Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hay everyone,
i am looking into getting a boost guage and a 3 guage pod for my a-pillar or whatever it is called. i am going to get some crazy boost controller from japan i think but i will need a boost guage first. i want to get indaglo to match the indaglo face guages i am getting but the only one i found was an apexi one that cost like $300 :eek: ouch! anyone know where i can get that sort of thing cheaper and where to look for good 3 guage pods? i definatly am more concerned with boost pressure accuracy but the indaglo is sweet! oh, also i gues the same question goes for egt and a/f guages but i will not get those for a while. oh again, white guages are what i want also... with blue indaglo.

and now, excessive use of these little faces for your viewing pleasure.:) :D ;) :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :( :eek: :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one other thing,
is there anyone who has put indaglo face guages from ebay in a 1st gen (no passenger airbag) without any problems? this seems to go wrong all to often from what i hear. what is the most effective safest way (not worried about time) to do this mod?
thanks

oh, and feel free to start posting replys now hehe;)

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hay, anyone out there? please reply!

·
Registered
250 Posts
The only a-pillar pods available are from Autometer. They make a 2 guage and a 1 guage (about $20 each). There is a link for someone trying to get enough people to do a half pillar molded 2 guage pod - then later they said they would do 3 guage after the first run - you could do a search. the pods from Autometer are hard to find - you can check places on the net but call to verify they have it in stock or you may not see your money for a while. The only guages that are indiglo (that I have heard of) are the APEXi guages - NOPI has the best prices I've seen - someone else may know a better place to get them - but they are WAY expensive. Especially if you can get Autometer guages which are just as good for under $100 each (they don't have the electronic ones or peak hold or other features). Anyway hopes this helps?
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hay yea, thanks a lot Robert.
i think i saw the apexi boos guage on the nopi web site. i will look for that 3 pod thing though. anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You need to decide on the size of the gauges you want to use such as 52 mm or 60mm.

Here is a shot of the 60mm Greddy White Face gauges installed in Greddy 60mm A pillar pods (two of them, they only come as singles) along my drivers side A pillar. These are an A/F and an EGT. I have the boost (along with the oil pressure and water temp.) in the main console where they replaced the factory gauges.

The illumination color is green with the needles a backlit orange.

Chris
1994 VR4

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
A look across the interior that shows the NR white face gauges in the main cluster (tach, speedo and fuel), the EGT gauge (lower Greedy on the A pillar) and the water temp and oil pressure in the center.

Chris
1994 VR4

Attachments

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
I am working on the group buy for the molded pillars, but the 3-pod will not be available till later. As for the boost gauge, you can find a mecahnical Apex i indiglo boost gauge for around $130.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I just used a pod with 1 and another with 2. I put the one at the bottom and pushed the 2 tight to it. Looks good!!!! I have an autometer a/f gauge. Go to advanceimports.com and you can get indiglo cp performance gauges? Boost is in psi though. That is good for tuning your boost controller. I have the boost and oil pressure gauge. They are so blue that you need the 6 color gauge faces to get a good match.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, cool, thanks everyone!
i was thinking 60mm just because that seems very common. hay quick-VR-4, where did you see the APEXi for $130 that is less than half what i saw it for on nopi.com . i was wondering, how do the a pillar pods mount, do they just clip on over what is there or do you cut a section out or what? i want it to look as smooth and profesional as possible, suggestions? hay bluv69k, do they have boost, a/f, and egt? what sizes? nevermind, my lazy ass will just check it out for myself (duh:rolleyes: ). psi is fine by me, i am not used to bar anyway. oh, one other question for quick-VR-4, why does the boost guage that you have go in to negitive boost (vaccume)? wouldn't something have to go catastrophically wrong for that to happen? or is that the purpose, to inform you hay, something just went catastrophically wrong. the stock one goes down to -7 psi all the time but i thought that wasn't corresct. oh and quick, nice setup man!

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
Let me try and take your questions one at a time.
i was thinking 60mm just because that seems very common. hay quick-VR-4, where did you see the APEXi for $130 that is less than half what i saw it for on nopi.com .
Apex i 60mm Boost Gauge
Apex i Boost Gauge

how do the a pillar pods mount, do they just clip on over what is there or do you cut a section out or what?
It is one piece that has the pods molded in as in the following photo.

one other question for quick-VR-4, why does the boost guage that you have go in to negitive boost (vaccume)?
All boost gauges have a vacuum reading. Just look on your stock boost gauge and it will have a negative and positive spectrum. If you have a boost leak, this is what will tip you off. If you do not have a good vacuum, you most likely have a leak somewhere.

oh and quick, nice setup man!
Thanks;)

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YES!
thanks quick-VR-4! u da man, droppin mad knowledge to the dome. (i wish i was from the ghetto:D )

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
lmao:D

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lmao??? sorry, i haven't really talked to people online other than these 60 posts over the last week or so so i am not familier with all of the abbriviations yet. i just figured out what lol meant like yesterday and i gathered the meaning of abbriviations like wtf from their context but when they don't have any context (lol, see, i am catching on) it is hard for me to figure them out. my guess for now is labratory micro automotive operation (lol). is that anywhere close to what it means?

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
You were extremely close.

lmao - laughing my ass off;)

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hay Quick VR-4, been a while but i have more questions

hay Quick VR-4,
thanks again for all the help! however, i have a few new questions now that i was wondering if you could answer. first off, is that electro luminescence (EL) on those guages the same as indaglo? it looks like it from your pic but i just wanted to make sure that it matched well. second, do you think it is worth it to get the added features of the electronic guage. i have only seen it in bar and i am accostomed to thinking in psi but should i just get accustomed to bar? third, are you doing the a-pillar 3 pod thing yet. i would like to put that on my christmas wish list if i could.
thanks!

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
Yes, the EL gauges are extremely close to the indiglo gauges. It is all preference if you want mech. or electric. Electric can be benificial because it can record the boost reading that you might miss in the heat of battle. I like PSI and hate bar. That is the main reason I want with Apex i because if the boost being in PSI, plus it is a name brand gauge and not some generic POS. Do a search on Lo-Tek if you want to get on the gauge pod group buy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts