Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Purchased a cheapo downpipe off eBay and was test fitting it. It actually fits decent. I had to crank down on the bolts a bit but it conformed.
Spends like $2k on heat shielding, a few grand on some seats, COP setup, turbos, who knows how much on the engine... and then buys some cheap ebay downpipe lol.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Meh, I get it. It's not a top shelf $1000 titanium downpipe. But at the end of the day, it's a pipe. As long as the welds don't crack, it fits and it flows decent, I'm good with it. It's really just to get me by, until I find an exhaust I really like. (Dual tip/true dual exhaust). I actually have an ATR full exhaust, sitting right next to me. However, their downpipe doesn't bolt up and seal against the IPS O2 housings. I used it on my previous build and it always had an exhaust leak. So if this eBay exhaust doesn't hold up, I always have that as a spare. It would just need to get fabbed up, to fit properly. I just never cared for the catback dual exhaust design, where it shares the driver's side muffler. It sounds great though.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Still chipping away at it.

Replaced the filter in the Fuelab 828 housing, with a Fuelab 71808 6-micron glass filter. Bottom is old, top is new:

Had to "modify" the Oohnoo crank pulley tool, to work with the Fluidampr pulley. Instead of grinding down the original studs, I opted to use some class 12 bolts. Pretty straight forward process. Drilled the back side of the studs out, then tapped for a 12x1.75mm bolt.

Works perfectly now and torqued to 135 ft/lbs. Had to use a cheater bar on the tool, while I torqued the bolt down. I'm not that strong apparently. lol

Starting to come together. Also painted the idler pulley with VHT ceramic paint and baked at 200*. Not too shabby.

Installed E2K fuel rails and ID1300x injectors:

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,959 Posts
Man, that's a thing of beauty.....

Bob. :)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Man, that's a thing of beauty.....

Thanks Bob. Definitely appreciate it. I’m trying to pay attention to detail, so I don’t regret not doing something down the road. I’m happy with the look so far. More importantly, it needs to perform next. lol. I still gotta figure out what I’m doing with the upper timing belt covers. My old ones are cracked pretty bad and Mitsubishi doesn’t sell them anymore. 3sx sells the clear ones, not sure if I like the looks of them or not.

But I’ve officially replaced every bolt and nut on this engine. Replaced with either a new OEM or stainless steel fastener. I have all the old bolts and started wire wheeling them. I’ll eventually send them off somewhere, to get zinc plated and use them as backups.

·
13,959 Posts
I would be very weary of the 3sx clear timing covers. I have read numerous posts saying they don't fit well and tend to crack.
I love the look, but I wouldn't want to drop a good chunk of change on those only to have them fail shortly after install.

Just my .02

Bob.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
Your input is very much appreciated and I was wondering about that. They look like something that would also fog up after a while. As you mentioned, they aren't cheap. I'll search out a set of OEM ones. Thanks Bob!

·
13,959 Posts
Did you just buy that BLUE Stealth TT in VT?

Sneaky devil...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Did you just buy that BLUE Stealth TT in VT?

Sneaky devil...

Hahaha....maybe.........🤪

But yes. Paul (StealthTTinVT) and I worked out a deal. I'm pretty excited about it. A mystic blue Stealth was the first 3/S I ever saw and it's been ingrained into my head, since the late 1990s. I've always wanted one in that color. My boys and I have been missing driving the Stealth (since I've been taking my sweet time with the red one). The stars just happened to align and it worked out.

The car should be ready either this week or next. Then I'll send the payment and get transportation arranged. I plan on keeping it a BPU build. I'll try to keep the blue Stealth reliable and drivable, while the red one will be my tinkering car.

·
13,959 Posts
Congrats!!!
Seems like those Vermont folks like their BLUE 3s's.
My oldest and I flew there to buy his BLUE 94VR4 :)
I do LOVE that color!! (not sure about the new wheels though...)

Bob.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Thanks! Yeah, I noticed that as well. When I was looking fo rone, most of the Mystic/Fuji blue cars were found up north and in the west. The only one I've ever seen here in Florida, was that very first one. As for the wheels, those are staying with the owner. :) I'm sticking with the OEM wheels for now.

·
13,959 Posts
Good call on the "fans" :)
The only other wheels I ever thought of switching to is the 2g Stealth 5 spoke chromies.... (on my 92 TT)

Can't wait to see "your" pics when its ready!!!

Bob.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Great minds think a like. I'm a 2nd gen 5 spoke fan as well. I'd grab a set, if I can find a decent set. I don't mind the 2nd Gen 3000gt 6-spoke either. But definitely prefer the 5 spoke. Apparently, Eric @ Cherry Hill said they're making the 6-spokes new again. But they are $3600 for a set. 😳 That's more than my Volks. 😬

·
13,959 Posts
Funny, because I switched from the stock 17" 5 spoke Spyder wheels to the 18"- 6 spoke shortly after purchase.
I got a great deal from a long time member....$1000 shipped from FLA :)
They were and still are near perfect and I love the look.

If I could have found a set of 2g Stealth wheels in as good of shape, I would have had them on the car....(again, the 92TT)

Bob.

·
13,959 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Got the new firewall insulation cutout and mounted in the bay. The right side is drooping a bit, but will be brought up when the brake booster is added.

Also got my Kinugawa order in. Michael informed me, that I could just custom order an actuator, through the website. So thanks to him, for pointing that out to me. I never did hear back from Kinugawa's "custom" order guy. Either way, it worked out in the end. I ended up ordering for the rear turbo, their "Universal" actuator kit and the adjustable bracket. The universal kit came with a bunch of different rod sizes. However, the longest rod in the kit is 180mm, which is just a tad too short. In the picture, it threads on but there isn't enough for my comfort zone. So I just ordered a 190mm and a 200mm rod and those should be here this weekend.

Also, what are you guys doing for the front oil return? I'm not comfortable, with this slope:

·
13,959 Posts
You're not REALLY going to drive this, are you?

So beautiful....

Bob.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
You're not REALLY going to drive this, are you?

So beautiful....

Bob.

Haha, I definitely will. However, it will be the old man syndrome with this one. lol. I'll drive it, beat it up a bit. Then come home, wash/clean it up and put back in the garage till the next time. Another reason I bought the blue one. That way I can switch off. haha.

On another note, I have to remove the timing belt and intake cam gears. I forgot that stupid timing belt cover, that sit in between the cylinder heads. Apparently, you can't install it w/ the intake cam gears on. I remember this screwed me about 10 years ago and just went w/o it since then. But I wanted to put it back this time and I forgot about it, until I saw it sitting in my powder coated box. I was like, what's this and then was like dammmmmit. I know if I don't install it, my Irish luck will bite me in the ass. I wanted to double check my cam degreeing anyways, so just gives me a a kick in the pants to do it.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,323 Posts
That is one long a** front return lol 😆 any reason for not routing behind the bracket, as intended?

My boys have a solution for that pesky shield:

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

Reactions: AdamVR4
161 - 180 of 220 Posts