Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

341 - 353 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Ahh gotcha. So yeah, you were in the exact scenario. lol.

That's funny, as I just read that post a few days ago, then I ran into my issue. I went to search for it and couldn't find it. Facebook's search is awful. So thanks for posting that.

As for the axles, yeah, it's the bearing fo the DS half shaft that I'm concerned about.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,728 Posts
Haha pretty much! Seems to be okay so far, but it is good to have options with all of the solutions found/shared. Aaaand yes, it does suck and usually requires applying some filters to narrow down search results.

If the caps/covers and everything else are good, then something like this is a solid possibility for you:

Mitsubishi OEM 3000GT Stealth CV Shaft Bearing Bracket Rebuild Kit << new internals

Something like this is even easier, and then you can work on a fresh spare on the side:

Mitsubishi OEM 3000GT Stealth CV Shaft Bearing Bracket Rebuild Kit << complete assembly

Obviously, you can shop around and pick a vendor/supplier lol - just examples above.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
Awesome. Appreciate those links. I'll be making a call to Cherry Hill Mitsu, as they know me by name by now. lol.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
New ARP bolts came in:

Flywheel is installed and bolts torqued down nicely. The instructions that came with these bolts said to use Loctite 242 and assembly lube under the bolt head. OEM torque specs for these bolts are supposed to be 55-ft/lbs but instructions said to increase to 70-ft/lbs. So I just followed their instructions except I didn't have any Loctite 242 on hand, so I opted for red instead. Might need a torch to get these off later on down the road. lol. Also fabbed up a "flywheel stopper", out of a spare piece of aluminum I had. This was to prevent the flywheel from moving on me, when putting torque on the bolts.

Assembling the clutch.

All assembled, minus the pressure plate. It was actually a bit challenging to hold everything together and then get the pressure plate installed.

She's good to go and ready to rip:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
Well, I went to install the transmission last night and quickly realized I forgot to install the clutch fork and throw out bearing. lol. Doh, that would've sucked! So...where did I put those parts again? After about an hour of searching, I finally found my stash of clutch forks. However, I can not for the life of me, find my new throw out bearing (I swear I ordered one last year). But it's no where to be found. So I placed a call to Cherry Hill earlier today and ordered a throwout bearing, a new slave cylinder and the DS half-shaft bearing. So those should be here sometime next week. I have to look through my receipts/invoices, as it's possible my mind is toast and I never ordered it that throwout bearing last year. Knowing my luck, it's still hidden somewhere. Oddly enough, I know that I had two older TOBs and I can't find those either. Scratches head. I know I wouldn't have thrown those away, as they only had a few thousand miles on them. Ah well....lesson learned to be better organized.

Anyways, since mounting the transmission is at a standstill, I did some more blasting/powder coating today. I figured I'd clean up the shifter brackets and clutch fork.
After sandblasting, I use 12-gauge wire strands, to wire them up for coating. I then put the alligator clip from the powder coating box, directly on the wires, to provide that positive charge.

This is the oven I've been using. It works great to do these smaller jobs and was fairly cheap.

Pic of the bracket and fork coated. The one thing I've noticed, is that these two forks have different numbers stamped on them. Does anyone happen to know the difference? They look identical but wasn't sure. Anyways, it's amazing how long things take sometimes. Took me 2 hours to blast and coat these little dinky things (including build up and teardown time of all blasting/coating gear).

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
I finally got this sweet ass Rvenge rebuilt transmission installed about a week ago. I forgot how much a PITA it is to install transmissions in these cars. lol. It's obviously been a while for me.

Since I'm old and feeble these days, lol, I just use an engine hoist to lift it up. I'm pretty sure it was Chris (Rvenge) that suggested using some M12 bolts and cutting the heads off of them. This way the transmission is rests its weight on the bolts, instead of the clutch splines. So this time I decided to give this method a shot. Bought some M12 x 1.75 x 120mm bolts from ACE Hardware and hacked the heads off them. It worked but I had to pull the bolts at first, then lift the transmission up high enough, to then slide the "guide" bolts through. This method gave me confidence, that I wasn't putting any weight what so ever on those clutch splines. I think I remember reading stories about RPS voiding warranties due to that. After the transmission was resting on the guide bolts, I still had an "exciting" time trying to get the input shaft into the clutch. It took me about 30 minutes to get the damn thing aligned and slid on all the way. But in the end, success!

Prior to installing it, I also made a "hoist bracket", to mount directly on the transmission. I know some people just bolt the chain directly to the transmission, but I didn't want to scratch up my shiny new transmission. lol I figured I had some aluminum laying around and wanted to see how it would work. On another note, I don't know how some people can bench press this thing into the car. I about dropped a nut, trying to lift it up on to the dolly.

Got the shifter cable brackets and Seattle transmission mount installed.

Now that the transmission is installed, I'm working on tearing down and cleaning up the front axles. I purchased some new Beck/Arnley boots, which came with new clips and grease. I only received the first set of boots and the other set should come later this week. In the meantime, figured I'd start knocking out the passanger side one first. Tomorrow, I'll blast/powdercoat the cups and axle itself. BTW, the grease that came out of these boots was nasty. It was more like ooze than grease.
Either way, once I get this one done, I'll do the same treatment on the driver's side. I also got a new bearing kit for the driver's side axle, courtesy of Cherry Hill Mitsubishi. Once I get the axles done, I can get them installed and then button up the bottom end, to finally get this as a "roller" again.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,756 Posts
Absolutely badass build. Insane.

What turbos again? Evo3’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,029 Posts
I can't wait to see it and hear it run.
An absolute thing of BEAUTY!!!

Great work Richie :)

Bob.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
I can't wait to see it and hear it run.
An absolute thing of BEAUTY!!!

Great work Richie :)

Bob.
Appreciate it Bob. I am too. I'm getting more and more antsy, the further along this project comes. I still have a crap ton of work to do still (mainly wiring) and rebuilding the rearend. But before I dig into the rear end rebuild, I'm gonna get it running and moving first. I'm really hoping to get this thing moving under it's own power, within the next month or two. But I'm not rushed and don't have an exact deadline. However, I'm loving the fact that instead of kicking random parts on the floor, they are finally finding a home. lol

I did get the passanger side axle knocked out today.
Axle and cups/cases powdercoated:

Installing the new boots/clamps. I purchased this tool off Amazon and made installing the clamps and piece of cake. For only $18, totally worth it.

Final product and all put back together. Good as "new".

The boots came in for the driver's side. So tomorrow (time willing), I'll get that one knocked out as well.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 ·
I know these aren't the most exciting updates, but it's what I'm currently working on. lol

Started working on restoring the driver's side axle. I found a post by Michael a year ago, that was very handy. So thanks for writing that up dude!
Center Bearing Bracket Bearing and Seals part numbers

I got the intermediate shaft separated from the bearing / bracket, but that was a chore. As Michael's write up had confirmed, there's no easy way to not royally screw up those metal shields. I ended up having to use a 3 arm'd gear puller, to get the axle removed. In that process, I absolutely destroyed one of the shields. However, I wasn't too concerned about it. I had already messed them up about 10 years ago, when I installed an aftermarket axle. After getting the shaft removed, I verified the old bearing and it actually seemed good. The only reason I wanted to rebuild this part, was because the axle felt notchy, when I spun it. It seems like those metals shields, were causing the issue. Ah well, it's getting a new bearing now.

Sandblasted the bracket and the intermediate shaft. The bracket was actually a beotch to sandblast, because it's casted and has so many indentations.

Looking pretty again, after powder coating:

I don't have a press, to install the bearing. However, I had a Maddox ball joint kit that worked great for this. It had a cup that fit perfectly, to press the bearing in. I also used it to install one of the seals.

New bearing pressed in. I greased both sides, before installing the seals.

For the other seal, I just gave it some love via a rubber mallet. I used one of the cups from the ball joint kit, to even the shock load:

Last but not least, the final product:

Next step is the disassemble the rest of the axle. Then blast, coat and reassemble with new boots/grease/clips/etc. I haven't been able to get much done today, as it's been raining on and off and work's been busy. So hopefully I can get some work done tonight. This restoring process just takes up so much time. But it will be worth it in the long run....I think. lol.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,029 Posts
Jesus Richie, for someone that's not doing well (I get it, I just took a 20 minute "help my sorry ass ankle" walk in the rain). :)
I love your attention to detail.
Keep posting, it NEVER gets boring....

Bob.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,728 Posts
Nicely done! Lmao at the shields... those things suck durability-wise for R&R. Also, that is my favorite mallet lol 😆 "Made in the USA 🇺🇸 " finally became detached after a few years of service 😅

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

341 - 353 of 353 Posts