Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Bought 92 VR4

92K views 733 replies 69 participants last post by  JR2VR4 
#1 ·
Vid of me pulling up after picking up my VR4

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I'm 6'6", but I fit better in the VR4 than I do in my first Gen Neon so I think i'm heading in the right direction! lol Thanks!

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Discussion starter · #8 ·
Nice purchase!
I'm liking the SRT4 btw! Here is a vid of my 1st gen at the track & me going down my street with a open long tube header, which the camera mic can't handle lol or my ears for that matter.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
No garage so this is the best I could do to hide it from the approaching snow storm.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Good advice great people from my experience so far. Standing strong behind their sale too, which is VERY VERY hard to find in the used car sales.

Current project is replacing the rear wheel bearing. Got the hub assembly out today and looks like it heated up so much it threw some slag on the stub shaft(i think thats what its called).

Removed the bearing race cover to see what they look liked...

This is the metal slag I was talking about on the stub shaft. I'm thinking I may grind it down flush to the surface this shouldn't cause any vibrations at high speeds right?

Very dirty! Still need to punch out the Inner Bearing and Seal.

Ordering the parts now :)

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Thanks!

I guess this is going to turn into my project log since I don't see any other place for it on the forum. Went out to the my barn where I'm storing the car while I get these couple of things wrapped up so I can get it to pass inspection and saw LOTS of cat prints on the car.:mad:

Now this is on its way... Technalon® / Evolution®

Custom fit too :D

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Got the inner bearing and seal off today and installed the new one. Now getting the dust shield, outer bearing and antilock ring pressed at a shop tomorrow morning.

Also took on the tutorial on how to rewire the active aero to manual operation. Mine wasn't working at all when I started since I don't have the front airdam. This was the result...

Rigged up for testing

Wires all cleaned up

Lady Gaga just happened to be on the radio... Don't want you guys thinking I own the cds or anything:p

Very happy with the result! :D

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Car passed inspection, but am now in no start diagnostic mode:mad: starting to narrow it down to the CAS...

In the mean time getting rid of some uneeded parts :D

Also took out Wastegate solenoid plug

Discussion starter · #18 ·
great progress! good job on "manning" it up =)
Thanks Alot!

Tonight I finished up removing the clutch vacum lines and getting the new lines run (tried to keep it as clean as possible) Really wanna get rid of that AC now:muahaha:

This line going to the brake booster does not need a check valve correct?

I also knew the Front Air Dam was missing, but noticed some parts were still attached. bye bye extra weight :D

Last, but not least this showed up in the mail today!

Dropped battery off to be charged/tested at Autozone. Once I have the wires and my battery back (if it turns out to be no good I plan on going with a dry cell half size, but still gotta do research and figure out which one) I'm going to start testing all electrical systems again since I feel like I'm starting to get a better understanding. I sure hope it turns out to be something simple and not $$$CAS$$$:eek:

Discussion starter · #19 ·
New plugs and wires Installed. Stealth 316's write up helped on assembling the wires, but I have no idea how he did it without any di-electric grease I almost killed myself trying before making the trip to Autozone.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
Thanks Jomo, your black 1st gen is looking sharp in that sig too!

Recent updates.

Got the car running for the first time in a few weeks and drove a couple miles. :D Got my first 3s wave from a pearl 2nd gen in Chatham, PA right by the intersection of 41 and route 1.

Most recent work includes:
-Rear wiper delete including motor and washer reservoir. I'll post up pics soon. I'm happy with how I was able to plug the wiper's hole and I'll include part number of the plug incase anyone else is curious. Much sleeker look overall and less weight :muahaha:

Next step for the car is some rear suspension work so I can get the rear aligned. Right now I am deciding on if I'm just going to get the adjustable control arms and replace the eccentric bolts for adjusting toe, or if I'm going delete the AWS altogether (comments welcome).

Then the plan is as follows.

Fix my mismatch rim issue

Guages/Sensors/Data logging
I want to have detailed information about what is going on with my car before I start adding other mods.

Boost Controller

BOV

Thats all I have for now...

Discussion starter · #23 ·
lol apparently true!

Here are pics of recent changes as promised.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I don't know about you guys, but I don't care for reading too much so I'm trying to keep this thread as close to a kids book as possible.

Looking into what parts I need/want to get to solve my frozen rear eccentric bolts for camber/toe adjustment. This will most likely result in the following...

AWS Delete

(image from Pampena Motorsports)

Adjustable Control Arms

(image from Maximal Performance)
This is currently on its way so I'm going to be doing LOTS of reading

I plan to let the data logger record as I drive around close to home so hopefully if it dies again I'll have some very useful information to think over as I push this heavy thing home :D

Discussion starter · #26 ·
To keep it simple a slight stutter under load and tried to stall...then complete shut down without warning...then crank no start until it cooled down for a while then would start. Depending on how curious you are there is a long thread about it here.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f116/hard-jolt-check-engine-light-513639/

Wanted to keep it separate from the happy car improvement thread haha.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
West Grove bout 5 min outside kennett square what about yourself?

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Finally decided on gauges... Going to start off with AEM Oil pressure and over time "collect them all".

I chose AEM since I am confident enough that it will not be discontinued soon as many other companies have been doing making it difficult to spread out the purchase. Also like that I can wire it up to my data logger & haven't found any complaints on build quality.

Plus I feel like it gives a nice look that is unique enough to not be stock, but not in your face about it like some gauges.

This thread helped me decide.

I will be mounting them in the stock center location, but can't decide if I want to replace one at a time, or find a temporary location for oil pressure until I fork up the cash for the others.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Haha Silver FTW!

Got this way sooner than I expected. Notice my elec start problem...(no start when fans run) lol Yea I got some work to do

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Oh wow didn't realize there were neighbors so close. Does he by any chance drive a pearl 2nd gen? And is ur RT Red?

Discussion starter · #37 ·
PM'd him and it was him! lol These cars are pretty rare.

A couple sneak peaks at a mod in progress. Finished pics should be posted my tomorrow evening to get some feedback. Decided to save some $$ instead of going with 3sx's.

Polycarbonate Plexi: $4
2" While saw: $6
Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl: $12 :( Stupid shipping

Total: $22

I'll prolly post a how to although I think it is fairly self explanatory.

Now just waiting on my AEM oil pressure gauge, which was shipped to West Grove, MN instead of PA :mad: The plan is to fill up these three spots and then pull the dash to swap out the stock gauges and have room for 3 more. I'm going to stay away from an A pillar as long as possible to keep a more stock appearance.