Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced my fluid in my trans with bm synchroshift and it shifts like i never has before and i used standard fluid and synthetic fluids before. the nochhy ness went from five out of ten times to two out of ten that sounds like noticable improvement to me and even the nochy ness is less nochy if anybody needs some i can get it down the street from me at the local jeep dealeror i can give you the tel # great stuff

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
What trans do you have? I've been running Redline MT-90 in by 3KGT Base for a couple years and it doesn't impress me that much. I have thought about trying BG Sycroshift. Have you ever used MT-90? How much did the BG Sycroshift cost per qt? I think it's like $16.00 around here (MD)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I bought my 94 VR4 in July of this year. It had 5100 miles on. After driving it for about a 1000 miles I changed out all the fluids (among other things).
I put a 50/50 blend of RedLine MTL/MT-90 in the transmission and transfer case (I arrived at this formula through a set of lengthy e-mails with RedLine).
I had felt the transmission to be "notchy" and not nearly as smooth as I thought it should have been. I found 4-3 downshifts to be near impossible.
After the change the improvement seemed modest at best. But after a 1000 miles or so it started to really improve. By 2000 miles the shifting is as good as any sports/performance car I have owned or driven.
I drove my brother-in-laws brand new BMW on a recent visit he made here. The VR4 shifts better. He drove the VR4 and said it shifts as well or better than his 1998 Porsche Boxster (he is also jealous because it is a better perfoming and handling car).
I can smoothly make the 4-3 downshift now wih no problem.

I've been very impressed with RedLine's products.

Chris

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
Kalin........Don't use "straight" MTL in your tranny. It is said that the straight MTL will cause premature syncro wear. Redline says to mix the MTL with MT-90 OR use just straight MT-90 depending on the temperature range in your local, e.g. the hotter the temps the more MTL up to a 50/50 mix. Just passing on info from Redline.

Bob

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have 100% mtl in my tranny...and the shifts are a much better than b4 but still bit notchy...50/50 mtl and mt90 is better? Hmm. that's what I'll do next time...hehehe take care guys but can anybody tell me why this formulation is better? and are you sure that by using mtl will eat up my synchros???

·
3,802 Posts
How often should I change my transmission fluid?
Player

K

·
0 Posts
thanks for your info, Bob.
whoa I was about to use straight MTL, though I ordered MTL already. I will call em up tomorrow and order MT-90.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
As I noted in my prior post I exchanged several e-mails with RedLine to determine the right mix for the transmission and transfer case (plus what to use in the differential).

I provided all the details about the car driving habits, weather and anything else I could think of.

They recommended the 50/50 MTL/MT-90 for the transmission and transfer case, 75W90 gear oil for the differential "for my needs/use".

I asked about using shockproof heavy in the transfer case and differneential and they said this was not recommended for my situation (street use, daily drive, no racing, some all out starts and occasional high speeds,garaged,moderate climate here in SW VA).

They also recommended 10W30 as the best oil choice.

I got e-mail responses within 24 hours to my questions. The answers were as detailed as my questions. I recommend doing this as everyones situation may be a little different.

I'm more than happy to detail what my situation is and what I'm using but I think getting an exact answer is better.

They did tell me that blending the MTL and MT-90 was necessary to get within the recommended viscosity range for the VR's trans/transfer case.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Forgot to answer this question.

I haven't seen anything (owners manual, service manuals, etc.) that lists drain intervals for tranny/transfer case/differential.

I discussed this with the shop that I use for service work. They specialize in sports and performance cars (European and Japanese).
They suggested I go a year and change it again and see what the fluids look like.

When I had the fluids changed the first time (in August with about 6000 miles on the car) there were some (not lots)fine metal particles in each of these fluids. Since the fluids in the car were the factory originals we all felt this was not grossly abnormal but we want to see what it looks like next time (I was going to do it again in 6 months but they said that wasn't necessary).

After that change we'll se what interval makes sense based on what we find.

FYI- I bought the RedLine myself so that I could have the shop use what I wanted. When I got there for the first time I found out they recommend and sell RedLine. They mostly work on BMW's and Porsche's.

Chris

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have a 3000 gt turbo with about 125000 on the trans if u told me it took off 50000 miles i would belive you

T

·
0 Posts
I changed my tranny fluid to BG Syncroshift and what a difference!!! The tranny was very notchy, especially when cold. I have a 92 RT/TT

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it cost about 11$ at the jeep dealer its been about three days now and the shiftind just keeps getting better. On a differant note. i chanded my trans fluid about four times in the last three months trying to get a smoth shifting fluid and every time i changed i noticed that the fluid was full of what looked like metal dust can anyone relate

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it cost about 11$ at the jeep dealer its been about three days now and the shiftind just keeps getting better. On a differant note. i chanded my trans fluid about four times in the last three months trying to get a smoth shifting fluid and every time i changed i noticed that the fluid was full of what looked like metal dust can anyone relate

1 - 15 of 15 Posts