Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a pretty big drain being pulled on my battery.

Itll die overnight if left hooked up.

It also pulls so much that the alternator has trouble charging it when it running.

So i start pulling fuses and checking for a change on the multimeter.

Fuses Under the hood checked out to be ok.

I get to the fuse box under the dash. And i finally find it. Very bottom all the way on the right. Only problem is, i dont have the cover for the fuse box so i have no clue what this fuse is for.

Anyone have any insight or know what this fuse is used for?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. It says that fuse 19 is battery. But then to the right it lists about 10 million things

·
Registered
449 Posts
Battery is the power source for the circuit while the 10 million things are are the loads on the circuit.

It's not as helpful of an answer as I'd like to have given but at least it's something.

·
Keith
717 Posts
It is HIGHLY doubtful you have a draw that is large enough to overpower your alternator while driving (if your alternator is in good condition). Unless you added a bunch of speakers or other items.

I do think your battery has deep cycled too many times and is in need of replacement. Also your alternator has been over worked and may need to be rebuilt or replaced.

In the mean time, I put a very simple battery kill switch in my car. Mostly a theft deterrent. But also I use a small light weight battery and it will drain if left un-driven for a few days. The switch and wire are a few bucks and takes minutes to install.

Here is the type of Kill switch i used. Many different styles. Some cheaper, some more expensive. Easily hidden too.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoostliss-Battery-Isolator-Disconnect-Vehicles/dp/B071D55VM3/ref=sr_1_4?crid=37LHCWKBCIYDD&keywords=battery+kill+switch&qid=1556033122&s=gateway&sprefix=battery+kill,aps,171&sr=8-4

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery was tested good. Bought a new one anyway.

Alternator was tested at autozone and orielys, that also tested good.

The draw is 0.011- 0.017 its bounces between those numbers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The info I linked you to is straight out of the factory service manual, that's as specific as it gets. You're going to have to start disconnecting the things listed until the drain goes away, I'd start with the ecs computer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I figured mine out, turns out it had a draw with the key out, not in the ignition. I just disconnected the wire that controls the ignition switch light and chime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts