than I wod have liked. But works as well as a g reddy if not better.

This is the second one. I still have it for a back up bov just in case the other starts causing issues. AND because of a comment left just last month on Oct. 17, I am keeping is fo sho! Lol. Her is the item link

Check out this post I referred to as well

Peace
Screenshot_20201102-014356_Amazon Shopping.jpg
J
Screenshot_20201102-014320_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20201102-014326_Amazon Shopping.jpg

·
Registered
561 Posts
The link he posted says the SSQV comes with the mounting adapter to go to a hose (its even pictured in 2 of the 3 images), so it will work just fine as long as he can find a hose that fits both the y-pipe and the BOV flange which shouldnt be difficult.
Yea you are right. Guess I shouldn't be posting when I'm trying to force myself to stay awake so I don't wake up super early(damn you daylight savings).

the 1 and 1/4 plug?
just want to double check.
Yes, the 1.25 plug.

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,563 Posts
. . . First off, you can get away without a 3sx plug. I have used a dead D battery for a plug for almost 20 yrs with ZERO issues. . . .
or you can use a PVC piping plug for a buck or two if you want to be less getto (no offense to ANYONE intended), and not have to worry about battery acid leaking into your engine bay in the future.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,141 Posts
VTA is not really an "upgrade". It might run fine on a stock car, but some people have problems due to dumping all that metered air. My car would stall sometimes (at a minimum idle would dip low) if i did a WOT pull and immediately went to neutral at the end of the pull. Converted my VTA back to recirc and it solved the problem. YMMV.

·
14,198 Posts
or you can use a PVC piping plug for a buck or two if you want to be less getto (no offense to ANYONE intended), and not have to worry about battery acid leaking into your engine bay in the future.
I resemble THAT remark!!!

Bob. ;)

I bet my 20 yr old Energizer battery still works!!!

Reactions: Turbo Powered

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VTA is not really an "upgrade". It might run fine on a stock car, but some people have problems due to dumping all that metered air. My car would stall sometimes (at a minimum idle would dip low) if i did a WOT pull and immediately went to neutral at the end of the pull. Converted my VTA back to recirc and it solved the problem. YMMV.
While I like going fast, this is more of a haha show car that I take to car meets/shows as a way to get some eyes on my vinyl decal business.

For now I want it to be loud (visually and some audio)

Curious this is the opposite of how I usually present myself.

·
14,198 Posts
Sounds like a good way to promote business to me.
Appeal to the younger crowd...

Good Luck...

Bob.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like a good way to promote business to me.
Appeal to the younger crowd...

Good Luck...

Bob.

It is indeed...

Its funny becuase they FREAK out seeing a "old school"

....meanwhile I have a 65 C10 and 70 firebird in my garage...

I will say the 3000 is fun though, and it isnt in my dont want to scratch it selection of cars

·
14,198 Posts

Mine is (no scratch..)

Bob. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts