Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please tell me if air should flow thru a BOV as indicated by the arrows below if the BOV is "at rest" (i.e. no vacuum or pressure applied to the control line)?

Mine allows air to flow, but I've not been able to find any info yet on exactly how the BOV works so I don't know if that's an indication of a problem or not.

(Sorry Jeff L. - this was the first picture of a stock BOV I found ;))

Thanks!

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Okay, going from the picture.... the far let outlet (as shown above) flows air from left to right (ie, air comes from the y-pipe and flows INTO the far left outlet). Air flows OUT the top outlet. So, to recap, the air flows in the far left outlet and out the top outlet WHEN the BOV actuator is activated. When the BOV is 'closed' (ie, the little plunger doesn't move up), then NO air flows through the BOV.

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ruiner - thanks for the reply. So the BOV should be closed all the time except when pressure is applied to the control line?

Sorry to keep asking, but I pulled mine off and just out of curiosity blew thru it. It's letting air flow thru the marked section in either direction (Left -> Top, Top -> Left).

Does this mean it's bad?

Thanks!

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
Hey Wes. I think that it should remain closed at all times except when Vacuum is applied to the control line. If pressure were applied to the control line it would be open under boost, which wouldn't be too good. :)

It looks like that air tightness should be maintained unless there is about 16 in.Hg. If you can blow through it, it's probably time for an aftermarket one. I'm planning on getting one anyway simply because my stock one makes the annoying honking goose noise. :)

Chris

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Chris - I guess I shoulda checked the manual :eek: BTW, I need to catch you on AIM or in person some time; I want to ask you some questions about relocating the oil cooler.

Lurkers92vr4 - dammit, I knew I shouldn't have posted that :eek:;):D

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol - Yeah, I'm cool ;) :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts