Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best sub $500 head unit I can get for a car? Must be able to play MP3 CDs and have good preset EQ settings (Rock, Techno, Pop, Classical, etc.)

Cool-looking display is a plus!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
What is an external amp?
THe Head unit itself is not amplified, you can't hook it straight to speakers, it must go through an amplifier. If you don't know that much this is probably not the unit for you. Not flaming you, this is a higher end than you probably need is all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Get the next lower alpine head unit then. The 7893 or 7894
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
Pioneer DEH-P9300. High resolution organic LED display, 13 channel equalizer built in, XM ready :)

The sound quality on mine is awesome, plus it's got the built in FULL EQ, not just a simple 3 band (lo,mid,hi), and it looks really nice ;)

~matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mitsusl said:
eru - Just thought I would say welcome to the '99 Club! Your car looks good, when is it going to be delivered? :cool:
The dealer is holding the car for me till end of December. I had to put a $5000 down payment but it's as good as mine. My father brought the car to the mechanic and the only thing it needs are new timing belts (which the dealer will replace).

When I go home for winter vacation I will pick it up (most likely a day or two before christmas).

The '99 Club is the best 3/S club. Half of the 3/S owners here seem to want their car to look like a 99.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alpine 7894 looks really nice. Maybe that will be the one for me.

How much do you think your avg audio mechanic will charge to put that in? (I have no technical skills at all so don't bash me)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Even if you know nothing about audio the thing could take you 30 mintues max. All you have to do is buy a wire harness and connect the red with red; blue with blue .... You get the picture. Its really easy.

That said you could find someone to install it for $20-40
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
copper2002 said:
Even if you know nothing about audio the thing could take you 30 mintues max. All you have to do is buy a wire harness and connect the red with red; blue with blue .... You get the picture. Its really easy.

That said you could find someone to install it for $20-40
The wha? Green harness? Red who?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
The wha? Green harness? Red who?
Nevermind, have a professional install it:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
The wha? Green harness? Red who?
If you can use a roll of electrical tape, a screwdriver and are not color blind you can change it out yourself in 30 minutes. Removing the stock stereo is simple, just unplug things until it is free, then buy the wire harness from any stereo shop or online at crutchfield, then connect the harness to your stereo , blue to blue, red to red, then plug everything back in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ibceptor said:


If you can use a roll of electrical tape, a screwdriver and are not color blind you can change it out yourself in 30 minutes. Removing the stock stereo is simple, just unplug things until it is free, then buy the wire harness from any stereo shop or online at crutchfield, then connect the harness to your stereo , blue to blue, red to red, then plug everything back in.
So it is wrong to yank the stock head unit out of the car until something snaps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
477 Posts
It's not wrong, in fact it's the best way to do it!

Naw, really it's pretty simple to install a new HU. Pull off the trim piece, unscrew the four screws in there, pop in the new HU and any trim kit you get, put in the wiring harness, and then connect wires of the same color/stripe. Electrical tape the wires, then it's off to the races. Screw in the trim and HU, put the trim on, and turn the key. Jam on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
my 2 cents

I have a Kenwood X959 and I love it. It's selling for $569 at Crutchfield ( http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-mccWwEwQxb7/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=62700&I=113KDCX959&o=m&a=1) but you can get it cheaper other places.

It's got an organic EL display that looks AWESOME. It's also possible to download different animations off the internet, burn them to a CD, and then upload them to the receiver. It is capable of playing mp3s off CD-Rs and CD-RWs. Really, really, nice. Internal amp as well so you don't have to worry about buying one of those. I love it.

Here's a website with animations you can download:
http://959.svideo.org/

http://www.kenwood.net-disp.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: my 2 cents

Havok_TT said:
I have a Kenwood X959 and I love it. It's selling for $569 at Crutchfield ( http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-mccWwEwQxb7/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=62700&I=113KDCX959&o=m&a=1) but you can get it cheaper other places.

It's got an organic EL display that looks AWESOME. It's also possible to download different animations off the internet, burn them to a CD, and then upload them to the receiver. It is capable of playing mp3s off CD-Rs and CD-RWs. Really, really, nice. Internal amp as well so you don't have to worry about buying one of those. I love it.

Here's a website with animations you can download:
http://959.svideo.org/

http://www.kenwood.net-disp.com/
Looks like I found the receiver I am going to buy. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I've got the same Pioneer as "msaskin"

Has ALL the Bells and Whistles. and looks better than the compatition because it has the screesavers Dolphins/Racecars/Sterio Needels etc. Go mine for $250 w/remote and MP3,XP,CDRW
get one like it at onlinecarsterio.com
 

·
No Regrets
Joined
·
803 Posts
Id go Pioneer

you can get the DEH-P7400 for around 250$ off ebay or any good electronics site. Or go balls out and get their top of the line DEH-P9400 for about 480$ I have the 7300 and absolutely love how easy it is to install and setup for my system. It looks great too.

Dave
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top