Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I bought a 1999 Mitsubishi GSX for $2000, the catch was missing many parts, and the engine harness was cut. The car was considered a total loss.

The title came clean. So I went to the DMV, and told them I paid $2000 for it.

So if I go back with a bill of sale saying its not running and the engine harness was cut, will they make the car a salvage title?

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
No, they wont salvage it. When I bought my 92 TT for $800 with a spun bearing and bad syncros they didn't believe me. They wouldn't let me register the car until I brought in a bill of sale. I brought them a bill fo sale that said the car was bought for cheap because the motor and tranny were bad and then they let me register it.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Take your car to a mechanic, (or a mechanic to your car), and have them write an estimate on how much it would cost to fix the car to pass inspection (it has to run to pass inspection). Then bring that to the DMV. That is how I have done it in the past in MA.

-- Henry

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks jon. I will just get a bill of sale, stating that the car is missing parts and in need of repair. Do you think I will have any probs with the IRS?

Base Model - I am trying to avoid the salvage title

Henry C- I have already repaired the car to almost running condition, so its too late to take to the Mechanic. I have Picture though

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems with the IRS as long as you have proof that the car was in sad shape when you bought it. From what you've described to me in the past, it was in pretty bad shape and needed a lot of work.

I think the main reason they get their panties up in a bunch is because they think you are trying to avoid sales tax by saying you got it for cheap. If you have a picture of the car when you got it and a bill of sale, you will be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.