Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to keep boost stock and still get my car really fast. my friend's 300zx runs stock boost and his car took out a 100 shot NOS SS Camaro. He doesn't tell anyone what he did to his car. From what i know he has done is intake, exhaust, chip. will a chip do much for vr4s? and where do i get them?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You typically hear about "chips" on european cars, which use an electronically controlled solenoid valve to control boost. (Ours is pre-set, at 9.5 or 11psi) So, when a person says they "chipped" the car, it's mostly just increasing boost. On a 300Z.... I'm not sure what that would mean. :)

There really are no special ECU chips for our cars, just flat out ecu upgrades. The G-Force really doesn't do anything aside from slightly alter the fuel maps and ignition timing to make the most of what mods you already have. (www.dynamicracing.com)

As for the 300ZX.... if he's beating an SS with a 100 shot... He's probably got a hell of a lot more done to his car than you'd think. I'd say screw it, increasing the boost is the cheapest way to get there.

Personally, I'd say he had to have increased the boost. Unless he's had a ton of work done to the car. Or the Camaro runs either a smaller shot, or no shot at all.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i ride with him in his car his boost doesn't go over 9 psi. stock engine and internals. i don't get it. would a downpipe upgrade on my car help turbos hold boost to redline better?

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
he has an aftermarket boost guage? It may be hooked up wrong. Most 300zx chips raise the boost amid other things.

100shot SS should trap close to 120 ??

No way in hell a 300zx truly running 9psi can keep up, lmao.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
A 100shot SS is not going to trap at 120. More like 110 or so. Adding a hundred horses puts it on Z06 levels but it still weighs a lot more, and those things aren't trapping at 120.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Maintenance:
NGK BCPR7ES-11 plugs gapped at 0.036"
New stock wires
Pressure test your IC pipes
A good fuel injector cleaner (I like Redline's) (more so to get deposits off the valves)
New Fuel filter

Good stuff:
Intake (get cold air to it if possible)
No cats if you can get away with it (DN precat eliminators would be optimal)
Downpipe
Nice Catback (Pitroad M titanium single if you're looking to loose weight)
Lightweight Flywheel
Underdrive Pulley
PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
Lightweight wheels
S-AFC (Stock fueling is REALLY rich. You could lean it out some (0.94V) and pick up a few HP from both the fuel and the timing advance you'll see from the lower MAF signal)
All redline fluids (Loose some friciton in the drivetrain and you'll pick up a HP or two at the wheels)
94 octane (guaranteed maximum timing advance even in the worst conditons)
Alcohol injection (you may not be knocking but you'll pick up a few HP from the checmical intercooling)
Loose weight off the car (CF hood/hatch, light seats, light battery, light lugnuts, light brakes, coil over suspension, dump the crap in the back)

If you're really nuts and want to be sure to make the most power at the least amount of boost:
RC throttle body
Extrude hone upper/lower intake manifold, exhaust manifold
DR Stage III heads w/ race cams and gear needed to touch 8K
FMIC (or better side mounts like DR's)
HKS hard IC pipes
ARC2 fuel controller w/big MAF (Might flow a hair better than the stock MAF (of course you won't need the SAFC then))
DN Hard intake pipes

Less important:
BOV (Probably not worth much at stock boost but you would be SURE it wasn't leaking and causing your charge air temps to elevate)
Move the oil cooler from behind the drivers side IC to in front of the radiator (IC should cool a hair better)

Something to consider:
Boost controller @ 13.0psi (Stock 94+cars peak out at 13.0 psi. With a boost controller you won't really be turing up the boost...it will just allow you to hol 13.0 psi as long as possible.)

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
UTRacerX9 said:
A 100shot SS is not going to trap at 120. More like 110 or so.

LOL

Sorry to be slightly off-topic, but that's BS.

So a 100 shot would've only given my WS6 2MPH?:rolleyes: I trap 108MPH with just a lid and a cutout being the only performance mods (the exhaust is negated by the cutout). If I were to toss on a 100 shot it should trap atleast 116MPH.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Wow, it's the guy who knows everything again. It was just an estimate you jackass. And is 116 the same as 120? NO. Z06's trap around 110-112, so it isn't gonna be far off from that. Maybe you should start your own forum, you could call it "The LS1 beats any engine ever designed" I'd love to go to your war stories page, it would read, "LS1 beats 3000Gt, LS1 smokes Ferrari, LS1 whups up on Lamborghini, Slightly modified LS1 decimates McLaren F1...."

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
UTRacerX9 said:
Wow, it's the guy who knows everything again.

Everything? Not yet, but I'm working on it.;)

It was just an estimate you jackass. And is 116 the same as 120? NO. Z06's trap around 110-112, so it isn't gonna be far off from that.

LOL

You are a crybaby, whiney idiot. You're not even making sense. You stated an LS1 with a 100 shot would trap 110MPH. That is a grossly incorrect guess that does nothing but illustrate your lack of knowledge/understanding.

Maybe you should start your own forum, you could call it "The LS1 beats any engine ever designed" I'd love to go to your war stories page, it would read, "LS1 beats 3000Gt, LS1 smokes Ferrari, LS1 whups up on Lamborghini, Slightly modified LS1 decimates McLaren F1...."

LMAO

Cry me a river, son. I'm sorry you can't handle simple fact and it makes you fly off the handle. I'll get working on that forum as soon as you start

www.imakeshitupbecauseidontreallyknowwhatimtalkingaboutandcrylikeabitchwhenpeoplecorrectme.com

I'm not going to ruin this thread arguing with feeble minds so this will be my last post directed towards you. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
I'm sure Powelsound has dibs on it already.

·
Registered
17,551 Posts
UTRacerX9 said:
I'm sure Powelsound has dibs on it already.
Oh jesus... I feel embarassed FOR YOU... That insult was like... an all time low. Congratulations.

Gotta love when people try to talk shit to powelsound... i've seen countless people get owned by him... so i wouldnt take it personally, UTRacer... lol... I mean you're probably like #1242323 served by Powel...

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Weed_Man said:

Oh jesus... I feel embarassed FOR YOU... That insult was like... an all time low. Congratulations.

Gotta love when people try to talk shit to powelsound... i've seen countless people get owned by him... so i wouldnt take it personally, UTRacer... lol... I mean you're probably like #1242323 served by Powel...

LMFAO!

:D :bigthumb: :beer:

·
Street Master
821 Posts
Sorry guys but I am gona pipe in on this....

It depends on a lot of things. LS1's don't repond to nitrous as well as LT1's....

Now if this guy has built the shit out of his 300zx he could be only running 9psi. And be that fast. If he has a fully build engine with high compression pistons 9psi would hall ass. *bigger turbos fmic and all the other goodies. But I would honestly say that is a lot of work to do when just cranking up the boost will get you fast, and it would be cheaper. However it is posible.

There is a civic around here that last year was running 11's on 8psi. His new setup should get him into the 10's and I am not sure how much boost he will be running. But it won't be high 20's like you would think.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
I certainly don't feel owned by a moron. Powelsound lives in his own emotionally stunted little world, where he plays with little models of F-Bodies until mommy tells him to come inside.

Hey Powelsound, want to know how to get a higher trap speed out of ANY car? Spin the tires more at the line. Your 108 trap speed (your best) simply means you had a shitty launch and spun more than your other runs.

No no, don't thank me for the physics lesson, I am busy dedicating this site,

www.imakeshitupbecauseidontreallyknowwhatimtalkingaboutandcrylikeabitchwhenpeoplecorrectme.com

to you and your little F-Body saga. Roll on Powelprude!

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
UTRacerX9 said:
Hey Powelsound, want to know how to get a higher trap speed out of ANY car? Spin the tires more at the line. Your 108 trap speed (your best) simply means you had a shitty launch and spun more than your other runs.

Actually, I had pretty consistent 107-108MPH traps. I've trapped 100MPH spinning through 1st, 2nd and part of the way through 3rd. Too much wheel spin will significantly lower traps. Anyway, when I want to you know what you think you know about drag racing, I'll ask you. Until that time, I'll let you make a fool out of yourself on your own. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Pretty pathetic from the self proclaimed resident "smartass." I think you should change your profile to say "dumbass." Thank you, drive through. (Or push your F-body through, whatever works for ya.)

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
zizux said:
It depends on a lot of things. LS1's don't repond to nitrous as well as LT1's....

LS1's respond very well to nitrous. However, unlike the LT1, they respond much better to NA mods like heads/cam upgrades. The LT1 iron block makes it more suitable for forced induction. When it all boils down, nitrous is nitrous and a 100shot is a 100shot.:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts