Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, not much of a win usually, but since I had the cam, headers, pulleys, and a couple of other small mods done I had yet to mess with anyone on the street.
I saw Mustang tail lights ahead of me so I worked myself up to him. We got stopped at a light next to eachother (with traffic in front of us) and I honked my horn at him. He ignored me so I did it again and when he looked up I gave him a thumbs up! :D He rolled down his windonw and I gushed over his car. (At the time I thought it was a Cobra) He had a nice rounded cowl hood, fat wheels in the back and all were chromed and looking good. He had a huge shift light on his dash and some gauges on his pillar. I did not hear a whine, but he could have been SC, but I doubt it. I told him his car was sweet and he asked me what year mine was, "It's a '98" I replied. He said, "cool" and the light changed. I stayed near him for a bit and finally we got some open room in front of us so I eased up next to him in 3rd gear running about 55-mph. I looked over smiling and he nodded and downshifted, slowing his car down. I downshifted again to second and was around 4,000-rpm with him about a car 1 to 1/2 of a car length in front of me. I tried to ease back up to bring our noses even, but the more gas I gave it, the louder he got until I just had it floored (so I guess the race had already begun!) I eased up next to him and was about a car length (or less) ahead when I shifted to 3rd with a resounding bark from the tires and a quick wiggle from the butt (been a while since I have done that!) and proceeded to leave him. Only a couple of seconds after that I think he got off the gas due to a car coming up in his lane. We got next to eachother again and I told him he was the first person I had raced since the headers and cam, he said that he was, "lovin' my car!". Anywho, he was cool and I got to play...finally! Curious to know if he was a SC GT or not?

The next day I had a Miata with some younger guy (probably about my age ! :D) tailing me along a two lane road with traffic right in front of me (kind of pissed me off). I took a right at the next light and went to the left lane while I watched him take the inside (right) lane and quickly disappear from my rear view mirror (as he was moving up for a pass). I was already in second at about 2200-rpm, so I hammered it knowing this guy was trying to blast by me. I was surprised that by the top of second I could only see about half of his car in the rear view mirror, but after I was close to topping out 3rd I had about 8-car lengths on him (don't ask me about the math, I just know he was way back there and I could still see his headlights bounce as he shifted hard). We stopped for the next light, both of us going different directions and he gave me a thumbs up! Cool! I returned the gesture.

6-freaking months without a race and "BOOM!", I get two within 24-hours! I know they are somewhat lame, but I was happy to race anything!:D

Hopefully soon a friend will come through with a setup race between me and a '95 Viper RT/10. I will be sure to post if that happens! ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
hey buddy,here is an idea!.....sell your camaro or what ever the hell u got,buy a 3si car and then come back here and make some posts :D Did u miss the banners and pictures of stealths and 3000gt's? Not that u are not wanted,but aren't there any camaro /firebird internationals on the web?They might be more interested in your stories :p sorry if I have offended u:) p.s. what is up with that "nostral"photo?

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
chuck said:
hey buddy,here is an idea!.....sell your camaro or what ever the hell u got,buy a 3si car and then come back here and make some posts :D Did u miss the banners and pictures of stealths and 3000gt's? Not that u are not wanted,but aren't there any camaro /firebird internationals on the web?They might be more interested in your stories :p sorry if I have offended u:) p.s. what is up with that "nostral"photo?
I hope you are joking since I don't know you and you only have 15 posts....

Nice kills, FASST LN. :) Gotta love the black combined with the power. Brings a sense of scariness to it, huh? ;) Btw, you ever get your front bumper fixed?

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ruiner,
since it is not very noticeable on the street, and it will run me about $500 to get it repainted, I will probably just leave it as is. Chances are in the future someone will hit me in a parking lot or something and then I will just let their insurance pay for it assuming they mess up my car even worse (not talking about fraud here! :D ).

New Guy,
my brother has a '95 VR4 so I started coming on here gathering information to do a couple of light mods to his car. :) At the time there were a lot of wild rumors about the LS1 cars, so I helped to set those straight, and in doing so made a bunch of friends on this board. :D If you think the only people that should be on here should own a 3SI, then you are pretty narrow minded to only be concerned about what your car can do and not even be concerened about the "competition". :eek:
So I don't think I will be taking your advice about selling my car or leaving the board, thanks though.

Oh, and about the hood (I call it a nostril myself), it is the essence of a SS Camaro, there is no mistaking it. I can't really think of something like that to aiken it to for your car other than the "Twin Turbo" insignia on the side of your car that differentiates it from the SL's and base models.

·
Registered
557 Posts
thanks 4 setting me straight,like i said, i hope i don't offend u,I just thought u were here to "start some shit"on the boards.You have to admit though,to a new guy,(actually i've had my car for over 3 years and been to the boards many a time,just never registered) your post is a "little out of place"......peace :cool:

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
chuck said:
thanks 4 setting me straight,like i said, i hope i don't offend u,I just thought u were here to "start some shit"on the boards.You have to admit though,4 a new guy,(actually i've had my car for over 3 years and been to the boards many a time,just never registered) you have to admitt your post is a "little out of place"......peace :cool:
That's all well and good that you have owned your car for that long, but you registered in October of 2001 (so you are very very new). Thus, you are a newbie. Now look at FASST LN's stats. He has almost 1000 posts on this board and registered back in Dec of 1999... Obviously he is rather respected if he is still here...

FASST LN came to one of our gatherings through the connection with his brother. We welcome all here. If he wishes to post a kill story on a Mustang, an S2000, or even a VR-4, he is more than welcome to do so. He helps us by giving us much needed info about the LS1 competition... ;)

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...your post is a "little out of place"

Um, is this not a "kill list"? Did I not write about a kill? How is it out of place, and why would you think I was trying to start flame stuff over here. I never even mentioned a 3SI or a DSM in my story. Whatever.

PS- If you come across some extra jet engines in your work that you guys don't need, let me know and maybe I can strap them to my car! :D:D
(That is for anyone who has read the "Darwin Awards"!) ;):D:D:D

Ruiner,
thanks for the vote of confidence! I bet your car is easily in the hight 12's now with this recent cold snap, probably around 112-mph?

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Fasst ln,
Nice kill on the mustang GT. The race sounded kinda close so chances are he did have a sc. What gen was it? Oh and about you posting here on 3si. Well i'm also new but i've seen you post a lot and you seem helpful and don't talk shit on 3/S so i don't see why anybody would have a problem with you. :)

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
FASST LN said:

Ruiner,
thanks for the vote of confidence! I bet your car is easily in the hight 12's now with this recent cold snap, probably around 112-mph?
Haven't run it in this cold weather, yet... Although, I don't believe that I will see much more than 109-110mph traps. I am not sure. I was able to pull a few 107s in the 92+deg heat, but I guess we'll see if the cold weather can give me an extra 2-4mph. 112mph is rather optimistic.

What I really need is a lightened flywheel and new clutch. A good carbon fiber driveshaft wouldn't hurt, either. ;)

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Firestorm, unfortunately this happened last Thursday so my memory is waining, but I know it had the vertical tailights, but not like the new '99 versions. I think that is a '96 to '98 model?
His car really was gorgeous (is that the correct spelling?) :D I would have liked to of raced him again, but I had been at work since 7:15 AM and went to class right after that and it was 10:00 PM now, so I was tired and ready to get home to see the wife and dog! Plus there was a good bit of traffic on the road we later turned onto, so a rematch might not have presented itself.

Like I said, I know the "Kill" itself is a bit lame, but it had been so long that I was going nuts to try out the new mods on someone.:D:D

It is hard to say if it was close or not becuase I don't know when he started braking for the car in front of him. If it was later, then I was running from him pretty decent, if he braked earlier then maybe it was a tough race. Either way I know I started out behind him and I never saw his brake lights when he did slow down so I won. Man, breaking 275mm tires lose going about 65-mph is quite a feeling.:):):)

·
Registered
557 Posts
what else do u want me 2 say.......I'AM SORRY:( :( :( ,if there were more of u guys posting kills not having to do with dsm's than i would not have said "out of place",thats it .it's done,.....as for the extra engines,sorry, uncle sam would frown on that,we kind of need them to get those ragheads......:eek: opps hope I just diden't start some new shit!!!!:D ;)

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Fasst Ln: those 96-98 GT's only have 215 HP and i think around 260 LB Torque. So looking at your car i doubt it would have been very close if there were no other cars around ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
nice kills fasst ln, you gonna get a new 1/4 time to go with the new hp/tq numbers? good luck with that viper, have someone get that one on tape! btw, where'd you get your underdrive pulleys? my buddy want's to get a set of ASP's for his 99 TA but they're on back order for like 4 months.

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toxic,
thanks! I would like to get back to the track, but I am a bit afraid of blowing up my rear differential. I got my ASP's from Tom Byrne Motor Sports (big sponsor on the LS1.com board) back in April, I ordered them in February, so I know about the back-order, and it sucks! :) The car does seem to rev a bit faster so I think it was a good mod. Plus it is less wear and tear on the accessories.

Chuck, don't sweat it. It is all good.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I raced a heads/cam/bolt on 4.6L GT and killed him (3-4 cars) from a roll. I also raced a cams/heads/bolt-on LS1 that absoltuely killed me from a roll (3-4 cars). A solid cams/headers/bolot-on LS1 is a 400rwhp car and competes with the top BPU supras. Seeing as this guy was even close leads me to think that he had some good mods (I think NOS if you couldn't hear the charger and he had all the tachs). Good run and take comfort in the fact that you just beat the fastest GT you will ever likely run into.

·
5,179 Posts
A Mustang GT with mods has a lot of potential and this guy probably had something because he had a shift light and fat tires.
The 4.6 is just expensive to mod. More than I would want to spend :(

Fasst Ln: Have you had your car on a dyno since the head and cam install?

Weapon X: Heads and cam 4.6 Mustang Gts (1996-1998) are not that much faster than the 99+ model GTs.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Ruiner said:
Gotta love the black combined with the power. Brings a sense of scariness to it, huh? ;) Btw, you ever get your front bumper fixed?
Damn my car is black but is kinda lacking the power part...DAMN ATX. HEHE:D

BTW sweet kill man...lets see those new 1/4 times. HEHE;)

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"and take comfort in the fact that you just beat the fastest GT you will ever likely run into."

LOL!!!:D:D

I still have the stock heads on the car, what I do have is headers, the exhaust portion that comes right out of your engine. Anywho, I had 337-rwhp before the headers but after the cam and pulleys. Once the headers went on I picked up a lot of low end torque, but around 4,000-rpm I started to run rich on the dyno and my power dropped off. I ended up with 350-rwhp, and 348-rwtq. My setup on the street does not run rich so I figured it should be good for about 360-rwhp. I just ported and polished my TB and did the !EGR (cut a pipe out of the way of my intake) free mod. Hopefully this will push me up to about 365-rwhp, but we will see.

The 1/4 time in my signature was 60-rwhp ago, so I figured take off about a half second and add about 5-mph, and that should be a good idea of what I could do on an ideal run. (12.5 @ 115-mph)

I probably won't get heads for my car sine they cost so much (over $2-grand), but if I should come into a set for cheap then it would be my next mod.:):cool: :cool: :confused:

·
1 slick Mothafu*ka
2,287 Posts
Nice Kill FASST LN.
I'm dying to race one of the newer GT's! i know i'd probably get my butt handed to me from a stop but ever since i installed my flywheel, My car feels much much faster at higher speeds.
I had no problem redlining 4th gear about 3 weeks ago (130 MPH) and the car wasn't even breaking a sweat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts