Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is also posted under "door speakers"... I'm just anxious for advice!

Here goes: Just installed one of the rx67 Boston Acoustics... and guess what?

It barely works, (at least with my stock system) Sounds muffled, can barely hear the vocals, and I'm not exaggerating.
That surprised the hell out of me.

The reason I know it's not good... I still have one stock door speaker that is fine. And I used it to compare. The Boston was so low, and so muffled, the tweeter was BLOWING it out.

Seconds later I hooked the stocker back in and you could actually hear words! I did this at least 5 times, just to make sure.

Just an fyi, I intentionally broke apart the plastic stock harness part that comes from the door hole... keeping the metal female prongs. That way, I could quickly hook it up to either the boston, or stock speaker. That's why I could quickly tell which one worked without soldering, etc.

Does anyone know why the boston can barely be heard? The dude at "classic stereo" assured me, it would be good.
The boston that I bought is the rx67... sale price $130.

Box says: 6.5 inch, (maximum music power=160 watts, peak input power=80 watts, continuous input power=40 watts, Frequency =Response: 55-20,000 Hz)

I plan to take them back on Monday, or sooner!
ACT cluth
Magnecor wires, plugs

·
blk93stealthes
9,150 Posts
yeah the problem is that the stock head unit is not putting out enought power to push the boston's, i have the higher up model's and they wernt that loud untill i hooked them up to an amp(see sig)...but i was running them off a 60*4 alpine deck. I dunno usuall replacing the speakers with out a new head unit doesnt sound to great cause the stock head unit doesnt put out enough power.

anyone- if i am wrong please say something

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but I thought they'd at least be comparable?!
They aren't even useable.
In order to hear them, I have to crank the stereo, and have my head buried next to the door.

The tweets and everything else totally drown them out, so bad, you can't even tell they're on.

If this is the way they will sound, unless I upgrade my system, which I don't plan on doing, I'll guess I should just take them back.

IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE that you can barely hear them! Should I get the lower end bostons? lower wattage?
Or stick with the factory stuff, at least they're audible, while they last??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wm tiger:

Why would trying both of them matter.
I figured I'd not unwrap one, for more ease taking it back to the store, if it didn't work, and sure enough it didn't.

I could go pull it out of the plastic and try the other one, I just doubt it's faulty... is that what you mean?

·
blk93stealthes
9,150 Posts
id suggest that if u just want to upgrade your speakers try some kenwoods...they dont need much power and sound prety good...i cant understand why the boston's arnt sounding good either, id take them back to the place and ask why they arent working, maybee they are broken...really,boston acoustics are good speakers.

i just read some reviews for those speakers and all of them say basically the same thing...they are power hungry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just tried hooking up the other boston in the box, it sounds just as weak! So I doubt they are both defective.

Are Kenwood's less power hungry?!

You can bet when I take these Boston's back, I'll have the stockers there to show them, they sound better on my system than the Boston's.

And whatever new pair I get, I'll put on right then and there in front of them, comparing them to the 3 year old stock infinity I have that still works.

My guess is, as many have said, upping the wattage in the speaker is probably a bad thing, if you don't upgrade your system.

Any other thoughts, before I get pissed that I have to drive around another day or so without door panels, and no access to the window controls:mad:

·
Registered
584 Posts
To my understanding boston acoustics speakers require a secondary amp other than the one built into your headunit. Especially a stock head unit which i believe probaly puts out around 20 watts per channel or so max. My aftermarket deck supposedly puts out 52 watts per channel max and still wouldnt have enough power to drive these speakers. Kenwood and pioneer speakers are desgined to handle the input power of stock and aftermarket decks and still sound good, not requring a second amp to power them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.