Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
access denied
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Increasing volume flow without increasing the effective orifice size of the entire engine will raise oil pressure and open the pressure relief valve earlier and more often. IMO hot idle is the only time most 6g7x engines could possibly use a little more flow (and resulting pressure). With a new pump housing and billet gears (using proper weight oil) I haven't found the current design to be lacking. I'm not saying it couldn't be improved, but it is certainly the best bang for the buck.

·
The dark shall be with us
7,330 Posts
Any credible evidence that's nessecary?

Jason
I did a lot s of research about high volume oil pump there were many different designs out there for popular engines suck as rb26 NSX's engine and such, but the the simplest one i found that can work on our oil pump also was cosworth oil pump for WRX sti. the gears are exact diameter, but 2mm thicker which gave it 20% more oil flow.
Impreza Modified Oil Pump 12mm High Volume High Pressure Subaru Cosworth EJ20 EJ25 20001185 - Graham Goode Racing

Increasing volume flow without increasing the effective orifice size of the entire engine will raise oil pressure and open the pressure relief valve earlier and more often. IMO hot idle is the only time most 6g7x engines could possibly use a little more flow (and resulting pressure). With a new pump housing and billet gears (using proper weight oil) I haven't found the current design to be lacking. I'm not saying it couldn't be improved, but it is certainly the best bang for the buck.
these gears are sure the best bag and are must, but low life bearing on high powered 3/S made me to wonder how come we don't have high volume pump like most other cars out there so i start searching to see how high volume oil pump works and i talked to couple guys who have ability for CNCing parts. your gears are the most important part of the oil pump so i recommend you to the guys who's willing to do some r&d on the high volume pump. high volume pump sure increase oil pressure per rpm and a higher capacity oil pan is recommended for these pumps.i'm planning to hone orifices and oil galley of my block. i'm not sure how far we can go with this, but if this didn't work out i may go for dry sump system. Nelson's engine never had bearing problem with his engine with dry sump system he has for his car.

·
Breaks everything
9,937 Posts
Lower bearing life is likely from poor assembly or when really pushed the stock crank flexing...not lack of oil pressure...increasing pressure as mentioned will just open the relief valve and/or increase oil temps...

Jason

·
access denied
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
If there is enough interest I can see about having another small batch of these made, just let me know (I've had a couple PM's). I'd probably need at least 5 committed buyers though. If so I'll start a new thread.

Wayne

81 - 90 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.