Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been auto crossing for 11 years now, of course I did not buy my 92 TT for this purpose, but its what I do for fun. I'm still very competitive in this car despite its obvious setbacks for this sport. This is not something that i'm necessarily going to do right away, I would just like to get some experienced advice from those of you who have upgraded past 9b's. Not trying to get into a discussion about all the other "autocross mods", would like to keep this strictly turbo selection only please.

·
thuanvinhny
1,587 Posts
Well after all the research and budget measurement. Please do 13t turbos. They put down super low rpm torque, and can be made around 300-350 awhp. Super fast spool. Best budget build.

Some injectors
Pair 13t
Flashed 99 ecu
Hotwire fuel pump

Nothing more than that. Unless your clutch is in a bad shape too

·
Super Moderator
21,162 Posts
How are your regional courses set up? Mostly 1, 2 gears? Any faster stuff?

My regions have always set very tight courses, 1st or 1st and 2nd in a 6spd. I upgraded to 13Ts and found the tradeoff between minimal lag to post-spool power to be favorable to quicker times.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are your regional courses set up? Mostly 1, 2 gears? Any faster stuff?

My regions have always set very tight courses, 1st or 1st and 2nd in a 6spd. I upgraded to 13Ts and found the tradeoff between minimal lag to post-spool power to be favorable to quicker times.
I'm lucky that Fort Wayne Region (Indiana) has always tailored there courses to CP cars, so we usually have some very fast courses. I was kinda guessing 13t's based on what I have been reading.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Do you have e85 pumps available around you? You would be able to get more aggressive with the tune and gain a lot more torque on e85 over pump 91/93. Ray put down 650awhp on e85 through stock fuel lines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have e85 pumps available around you? You would be able to get more aggressive with the tune and gain a lot more torque on e85 over pump 91/93. Ray put down 650awhp on e85 through stock fuel lines.
We do, and I agree 100%, but not the direction I'm heading at the moment. What about DR750's, 16t's, any other suggestions or ideas? Our fictional budget is unlimited here :)

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
9b's can do 330 whp. 13t/15g can do 400 on pump with no meth on a good running car.

If money isnt an issue get the new DR-650's, if it is, rebuilding into 13t or 15g size would have more bonus' than drawbacks. Anything larger I would advise against.

Having a 5 speed is nice since the first gear is so useable on most autocross courses.

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
If money REALLY isnt an issue suspension mods and a center and front diff would make a bigger difference than an extra 100-200 hp would. Also fitting 275 or wider rubber on 10" wheels would have a great improvement as well.

17,432 Posts
In my experience you are only giving up about 200 RPM of spool with the DR750s over the 13Ts. That is with the TiAL turbine though.

They start pulling hard after 3000 RPM.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok a little background info. 92 TT 122k excellent condition.

Mod list

AEM Tru Boost
Supra Pump Hot wired
120k service with oil pump, kevlar belt, GZP preset cam gears
Drive Shaft Shop 2 piece aluminum shaft
K&N Filter
Seattle Roller Bearing Shifter
KYB and S-Techs
SS Brake Lines
18x9 Saleen Wheels

Have all new ignition system plugs wires, ignition module, coil packs and 99 lifters not installed yet.

What i was planning next was exhaust, lighter wheels and better rubber, then the clutch will need done at some point so might as well put in the SCE Center diff and Quaife front, bell housing brace, motor mounts. Then it will be time for acr2, injectors and turbos. The type of turbos i want and or should get is the only real thing i'm uncertain of. I'm not rich by any means, so all of this is going to take time, and i'm in no hurry. However i will research stuff to death before I move on anything, just how I am. Thanks for all the input so far.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my experience you are only giving up about 200 RPM of spool with the DR750s over the 13Ts. That is with the TiAL turbine though.

They start pulling hard after 3000 RPM.
I'm not familiar with the TIAL turbine on the 750's unless that's just the titanium wheel that makes those things rip? I'm glad you posted because while i thought the 13t's to be a great option, I couldn't help but think the DR750's would be an amazing turbo for an auto cross car/street car. Honestly I think it would be possible to really shock some people with a DR750 car. We have a Street Modified Street Tire class here locally, typically around 18-25 cars in class per event. I've averaged about 8th place, only a few tenths from 3rd and 4th with a lightly modded 3800lb beast. With some lighter wheels, better tires and exhaust, I should be able to move up a spot or two.

·
thuanvinhny
1,587 Posts
If money in the budget is not a problem for you. 750 will do a wonderful job. The big different are in supporting mods and tunning.

I run 19t, and I spent twice as much as someone running 13t

17,432 Posts
I'm not familiar with the TIAL turbine on the 750's unless that's just the titanium wheel that makes those things rip? I'm glad you posted because while i thought the 13t's to be a great option, I couldn't help but think the DR750's would be an amazing turbo for an auto cross car/street car. Honestly I think it would be possible to really shock some people with a DR750 car. We have a Street Modified Street Tire class here locally, typically around 18-25 cars in class per event. I've averaged about 8th place, only a few tenths from 3rd and 4th with a lightly modded 3800lb beast. With some lighter wheels, better tires and exhaust, I should be able to move up a spot or two.
yeah I mean the titanium turbine.

With the 9 blade I think I'd rather go to a DR650 for an autocross turbo now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah I mean the titanium turbine.

With the 9 blade I think I'd rather go to a DR650 for an autocross turbo now.
Is that because the 9 blade 650's perform well enough that it would be hard to justify going to 750's as a matter of cost? Or do you think the 650's would perform better under autocross conditions compared to the 750's? I would think the 750's would have a huge benefit in spool and power band due to that titanium wheel?

17,432 Posts
The 9 blade is the new turbine wheel on the DR750s. The titanium turbine wheel is not available right now.

I expect to see some real results soon, but for now I would assume that the DR650 (with the clipped TD04L) when is going to spool faster, but make overall less power than the new DR750s with the 9 blade inconel turbine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 9 blade is the new turbine wheel on the DR750s. The titanium turbine wheel is not available right now.

I expect to see some real results soon, but for now I would assume that the DR650 (with the clipped TD04L) when is going to spool faster, but make overall less power than the new DR750s with the 9 blade inconel turbine.
Ok, I understand now. Didn't realize what changes had been going on of late. Thanks for all the input. You have really helped with a hard choice, especially with all the great options for our platform.

Thanks to the rest of you for your input as well. This forum has helped me out a TON since I bought my Stealth.

·
Super Asurada SA-01
2,130 Posts
Since you are considering upgrading the turbos, am I correct in assuming that you run (or plan to run) in SM?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since you are considering upgrading the turbos, am I correct in assuming that you run (or plan to run) in SM?
Yes I am currently running SM, we have a local SM on street tire class that has been very popular here. I believe it started in Detroit? Not a national class obviously.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts