Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving up to a friends house last night, I was following my dad in his 96 LT1 M6 Trans Am. Keep in mind a LOT of smack has been talked between the two of us, as to who has the fastest car in the family.

While on the way up there, we're on a country road, and as we turn onto a long straight away he slows to 5 mph, and nails it! I see his rear end squat down, and unburnt fuel start erupting from his tail pipes. So I nail it too, but he had about a 3 car jump on me, and turbo lag extended that to about 6. Finally my turbos spooled and I held steady to about 100, when he let off.

So we get to the friends house, and more smack ensue's. I tell him if he wants to settle this once and for all, let's line up and stage. To my surprise he says sure.

We line up, on this long country road. I tell him on the count of three. Then take the engine up to 5,500 RPMS. 1.... 2.... 3....

I get the jump on him, and 1/2 a second after I dump the clutch, I hear massive tire squealing right behind me. But the AWD has me 4 car lengths ahead of him by the time I'm at 60 MPH, and I jump in front of him. I stay in it until about 110 MPH (to give him a chance to catch up) He holds even with me at about 4 cars back. Then I shut it down.

As we're turning around to come back, he asks "Can we go from 5 MPH?" I say"sure, but you'll probably beat me". So we line up again at 5 MPH, and this time we take off exactly at the same time.

It was amazing, we are side by side losing only inches to one another depending on who was shifting. Until about 90 MPH, when I just BARELY start to walk away from the LT1. At around 110, I can tell his nose is at my door, and we shut it down.

At this point a crowd had gathered outside the house, and to allow Dad to save face, I say that from a roll it was too close to call. But damn if that wasn't the best race I've ever had!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS- Both cars are bone stock, except the TT has a K&N, and the TA has a performance clutch.

TT has 123K on the clock

TA has 65K

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Ok, I don't know a lot about FBodies... how does the car you raced against compare to a 2000 Firebird?

My neighbor wants to race and we're going to bet dinner (they have to take my wife and I out, or vice versa) on the race. They want to do 2 out of 3, 1 from a stop, one from 5mph and one from 30mph.

FYI, the other night I "tied" a new version Z28 in a street race to about 75mph... actually I was about 1/2 car length ahead but he was slowly pulling when we had to shut down.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The 2000 T/A is an LS1. 345 at the crank, probably 290-300 at the wheels. Bone stock you might win the stop race, and could win the 5mph race if he messes up, but the 30mph is probably his. Then again I won against an LS1 z28 from 50-130 by about a car and a half with only my mods (which aren't very significant). Anything can happen, and since its a friendly race do it! :)

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
A $5 valve would turn that tie into a decisive victory for you. 93 Stealth TT, 130k miles, no mods but a K&N and bleeder = 13.2 @ 105

1 - 6 of 6 Posts