Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i went out and bought some bosch copper plugs for the tt. 99 cents a piece:D
now, i gotta rip out the pos splitfires and replace them.
my Q is, are these good plugs to use in a tt(if not, ill just bring them back), and what gap should i run?
my car has the following mods, so maybe that should help guesstimate gap:
hks dual mega flow, gutted precats, downpipe, running 12lbs of boost.

thx in advance for the replies.

cheers,

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Nope those plugs are crap. At least they were in my car... I was getting blowout at STOCK boost.

Splurge for the NGK's. Yeah, they're expensive but it's worth it.

Mitsu P/N is MS 851336

NGK P/N is NGK PFR6J-11

I gapped mine to .032 and am running 14 PSI. Runs VERY strong.

You should be fine in the .032-.036 range, the idea is to get as big as possible without getting blowout.

Also just FYI, this is a FAQ, a quick search for "plug gap" or similar would have brought up around 150 threads. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx jeremy

guess ill go bring back the bosch's and get the ngk's...does 13 dollars a piece sound allright? cuz that is what they qouted me.
gonna hop out the door and go bring these things back then.

cheers,

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
That's a bit high...
http://209.58.199.225/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52850 is a group buy for the IRIDIUM version... I personally based on what I've read don't think they are as good BUT I think starfish can get the platinums also.

You can also go to www.mitsupartsdirect.com and put in the part number (MS851336), they show at $12.32 but $9.86 is their price PLUS if you mention 3si you get another discount AND FREE SHIPPING for your first order. You should email Attn: Mike Deal at [email protected]

OR just call them, THEY ARE STILL OPEN TODAY UNTIL 5PM!
800-962-9974 ask for Mike Deal

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx for the links, but...

i really need to get this done today, so i guess ill just eat the extra couple of bucks a plug and get it done. to me it is worth it to pay a few bucks extra and get it now....guess my patience just isnt that great:p

thx again,

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Screw the platinum NGKs. I can't type my previous rants over, but search the board for spark plug post if you like. Platinum and other gimmicky plugs are just that - a gimmick. Coppers work better especially at higher boost. Copper is a better conductor. platinums compensate by using the pinpoint electrode. Anyway, the only reason the factory usees platinums is so you can go 60K between tuneups. The platinum is harder thus lasts longer, but the performance is the same or worse if you have higher boost, NOS, etc.

Use Champion #71 or NGK copper BCPR6ES-11. They are 1.50 each or so.

They will work great but only last 20,000 miles or so. If you can't check/change your plugs regularly you have no business owning a sports car in my opinion! You should pull your plugs at least once a year to check for lean/rich conditions, detonation, fouling, etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yey...i made the right choice then...

i remembered reading something about the champion 71's and i thought i would give them a shot. 10 bucks for 6 at auto zone today. i am going to make sure the gap is at .35 or so. i couldnt get the job done today beccause of some other things that popped up, but it will be done tomorrow, and ill post what i think about them.

thx again all for the replies.

cheers,

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
They should do the trick for you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got em changed out...

and damn, what a difference. Car started right up, idled very smoothly, even though it was at like 1.4k(damn me for putting my throttle body cable too tight:rolleyes: )
but i am very happy with these plugs so far, my problem with the car stumbling every once and a while has gone away, even though the car does still backfire every once in a while when i let off the gas. but generally much improved. the other plugs were pretty nasty. carbon buildup all around the bottom of them, and a couple of the plugs had some white buildup on the grounding electrode.

just thought i would let yall know.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
You will get the pooping/backfiring with the exhaust mods you have. You have very little backpressure and very little to muffle it. I just tell people that F1 cars do the saem thing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts