Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
access denied
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few PMs about these over the past few months. If there is enough interest I can get a batch of these made. The days of dirt cheap aerospace-quality machining is gone so prices aren’t as cheap as the last time I had these made (years ago). That said pricing is only slightly higher than previously. Delivery is 5 weeks from when I place my order. I’ll place the order as soon as I get 5 people or as long as people are willing to wait for more sets to be commited to. All gear sets are heat treated, deburred, media blasted, and have 100% inspection.

If I get 5 people to commit the price is $460/gear set + $15 insured Fedex shipping.

If I get 10 people to commit the price is $435/gear set + $15 insured Fedex shipping.

This is what they look like:

And this is what inspection looks like:

·
access denied
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm down.... And would need shipped to Canada
Canada shipping isn't a problem... you have to decide if you are willing to pay extra $$ for quality insured shipping (Fedex/UPS) or risk slow USPS with limited tracking or insurance options. We can work that out via PM if you want.

·
One fix at a time
7,762 Posts
I have a set of these and they're well worth it. I just took apart a 472AWHP motor only to find that the oil pump gear was cracked in about 3 places. This motor was a few years old since it had the oil pump replaced so it was a good batch of the oil pumps. The stock gears just can't handle it.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I have a set of these and they're well worth it. I just took apart a 472AWHP motor only to find that the oil pump gear was cracked in about 3 places. This motor was a few years old since it had the oil pump replaced so it was a good batch of the oil pumps. The stock gears just can't handle it.
So it was one of these that cracked?

·
One fix at a time
7,762 Posts
So it was one of these that cracked?
No sorry I thought I clarified that. It was an OEM oil pump gear that cracked. I bet the oil pump didn't make it much past 400AWHP before it cracked. It's really the high revs not so much the power that cracks it to a certain extent because pushing enough power will make the end of the crank move around more. It had good oil pressure and everything else looked good. I didn't know it had cracked until I took everything apart and noticed about 1/16" large cracks in the gear. For a 19T or above turbo setup I would recommend these pump gears for sure. BTW, that oil pump gear cracked on 13T turbos. It was out of Canenac's Spyder. The motor was perfect though so unless he had changed bearings out recently it looked fine and he probably had a good tune. Nevertheless, the oil pump gear couldn't handle the abuse.

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
I know they are stronger then stock, but what about longevity on a daily driven car with lots of highway time ?

When do you plan to get these out ?

Eric

·
access denied
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no reason you couldn’t DD a car with these gears. They are superior in every way to stock (except cost, LOL).

I should have them in-hand within 5 weeks of placing the order (hopefully sooner). I won’t order them until I have 5 people committed. I doubt people will want to wait for another 5+ people for a small cost savings but that’s your call.

·
One fix at a time
7,762 Posts
I know they are stronger then stock, but what about longevity on a daily driven car with lots of highway time ?

When do you plan to get these out ?

Eric
There shouldn't be any reason they won't last at least as long as OEM gears. I would highly recommend a set Eric especially with DR-750s since you're making tons of torque plus reving higher than the stock redline. At your power level if you miss one shift and get lucky enough when it goes in a lower gear that it doesn't jump the timing, you will crack the oil pump gear for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
1. Caswell239
2. cjbyron
3. No name dude
4. TT Eric

·
access denied
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If a 5th person doesn't commit by Monday I'll buy an extra gear for myself and place the order on Monday if you guys want to get this rolling. I was thinking about asking a token deposit just to make sure people follow through, but as long as you guys are serious I'll just place the order w/o a deposit. Let me know what you think...

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Either way is good for me!

Eric

·
access denied
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Order is placed for 5 sets. If anyone wants to get in you've probably got a few days to a week before raw material is ordered/delivered. At least we are officially in the queue now. I won't take payment until they are shipping out unless someone wants to pre-pay (thats fine with me). Paypal email [email protected]

1. Caswell239
2. cjbyron
3. No name dude
4. TT Eric
5. Peter 95TT

1 - 20 of 126 Posts