Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Saweet! Looks so nice! I've gotta shine up that COP cover, to match to rest of my parts. :). BTW, I really like your Rvenge back panel. Looks badass!

17,436 Posts
Saweet! Looks so nice! I've gotta shine up that COP cover, to match to rest of my parts. :). BTW, I really like your Rvenge back panel. Looks badass!
Thanks my wife got that for me for our anniversary, handmade.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,728 Posts
Thanks my wife got that for me for our anniversary, handmade.
Behind every great man, is an even greater WOMAN....
At least that's what my wife tells me....

Hrrmm...on the Monday morning of 6/11/2020, my wife came to the breakfast table, to have coffee and a small breakfast (before she went to work, and I got ready to work on my HONEYDOO list [I've been retired for 3 yrs now!!]).
She looked at me and said "Happy Anniversary"....I said "Oh FUDGE" (PG post).
36 years for us, so I claimed Oldsheimers....that didn't work so well.....

Bob. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hmm...curious if having aluminum spark plug covers will be an issue with misfires? My tuner seems to think so. Have you had them arc maybe? :unsure:

17,436 Posts
Hmm...curious if having aluminum spark plug covers will be an issue with misfires? My tuner seems to think so. Have you had them arc maybe? :unsure:
No, there's no way for this to happen unless you have a coil cracked in half. This is actually insulated much better than a normal spark plug wire because there's no high voltage in the wiring harness.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Man, 3 weeks goes by quick. Hope you all had a great 4th of July weekend.

I have been mostly working on smaller projects. I'm still in a holding pattern on re-assembling the engine completely. I ordered a crap ton of OEM bolts, as the original ones were showing their age. I looked into re-plating them and it was actually cheaper to just purchase new ones. I had a bunch of parts come back from powder coating and just dropped off more parts today, to get the same treatment (A/C bracket, A/C tensioner bracket, alternator brackets and a few other misc ones). So those parts will take a week or 2, to get completed. A quick pic of the motor mounts, power steering brackets, starter and transmission shields, knuckles and new hub bearings.

Also got a set of "Stealth" door sills done. Pictures don't do them justice. They look wicked.

Also got some additional parts polished. Sorry Chris, the Rvenge Performance engravings got removed on the COP plates. :confused: I need get a Rvenge Performance decal or something, to slap back on there.

While I was waiting for the parts and bolts, I painted the lower radiator support bumper. The previous owner of the car, said he ran over a tree stump at one point and it messed up the lower radiator support. I removed the beat up one and welded in a good used one a few years back, but I never painted it back then. It was originally a green so I sanded and re-sprayed that area and the front wheel wells.

As for another smaller task, my lower intake manifold was warped and out of spec. It's been like that for a while, as it's always leaked in that area. So I took a page from Eric and used a sheet of MDF and sandpaper and went to town. I purchased a new straight edge, that's within .001" accuracy. The lower intake manifold is spot on flat now. It should provide a much better mating surface now. I still need to port/gasket match it and polish the runners. I still need to check the upper manifold, to verify it's true.

I was able to re-assemble part of the passanger side suspension, a few days ago. I had ordered a set of SuperPro SPF2450K bushings a few weeks ago. They were on national backorder and got those in late last week. So I was able to press those in, along with a new lower ball joint. Pic of passanger side mocked up:

For another smaller project, I've been working with Bob (Oohnoo) on converting my coolant pipes over to A/N fittings. I purchased a set of SMIC from him, a month or so ago. So I know that man can weld aluminum like a boss. lol. So I drop shipped him a new Mishimoto radiator and sent him over my polished coolant housing parts for some work. He just finished and they look badass. I still need to purchase the fittings and hose. I'll get those ordered later this week.

Next projects for the next week, while waiting for the engine brackets to come back. The list seems to keep growing.

Order A/N fittings and SS hose, for radiator
Rebuild and clean the power steering rack
Clean the red overspray, off the driver's side coilover
Re-assemble driver's side suspension
Re-install sway bar
Remove baffles on the front/rear valve covers, clean and re-tap.
Rebuild OEM throttle body, w/ STM throttle body shaft seals
Research what kind of oil cooler setup I want. I'm going with a Setrab oil cooler. But I need to figure out, if I should go with a bigger front mount, or stick with a stock size side mount.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Man I'm so jealous. The powder-coated parts look amazing. How do you like the QuickJack? I just ordered the BL7000SLX yesterday lol.

·
One fix at a time
7,841 Posts
The cast aluminum parts on our cars really aren't that bad to weld on. So far I have done a transmission case, fuel rails, and a few custom intake manifolds without problems. I'd like to see how the valve covers weld but I don't expect anything different than the rest of the stuff. It's so nice being able to do your own fab work. I wish I would have started about 10 years ago.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Nice update!

If your a going with side mounted intercoolers then I recommend a front mounted oil cooler. It's what works best with that combination from my experience.
Thanks for posting. That's a perfect solution. Do you have the model # handy and what size lines are you using? Also, how did you mount it?

Man I'm so jealous. The powder-coated parts look amazing. How do you like the QuickJack? I just ordered the BL7000SLX yesterday lol.
I love the QuickJacks. Mine are only the 5000SLX and they work great for the Stealth. I've used them just a handful of times so far and I'll never go back to using a floor jack again. The only issue is, if you need to take the side skirts off the car, while it's up in the air. You can't reach the bolts to remove them, as the jack are in the way. But that's no big deal. I got a good deal on them, from Costco. Unfortunately, they don't sell the 7000SLX. As, I would have went with those too. I have a truck and an SUV, that I'll still need to stick w/ a jack and jack stands.

Where is that door sill from?
You can get the door sills from 3SX. I got mine used, from a FaceBook member and they had some heavy scratches on them. They were also a bit too flashy, for the interior of my car. So I opted to get them powdercoated.

The cast aluminum parts on our cars really aren't that bad to weld on. So far I have done a transmission case, fuel rails, and a few custom intake manifolds without problems. I'd like to see how the valve covers weld but I don't expect anything different than the rest of the stuff. It's so nice being able to do your own fab work. I wish I would have started about 10 years ago.
One of these days, I'm going to pick up a TIG welder and learn how to weld. I've even looked into taking classes, at a tech school. But the classes, IMO were on the too expensive side. I also don't have 220 out in the garage, or else I would have already picked one up and started practicing. So those two items, are going on the budget for next year. Thankfully, I don't think I'll need anymore fab work done for the Stealth. So in this case, it was a more cost effective, to have the TIG work outsourced to a professional. However, I like to enjoy doing work myself and will be going down that path next year.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for posting. That's a perfect solution. Do you have the model # handy and what size lines are you using? Also, how did you mount it?
The cooler is a Setrab Pro Line SLM 662x101x40 mm in size, I purchased it here:

Along with these AN8 adapters:

Here are some photos from by build thread of how I mounted it using two aluminum profiles.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,728 Posts
The cooler is a Setrab Pro Line SLM 662x101x40 mm in size, I purchased it here:

Along with these AN8 adapters:

Here are some photos from by build thread of how I mounted it using two aluminum profiles.
VERY nice work!
But from reading previous posts from you, for you it's probably just AVERAGE.

Again, quality stuff :)

Bob.

Reactions: Unlogic

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
That’s awesome. You just saved me a crap ton of work. Thanks for posting. Do you happen to measure temps? I think I might invest in some fittings and two temperature sending units, to measure before and after the cooler.

·
Registered
329 Posts
No problem, I'm just glad to give something back since you provided such unique information regarding the SPX seats (I'm waiting for my set to arrive now).

I log both oil temp and oil pressure. With this oil cooler in place the oil temperature never goes above 93° during normal driving even on the hottest days.

During normal track use like this it hovers around 105°:

More intense driving like the high speed autocross below pushes the temperature to around 110° - 115° after a few back to back runs:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Awesome and very nice 3000GT! It looks great.

I cracked up at the spin out. That's always a pucker up moment, when that happens.

On another note, I just ordered the same Setrab SLM 592-10 and A/N adapters from Pegasus Auto Racing. Should be here next week and I'll start fabbing up the aluminum profiles. Once again, thanks for doing 99% of the work for me. lol

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,518 Posts
If you plan to push some boost, I recommend a good front mount intercooler. IAT data from upgraded side mounts on a car I tune has not been positive.

Edit: I scrolled back and you want to Max out 16gs. Get a good FMIC, IMO.

Also, project is looking killer!!

81 - 100 of 141 Posts