Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'll have to check and see if I have a spare driver fender. I know I've got one set in W75 that I was keeping for my car.
Thanks. I do have a local here with a parts car with a good driver fender but in white. I didnt think it would really matter since a black would probably need paint regardless due to the age and mine seems to be resprayed.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Last night I pulled an all nighter. Not the smartest thing to do in the middle of a work week, but the job is done and I'm awake.

The engine mounts were worse than I thought they were, i did feel the engine moving a lot but didnt think they were as bad as they were. I swapped the front and rear with maximal solids and I plan on getting a new oem set for the sides.

Thankfully before I tried installing the DNP intercooler piping, I had read that the 99 SMICs are different. Unfortunately I didnt read that I was going to have problems with my charcoal canister - so after fighting it for a while, I gave up and ripped it out. I had a set of DSM SMICs a buddy had given to me that I threw on with the DNP intercooler piping last night. I also installed the Dejon preturbo piping, 3sx fuel loop, and did the exhaust side of the EGR blockoff. I'm almost not embarrassed to pop my hood anymore...

DSM SMICs peeking out

Next time I post the 120k will be completed.

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
looks good! I like my dsm sidemounts in silver too. :)

did you delete the charcoal cannister? I find it in the way too so I was going to research deleting it.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
looks good! I like my dsm sidemounts in silver too. :)

did you delete the charcoal cannister? I find it in the way too so I was going to research deleting it.
The dsm sidemounts are temporary until I can get oohnoos ;)

I ripped the canister out but didn't finish deleting that system yet since it was late and I was extremely tired. Going to finish it and the egr off when I get a boost controller

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I love the look of the DNP piping. I just installed oohnoos piping kit and SMICs and they are awesome to look at! Quality and fitment are top notch!

I love following this build because I've been dying to get my hands on a black 99' vr4 as well. I can't find one at all. How long did it take to buy this one?

·
Money pit owner.
2,585 Posts
The dsm sidemounts are temporary until I can get oohnoos ;)
ahh ok. My dsm sidemounts had the piping converted by oohnoo, but there are not the official oohnoo sidemounts.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I love the look of the DNP piping. I just installed oohnoos piping kit and SMICs and they are awesome to look at! Quality and fitment are top notch!

I love following this build because I've been dying to get my hands on a black 99' vr4 as well. I can't find one at all. How long did it take to buy this one?
I actually wasnt looking to buy another car. I happened to be looking at vr4s for a friend when I came across it posted on Facebook. It was local (~1 hour) and I always wanted a 99 that had black interior and was black or white so it was ment to be. I went look at it that weekend and drove it home the next!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Major Update!!

On Sept. 9th I was registered to autocross the car again, so on Sept 8th I took the car apart for maintenance, 120k, and replace the dented oil pan/pickup tube. However, when i pulled the pan I was greeted by some decent sized metal flakes and I naturally freaked out.

I proceeded to pull the bearings out of the engine and found that some were worn and some were beginning to wear. The crank still looked in great shape with nothing to catch a fingernail on. After addressing some concerns with Ray, I ordered a set of Clevite race bearings for the rods and mains, and some Sealed Power thrusts from him.

While waiting on my bearings to arrive, my buddy had dropped off a set of 97 fogs. My car had a broken lens on one of the fogs, so I took apart the set that was given to me, swapped projector assemblies, projector lens, and outer lens. Its amazing how such a small thing will improve the look of a car.

After receiving the bearings, I tackled the job over this past weekend. It was a long weekend of install, remove, measure, reinstall, torque, repeat, but I was able to complete the job, 120k, new oil pan and pickup, egr delete, thermostat, and solid shift cable bracket bushings. The end result was oil pressure a million times better than before (on the stock gauge) and a transmission thats butter. I also quickly found out I forgot to hook something back up because the car tried to make all the boost so until I get to it this evening, my right foot is the boost controller.

·
Science, bitch!
824 Posts
Did the bearing thickness discrepancies from clevite get resolved? Or did you not have any issues with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Did the bearing thickness discrepancies from clevite get resolved? Or did you not have any issues with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did not have any issues. They were all .0015 except main #4 @ .001.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That's on the tight side, especially #4, right? What viscosity oil are you running?
Yes, that's tight. Spec is .0008 to .0020. Ray and others recommendation shooting for .001. I run 20w50 vr1 per Ray's recommendation and I'm in the climate the owners manual states to use 20w50 in. Mitsu oil filter.

·
Science, bitch!
824 Posts
Yes, that's tight. Spec is .0008 to .0020. Ray and others recommendation shooting for .001. I run 20w50 vr1 per Ray's recommendation and I'm in the climate the owners manual states to use 20w50 in. Mitsu oil filter.
I was wondering specifically because you are autocrossing the car, so it will probably see extended high rpm use. High rpm + tight bearing clearances = higher temps, right? Is that something you are concerned about? I don't know if you counter that with a specific oil viscosity, larger/more efficient oil cooler, or both.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I was wondering specifically because you are autocrossing the car, so it will probably see extended high rpm use. High rpm + tight bearing clearances = higher temps, right? Is that something you are concerned about? I don't know if you counter that with a specific oil viscosity, larger/more efficient oil cooler, or both.
Oh yes, I see what you're saying now. I do plan on upgrading the oil cooler and moving it from behind the smic. I may do the 3sx fmoc kit but if not it will be custom.

·
Science, bitch!
824 Posts
Oh yes, I see what you're saying now. I do plan on upgrading the oil cooler and moving it from behind the smic. I may do the 3sx fmoc kit but if not it will be custom.
I have one of Terry's (Maximal Motorsports) setrab oil coolers that I still haven't gotten around to installing. I tried when I was installing my rebuilt engine last August, but something was off on the mounting bracket and I ran out of time...so I just reused my original oil cooler. The setrabs are supposed to work very well and would be worth using if you want to go the custom route.

·
One fix at a time
7,762 Posts
It was the Clevite thrusts that had issues. He ordered Sealed Power thrusts from Ray so maybe Clevite hasn't fixed them yet for being too tight. When I replaced my main and rod bearings about 6 years ago I had 0.0015" mains and 0.002" rods. With 15W-40 my oil pressure was 16-18 psi at hot idle. I now run VR1 20W-50 for better turbo bearing wear protection. At first I thought my oil pressure was too high being close to 40 at idle warm but it has since gone down to about 23-25 at 750 rpms. Even before Ray said it was ok and wouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
For the past week I've been changing one busted coolant hose after another. Not keeping up with the cooling system services really did a number on this car. Practically all of the nipples are rusty, one snapped in half when changing a hose.

I am now in search of a clean, non rusty, complete thermostat housing with neck, turbo coolant lines, and the iac block (or whole throttle body). The throttle body could be in need of a rebuild since I have rebuild parts already.

Also I was wondering what everyone does as far as floor mats. This did not come with oem mats. I do not want the diamond plated crap in here. It has the mats you buy off ebay that say 3000gt on them but I find they dont fit very well.

I am also interested in what people do as far as the bov hose. I'm using a evo bypass valve at the moment so a stock hose works fine, but mine is beginning to get old and I was wondering if anyone found a silicone option.

It's not all a bad update though. I purchased a set of reconditioned headlights and turn signals which drastically improved the look of the car. It just needs to be washed now haha. I may end up restoring the pulled off set and throwing them on my 94. Or just keep them for backup.

Passenger side original, driver side restored.

·
Super Moderator
21,048 Posts
The lights look great cleaned up nice work! What'd you use?

The t-stat housing, IAC block / tbody - those are all aluminum right? So you shouldn't ever have rust issues. If anything you could sandblast and paint them, or polish them...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The lights look great cleaned up nice work! What'd you use?

The t-stat housing, IAC block / tbody - those are all aluminum right? So you shouldn't ever have rust issues. If anything you could sandblast and paint them, or polish them...
I bought the lights like this, mainly to get another set of 99 turns with them. I have a few sets now and I can throw the set that was originally on the car on my 94 after I restore them.

I do believe they're all aluminum but I'm not sure about the nipples that come off of them. There is definitely rust build up on those. I also have to change the crossover pipe when the housing comes off because the outside lip has almost completely deteriorated.

Regardless I'd rather have a good set to throw on to bring down time to a few hours.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts