Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
There is one.

(going from bad short-term memory here) Under the exhaust ports, on the front side (the car's front, i.e. closest to the radiator) of the engine, round disc, about 2 inches or so in diameter. Sorry, no pictures. It should just pry out with a screwdriver. You'll probably have to jack the car up and get at it from underneath.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andrew,

There's really no thread here saying were the plug is and your help is appreciated.

On the sheet with the zerostart package it says that the plug is located right rear. I looked in that location for about an hour and couldn't find the dawm plug.

Would you say that the hole (from underneath) is front right, front left, rear right, rear left or dead center from the drivers side perspective ?

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I brought the Hog in to work today, and I won't be able to check my engine until I get home tonight, so you'll have to wait til tomorrow. If I can, I'll take a picture.

Although I'm quite happy with ZeroStat's product, their web page leaves something to be desired. For example, the location they tell you for the Stealth is different from what they tell you for the 3000GT! Don't despair, though - once you get it in, you'll find it works just fine, and will bring your engine to operating temperature in two hours on a typical Ottawa winter's morning.

If you have an automatic transaxle, you may find that a hot engine and a cold tranny gives a headache to some on-board computer. Even though the engine is rarin' to go, I find that the tranny won't shift higher than 2nd for at least about a minute or so after I start the car. Strange.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for looking into this. I'll jack up the car tonight and see if i can't find the spot. I'm in need to plug the car in for this winter.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey! Your in Ottawa too? Cool..are you going to come out and partcipate in the Car shows every wednesday next year? :cool:

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
From the below, you wouldn't know that I'm actually a good photographer. Just not with a digital camera, one-handed, on my back in the garage, target sight unseen.

The first picture is from standing in front of the passenger-side front corner of the car. You ought to recognize the view. Immediately to the left of the lower left corner of the yellow warning sticker on the radiator fan shroud, you can faintly see a silver line. That line is the reflection of the sunlight off of the lower edge of the block heater disc that plugs into the frost plug. It's about due left of those 5 or 6 Japanese characters on the label. This picture gets you looking in the right area

The second picture is a much closer view from almost the same angle. The silver sliver of reflected light is much more obvious, to the immediate left of the gray-metal tin exhaust manifold cover.

The third picture was taken from under the car, looking almost straight up (I just stuck the camera under and blindly took a few shots, and this was the most useful result). I'm pretty sure that the top of the picture is the front of the car, the bottom of the picture is the rear of the car. Two of the three exhaust manifold pipes are quite obvious - rust red, and I think they are the middle one and the driver's-side one. You can clearly see the block heater, with the red plastic cap for the plug, and the black electric cable coming off of it.

My cable was run to follow the positive battery cable up to somewhere around the rear driver's side of the stock air box, and then over to the passenger-side wall of the engine bay. The plug sits between the air box and the engine bay wall, so when I get home at night I just pop the hood up and plug it in to an extension cord, the other end of which is on a timer. I have the Stealth here today, so if you need pictures of the cable routing, let me know. Clearly, you don't have to route the cable like I did - you can route it wherever you darn well please.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow thanks for the pics and description. With your help i finally did find it. It's kind of an odd place to have the hole near the manifold like that but hey, as long as i have the block warm for this winter that's all i care about.

thank you very much !

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Somebody was asking about where the cord is for my block heater.

In a view we all recognize, the first picture shows the plug (the protective cover is off the plug, just to make obvious to viewers what in all that mess is the plug).

Cable runs with all the brake lines at the bottom of the picture, then around the left of the air box, and to the right of the battery, tied to the cable with that yellow band on it.

Second picture is standing at front of car, looking down. You can identify the coolant overflow tank on the bottom left, coil pack on the right, edge of air intake hose at top. Note that I have an auto tranny, so that big pile of metal you see on mine may look different on yours.

Cable is not glaringly visible, but is tie-wrapped to that pair of black cables running from top left to bottom right (one of which has a yellow band on it, I think it's the positive battery cable), mostly obscured by the fat radiator hoses above them.

Just use common sense when running the cable from the block heater, tie-wrap it to anything that is running in the direction you want, tie it down securely, and keep it away from any moving parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts