Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm still trying to remove the crank shaft pulley with little sucess. Other than bending the breaker bar snapping flat stock and pipes. I have done nothing, curious to know is it a left handed thread?
Please tell me that its not!

BlackRoseRT

Help I am desperate Thanks to any reply!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It is normal threads - I'm suprised you are having so much problem with it (both mine came off without incident but they were out of the car and I used two flywheel bolts to keep it from turning) - it is torques to 145-150 IIRC so it is on there tight. Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much for the reply and i feel better about myself being reashured that i am not a moron but man i have a 31 inch bar holding the pulley in place wedged into the concrete and still unable to move the bolt going to try impact gun next.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What is the breaker bar on? I can't picture how you are using the breaker bar. Mitsu has some lame ass tool that is supposed to keep the crank from turning by "grasping" the pulley via the two pins in the pulley.

If your starter is still hooked up, try this. Take your breaker bar and put the crank bolt socket on it and the crank bolt. Wedge this against the frame rail - so the bar aims at about 4:00 o'clock. Stand back and crank the starter (make sure you don't start it by accident) - the engine will spin clockwise and if the breaker bar holds the bolt will loosen.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Craftsman 1/2" ratchet. I think I had to use a 3" extension to clear the pulley, but didn't need a socket. Mine bolt had a 1/2" square fitting. Rest ratchet on frame, make sure it is going to go the right way. Bump the starter with the key.

All done. Worked for me on a couple of cars and my VR4 was no different.

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
By far, the easiest way to get this off is with air tools. If you have access to an air compressor and a ½" drive impact wrench, it will come off with no problems. If not, you will prolly end up doing the old ratchet againts the frame, crank the motor trick.

Good luck,

Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its finally done and so you all understand what happened, except for the air tools and turning the starter i did everything 1/2 inch set it up had the pulley locked etc.. Plus had steel pipe over braker bar to add length for better leverage. Well I ended up building my own tool which has become my pride and joy. 3/8 thick about 31 inches long 2 1/2 inches width carbon stee wheighing in at 8 to 10 poundsl(nothing is going to break that.When using that tool however is when i turned the breaker bar into a candy cane!) measured the two holes distance from center cut out a grove drilled got to hardened steel pins special tool bingo. Finally after kicking and screaming whacking with a two pound sledge it popped. My thinking here is the bolt is supposed to come off in about two or three years the car is a 92 the heat from the engine fused the first few threads, because it is now about 10 years that bolt hasn't moved (which you all probably knew already)

*I APPRECIATE ALL THE REPLIES AND HELP AND STILL FEEL WITH OUT THE HELP FROM THE BOARD THIS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ACCOMPLISHED THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!*

BLACKROSERT :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.