Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i have narrowed my car problems down to a leak somewhere around the throttle body. the car idles for sh*t and if i bring the revs up, the check engine light goes off and she runs fine.
What is the best way to find a boost/vacuum leak???
its around the throttle body, and i have tried sprinking water on the hoses to no avail..

any suggestions????

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Get a can of carburetor cleaner or starting fluid and spray it under the hood until you find the spot where your idle is affected.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Brake Clean

Buy a can of brake clean and spray it on different areas when your car is running. When your engine speed changes you have found the leak.
Hope this helps,
Steve

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just for clarificaton....

so your saying that if i use brake cleaner, and spray it on the affected area my idle will go back up???
or am i looking for bubbles or sumthing...
sorry bout the questions, but this is the first time i have ever had to hunt for one of these things...

cheers,

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Car will go faster

If you have a leak - the engine should suck the brake cleaner into the system and rev faster.

And dont do that with a warm engine - Brake Cleaner and hot turos do not get along so well.

·
20 yr owner
1,867 Posts
I used starting fluid..
The good news is I found the general area
where the leak was...but the bad was to
actually pinpoint it.

I never did pinpoint that small leak but
it leaks no more as I changed all the hoses.
Now changing all your vacuum hoses will
net a positive response, plus add color to
your engine bay.:)

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Fluids used

I would recommend brake clean because less flamable than carb cleaner or starting fluid:eek: Have to be careful around hot manifolds, etc.

·
382 Posts
Run a search using the terms: intake pressure tester

1 - 8 of 8 Posts