Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Nowadays, you can probably just buy one of the gillion DSM TD05 options and tweak it to work for your car lol.
The first time I read this, I was like, oh "gillion" must be a new vendor and I spent about 10 minutes searching for them. Then I realized I'm an idiot and I facepalmed myself. lol.

It would definitely be fantastic to buy something off the shelf. Hoping to find something instead of having to pay for fabrication work.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,323 Posts
Hahaha 😂 thanks for the laugh!

Just to elaborate on what I said with a few examples:

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
One fix at a time
7,888 Posts
That front turbo oil drain is still bugging me lol. I can't seem to find that low profile all in one drain flange/90 fitting. Maybe it was FB or IG I saw it. Anyways, on my DR T3 kit a long time ago I used a 1/2" NPT turbo oil drain flange and then a 1/2" NPT to -10AN 90 fitting. They may not have had swivel options at the time but that would work best. You may or may not have to cut down the threads on the 90 to get it to fit deep enough into the drain flange. I believe I did that on mine.

Here's some links to give you an idea. Maybe you can gain about 1/2-3/4" vertical clearance.

I was thinking of something like this:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Thanks guys. You guys are awesome. I've been getting my AN fittings through Summit. I might switch to Amazon, so I can return them easier. lol. These -10 AN fittings aren't cheap. I just put a post on FB, to see if anyone had an OEM return. The OEM one looks like it's the lowest profile one. I was also looking at Kinugawa and they might have a fitting that looks promising. However, I'm not sure if the bolt pattern, for the fittings, matches between TD04 and TD05? The fitting that struck my eye, was the fitting on the smaller hose, up top. It doesn't look like they sell it separately on their website, which means I'd be at the mercy of the "excellent" sales support again. lol.

17,467 Posts
As far as i know the fitting will work if you drill the bolt holes to 8mm. I am using the stock return flange for my Garrett 2867s actually.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #207 (Edited)
Just a quick update. Here's the most recent addition to the family:

She's still dirty as hell, from the trip down here. So tomorrow is finally cleaning day. She needs a bit of work (power steering belt is rubbing the timing cover, replace the oil pan and do a 120k tune-up). Another issue I ran into is, I am having problems getting it registered down here in Florida. In Vermont, they don't have to re-title cars that are bought/sold, if they are 15 years and older. Apparently, only the registration needs to be updated. The previous owner had a title, but it wasn't kept up to date, as it wasn't required to be. So when I went to register it down here, the Florida DMV wouldn't accept the paper work. So I'm working with the previous owner, to see we can dig up a newer title. If we can't find a more recent title, I'll have to register it up in Vermont, then transfer the registration down here to Florida. Which pretty much sucks, as I'll have to pay 6% tax to Vermont, then another 6.5% tax down here in Florida. So right now, I have 2 Stealths I can't drive. lol

As for updates with the red Stealth, I emailed Kinugawa, to see if I could just order their 90* return fitting. I got an instant reply and they sold me one for $20. I also purchased an OEM return hose from Hans. So those should be arriving within the next few days or so. So we'll see which one works better, for the IPS kit.

I also finished rebuilding this turd.

I pray to the almighty above, that it doesn't leak. The Autozone seal kit was missing a seal. So I just reused the old one, as it still looked good. I think this was my least favorite thing that I've had to rebuild on this car. I don't know why, as it wasn't crazy hard. I just didn't enjoy it. lol I did throw a VHT rattle can paint job on it and installed some new boots. I also purchased some new power steering bushings, from Bob/"Oohnoo". My passanger side bushing disintegrated on me, when I pulled the bracket off. So I replaced both of the bushings, just in case. He 3D prints them, as they aren't available from Mitsu. Pretty awesome and they are a perfect fit. I still have to do the steering wheel centering process.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
You do good work! As clean as everything is, I would consider de-greasing and clear coating things like the tie rod ends...not sure how well it would hold up, but as soon as surface rust starts, you know how you'll feel!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Thanks man. Appreciate the comments. I'm definitely trying to keep things looking as new as possible. I've been trying to powder coat everything that I possibly can (but know even PC has a limited lifespan). I think I've come to terms that if I want to drive the car, things are going to get dirty and deteriorate. I'm just trying to make everything as new-ish for pictures, so I can remember how clean it used to look. lol.

I did receive the fitting a few days ago and it bolts right up. Unfortunately, it's not going to work, w/o being modified. I purchased two of them and decided I'd take a risk and "bend" one a bit, to clear the front mount. Well, it kinked the line, as I suspected it would. So I either cut and re-weld the other one, to point more forwards or I try to find a better solution. I'm still waiting on the OEM return lines, to see what those look like.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Like I said, I had to cut that bracket to get it to work with stock fitting...then welded it with a brace to get strength back into it. Might have been worse than what you have there...looks like you may be able to cut and rotate and weld that one instead of cutting a stock one.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Just pickup one of the JPDC front motor mount brackets they sold with their TD05 adapter plate kit. Or you could mimic their front return fitting, also visible in the pic below. I kept the bracket when I sold my kit :)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Like I said, I had to cut that bracket to get it to work with stock fitting...then welded it with a brace to get strength back into it. Might have been worse than what you have there...looks like you may be able to cut and rotate and weld that one instead of cutting a stock one.
Gotcha. Thanks for repeating your solution. Trying to avoid not cutting the brace, if I can avoid it. I think I (my welder guy) should be able to modify the adapter. Then I'll just make a new AN line and wrap it around. Without that bracket in the way, it looks like it's got the downward slope it needs:

Just pickup one of the JPDC front motor mount brackets they sold with their TD05 adapter plate kit. Or you could mimic their front return fitting, also visible in the pic below. I kept the bracket when I sold my kit :)

NICE! Looks like a badass solution for the bracket and return. I'd imagine they are pretty rare these days. I'll put out a feeler on the Facebook Marketplace, to see if there's any bites.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
I was mostly kidding because I'm sure those are exceedingly rare, but figured some alternative ideas couldn't hurt. The return fitting was actually pretty leak prone because one of the screws passed through the oil passage. If you have all 4 motor mounts, I wouldn't hesitate to put a nicely radiused c-shaped clearance feature one one side of the OEM mount bracket.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Ah, so that’s the fitting, some of these older threads were talking about. lol. It’s reputation proceeds it.

But yeah, I appreciate the ideas. You got the wheels spinning in my head. I might grab another one of these brackets and take a hole saw to it, to get that “C” shape. I am a just a little concerned with that approach, as if it decided to collapse, then it will take out the fitting. I was reading in another thread, that someone just removed their front bracket, all together. Not sure I’m comfortable with that approach. lol

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,144 Posts
My engine is coming out tomorrow and once I have it on the stand I can get some pictures of what I did for the front oil return fitting on my TD05s using Kinugawa parts. I'm also pretty sure I have one of those JPDC oil return pieces sitting here still and can get some pics of it if you would like.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
My engine is coming out tomorrow and once I have it on the stand I can get some pictures of what I did for the front oil return fitting on my TD05s using Kinugawa parts. I'm also pretty sure I have one of those JPDC oil return pieces sitting here still and can get some pics of it if you would like.

That would be awesome. I'd definitely appreciate it.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,144 Posts
I used one of the Kinugawa oil drain pipes, cut a notch out of it and bent it at the appropriate angle and then welded it up and welded on a 10AN fitting. Its not the prettiest welds but it pressurized fine without any leaks.

Note that I am using the JPDC mount bracket so im not sure how much clearance difference there is with the stock bracket.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,959 Posts
Need new pics of the BLUE car :)
Also, seeing more shots of your
RED car makes me want to jack mine up and start cleaning something (everything!).

Bob.

201 - 220 of 220 Posts